SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

please help design my large kitchen

15 years ago

this is new construction. it's size while generous is turning out to be problematic in terms of proper work stations and overall function. i *think* i have a handle on a solution but would like your very valuable advice and opinions. it is a U shape with one (barrier) island and another 12' wall at the bottom of the layout that is to the left of the breakfast room. it measures roughly 22x18. my thoughts so far:

the sink wall will house a 36" shaws farm sink with two dishwashers; one on each side of the sink. trash pull outs directly across sink housed in the island. i'd like to keep upper cabs to a minimum along sink wall as in wonbyherwits fabulous kitchen ...which has two sets of ceiling to counter height cabs flanking the sink. i'd like them pushed over to the corners allowing lots of counter space on both sides of sink. the base cabs will be drawers of varying depths and widths to house flatware, dishes, etc.

the range will sit center between two windows. so no uppers there at all. i saw a christopher peacock kitchen i'm using as my inspiration. range is a 48". we'll also have a turbo chef single wall oven housed opposite range in the island. base cab drawers will house cookware/baking pans, spice drawer, oils...

the 12' wall at bottom of layout will hold a 30" fridge and 30" freezer separated by a counter. this is essentially a breakfast and "fast food" prep area. we'll have the microwave here along with toaster and toaster oven. i'll include another flatware drawer along with more dishes/bowls and possibly another small garbage can. base and upper cabs will be food/dry goods storage. there will be add'l pantry in the mudroom.

the wall to the left of the sink will be a closed baking cabinet, fashioned as an armoir. enclosed will be stand mixer, food processor as well as sugar, flour, and other baking necessities. large baking sheets/pans also housed in bottom drawers of armoir. it will set center flanked by a bar to one side and small desk area on the other. the bar will have a sink as well as beverage center below.

the island will be approx 6'x10'long and also have storage for cutting boards, trays. i could work in another prep sink here as well, but would rather not. it's going to have a marble top and for some reason i just don't want to cut a big hole in it. we plan seating for four facing sink.

i'm sure i've left some things out. i've tried to be as concise and specific as i could. i hope it makes sense. so, the layout while showing the dimensions and general shape does not show the appliances with the placements i've described. sorry this is so long... i'm doing the cottage white kitchen w/ marble counters. island will be stained. any comments are welcome. i "know" most of you by now and know enough that your collective experience and opinions are worth more than 100 kitchen designers. i want my vision, but i also want it to work. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1928129}}

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH