SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookingofjoy

layout help?

13 years ago

I recently found this forum, and Ive been learning so much! I greatly appreciated BuehlÂs questions, and the modest and quirky kitchen thread. And the FKB is fantastic! I've loved reading everyone's insights, and I'm hoping that either there's a magical layout solution I've been blind to, or I'll be reassured this is really the only option for our space, and then I can be happy with what we can do :-)

WeÂre in a 1912 craftsman influenced farmhouse, and would like to keep things somewhat period-appropriate. WeÂre looking at a dark finish maple shaker cabinet to match the originals and a built-in in the dining room, and linoleum for flooring. I prefer light, open, happy and functional, so though I like warm and homey, IÂm afraid of the kitchen getting too dark.

HereÂs the blank space:

The current plumbing is centered under the double south-facing window. I like that space for the sink, having the view. The window could be extended to the east corner (which it was originally), but the vent is about 8 inches to the right(west), and IÂm hoping to not have to move that. WeÂd like to extend the windows up about 6" so they are consistent with the original windows and all the other windows in the house. WeÂd also like to double the west window to the backyard. The electric (no gas) is all getting updated, so thatÂs entirely flexible.

The kitchen is our main entrance to the home. The traffic from the basement/entry door through to the dining room takes up so much space. When I get a chance to actually cook or bake, I donÂt like being interrupted :-) So I was thinking of keeping the fridge closest to the dining, thinking the fridge will bring people into the kitchen more than entry from the outside. I can maybe handle being by the entry door. In the old layout, the fridge was by the entry door, so everyone would have to come all the way into the kitchen to get a snack or drink. Also, with that layout, it felt like there were many small sections of countertop (though really not that different, IÂm obsessing about a few inches!). HereÂs the old layout:

I think my goals are modest :-) My goals are to have at least one 48" section of countertop, baking storage/prep, cooking storage/prep. It will be a primarily cooking-only kitchen, with hopefully a work table for prep, kids snacks/lunches, kids help in the kitchen. Our family is 2 adults, 2 kids (6 and 3), and it only needs to accommodate one person (thankfully!). I like the idea of a kitchen "workshop". For meals and guests, weÂll be in the dining room. Another part of my struggle, is that weÂre opening the wall to the library/bedroom, it currently bumps out into the kitchen. IÂm not sure how the space is going to work, especially with the traffic.

And this is the only revision IÂve been able to come up with:

IÂm stuck on the library wall  I donÂt think I can have cabinets on that wall and still have space for the table. But countertop on that wall feels like it will be too far away to actually get used (except as storage space).

WeÂre trying to tackle quite a few projects in the home to get some basic updating done, so I need to be modest and budget-conscious (weÂre keeping our old appliances). But I also would prefer this be a remodel we want, not just a short-term fix that weÂre planning to redo before itÂs even in. And then at other times I think we should just get a portable dishwasher, a cheap sink and base and a table for now, til I figure it out! :-)

This got really long! Thank you in advance for any critiques and advice!

Comments (4)