SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_j

Counter Height - Elevating the kitchen floor? Possible solutions?

joe_j
14 years ago

Hi All:

We have a kitchen with the standard counter height (36"). However my wife is a little bit shorter than average. She is finding it difficult to work for longer hours in the kitchen due to the counter height issue.

A reduction of about 3 inches is all what she needs.

What is the best (and easy) approach to solve this problem?

Approaches we already considered:

1. Wearing a platform shoe - did not work, my wife doesn't even wear high heels.

2. Considered reducing the counter height - however we think this is a major remodeling project since we have to find non-standard replacements for our oven, dishwasher etc. Also our kitchen is rather smallish so we may not have the counter space to accommodate two single drawer dishwashers

3. Currently we are using two plywood platforms on wheels as shown in the pictures below this post. Apart from the aesthetic aspects, the temporary platform approach works OK as far as the height issue. However every time she wants to clean the kitchen floor I need to lift them up and move them away - they are too heavy for her to move.

Here are my questions:

1. Are there any other lightweight alternatives to this plywood platform? We are OK with thick synthetic floor mats, which are light enough for my wife to disassemble and move. Where can I find such mats?

2. Are there any other creative alternatives to solve this problem?

Thank you all in advance.

Joe

Plywood Platform in Wheels - with 3" height

Kitchen floor without the platform

Kitchen floor with a single platform

Kitchen floor with a both platforms

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor