SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reeree_natural

would you paint these? big decision to make

reeree_natural
16 years ago

After seeing pictures on here of painted cabinets, I admired them so much. I would like to do mine.

Some of you might remember squirrel doing the virtuals for my dining room..I do want to get that finished also, but I can live with the color it is now a tad longer. I feel my kitchen needs it more.. this is now my priority ..I guess I figured out my kitchen really bugs me out of all the other rooms in the house.

We have very dark cherry wood cabinets, dark green granite and wood floors. also, the kitchen is on the north side of the house. I always felt it was way to dark and planned on a kitchen remodel down the pike that can be very expensive . I see I can get a new fresh look with out spending a fortune. (thanks to all the creativity on here) The shame of it is, the kitchen cabinets are only seven years old installed by the previous owner. She had them custom built by a cabinet maker and are solid cherry inside and out. I was discussing it with my husband last night and he told me to leave them alone, I will ruin the value of the kitchen.. I do not agree with him, but am a little nervous to take the plunge, as he put a little question mark in my head. My wheels have been turning for a few days now, the more I thought about it, new ideas kept popping in my head. I am thinking of cream cabinets with a coffee glaze, change the counter to a much lighter color, tans/browns in tone, put in a farm sink, with the possible idea of a skirt in a beautiful fabric under it, and last change the cabinet doors on either side of the window where the sink is to glass doors. Possibly putting fabric in there too, & change out the faucet and hardware to an oil rubbed bronze finish for a fraction of the cost of what a new kitchen replacement would be , we can have a brand new beautiful kitchen thatÂs lighter and brighter, not so dark and formal. I really need honest input here I was all revved up, but my hubby kind of put a dark cloud over my idea and now as I still want to do it, he made me a little nervous. Please tell me what you honestly think, this will mean a lot to me. Can I see pictures of your painted kitchen remodel and any thing you might be able to share. (tips, doÂs and donÂts your experience etc.) thanks!!!

Ree

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (80)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Have to agree with everyone, no I would not paint them. You can tell that someone spent a lot of cash on good stuff and to paint them would really be a shame. If you really dislike the cherry after making the changes suggested, perhaps you can sell them and buy what you want?

First let me say you have a beautiful kitchen. I would NEVER paint all the cabs, but if you want to brighten things up a bit, IMO, the glass front cabs and the cab holding the green pottery might do the trick and give the lift you're craving. I like the 'new' idea of two types of cabinet finishes in a kitchen.

Patty may be on to something... Perhaps if you change out a few doors it would give you the look you want? You should be able to have new faces made without destroying the original.. You can store them in case you want to sell eventually.

I'm also not nuts about cherry but if done right I could live with it. I don't know what happened but I always loved cherry... I also don't care for a white kitchen and agree with those that said painting the cabs are for cabinets that have no hope otherwise.

• DYH
    16 years ago

A few suggestions that I can see as possibilities -- When you paint the walls, consider painting out the door/door trim/crown to be the same color as your walls; Use a a semi-gloss of the same color.

Is that an over-the-range microwave? I'd replace that with an exhaust hood if it is within your budget.

Are the insides of your cabinets the same cherry wood? If so, you could remove a few doors (save and store them properly) to lighten up the walls.

The only cherry that I would consider painting is the island. But only after you've made your primary revisions to the space, wall color, backsplash and anything else you plan to change.

BTW, in my previous home, I had cherry cabinets, paprika walls, gravel Corian (dark gray/black), black painted island, solid cherry interior doors. I had beefy white trim. The ceiling was painted a light sage green. My rangehood was copper painted. Backsplash was stone/gray. White sink. SS appliances. Dark walnut hardwood floor. Sounds dark, doesn't it? We loved it!

You have a beautiful home! I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful.
    Cameron

• Related Discussions

Do you use towel hooks or bars? This is the big decision:)

Q

Comments (10)
    This is just great feedback from all of you. I just now went online and found a gazillion robe hooks but was able to eliminate most based on the advice given from your experience....looking for that deep hook that will hold the towel and keep it away from the wall for faster drying. I'm definately going with the hooks in the shower...and probably a bar in the tub area. Love the train rack idea with hooks but the budget won't let me do that one. Folkman, I'm impressed that you are a bar man and appreciate the look of a nicely displayed towel...I'm married to "drop man", but he has a lot of other fine qualities:) Thanks everyone!
    ...See More

BIG decision to make...

Q

Comments (20)
    God bless you, Amber. I have 5 myself. (15, 14, 12, 11 and 9). A 3 year old is a BIG responsibility. Not that an older child is NOT but at 3, they obviously need a lot more attention and overview than a 13 year old would, who could perhaps make their own sandwich for lunch, for example. I have to agree though...what's one more? It would be a huge adjustment at first but I'm sure you would have no regrets in the long run. The child does deserve a stable life...but just to be sure, is BM unstable? I realize that she is virtually homeless at the moment and is living with Dad but that is really not an immediate reason to assume custody. Is she neglectful? On drugs, maybe? Not a good mother? Is she abusive? I'm not trying to stand up for her, but I'm just trying to understand why there is a sudden interest in taking custody of the child. If she is a good parent to the child but is going through a difficult time at the moment with coming to the end of a relationship, that isn't really an immediate cause for trying to take custody, I think. Knowing me, I've probably overlooked an explanation above somewhere...if I have and the woman is NOT a good parent, I would be 100% supportive of my DH going for custody of the child...but remember that we can't always go by the ex-boyfriend's thoughts right away. I mean, they DO have a dog in the fight and will usually only tell one side of the story. Perhaps a welfare check to her Dad's house is in order?
    ...See More

Would you make a big deal out of this? Kitchen remodel...

Q

Comments (9)
    I am not sure how much you should pay for vs. the KD. We talked for such a long time with our kitchen guy, changed styles, colors, nice to haves etc quite a few times. He kept notes as did I. When the final quote came in, some of the "nice to haves" weren't listed. He didn't forget them, we just never made them a "must have" and he was keeping our budget in mind. So when we asked for a new quote with those things and it sent the cost over our previously agreed upon budget, it was then our decision to keep them in. We told him originally that budget was our #1 consideration, so he did what we told him. We also got a quote from another designer who put every bell and whistle in without asking what we wanted and it came in at twice our budget and she didn't think twice about presenting it to us that way! Each designer has their way. I don't think yours intentionally misrepresented the order. You even said those things were "mentioned" in the past, but I think it was up to you to make sure you got what you wanted. I would bet that peg drawer would have been the same cost he is quoting you now if you had gotten it in your original order. The color is a whole different story. Where did he get the color from that you got? I don't understand that one and it seems he should correct that for you.
    ...See More

How do you make decisions?

Q

Comments (18)
    Oh my gosh...I'm not alone is my insanity? Misery loves company guys, and I really love your words of wisdom, commiseration, and understanding. I have been looking at Houzz obsessively and I do have some ideas of what I want. I have a color scheme....I think, I change my mind from really dark cabinets to white cabinets pretty frequently. Dark will win because that is what my husband wants and I can't make up my mind anyway (I should pose that as a compromise..."well, dear, we can get the dark cabinets that you want as long as I can get the ceiling high cabinets that I want"), the small layout changes that we are making we agree on (yeah!), the color of the walls we already love (painted earlier this year), the floors we aren't going to change, built in appliances aren't in the budget so we will do a freestanding range and fridge. So, honestly, all we have to do is pick cabinets and a countertop (which we also agreed on), easy peasy, right? We have some CAD plans and I do like the way that they look (meaning I like the way that the custom ones look for double the cost). I had a talk with my husband and I think that he is coming around. These will likely be the only cabinets that we will ever put into this house, so when you are looking at such a huge investment, is the price of skimping to worth it? I told him your wise words about regrets, plus we can keep our 20 year old white refrigerator with the broken ice maker for a bit if we need to. I keep calling the backsplash and pendant lights over the island phase 2. I had n't considered doing an inexpensive counter and adding it later if I need to. We have two separate cabinet makers coming tomorrow, so you have given me some good ideas of questions to ask. I'll get there. I think part of the problem is that my husband isn't a researcher, he is willing to make these decisions all willy nilly. So pretty much all he knows is the $$$ amount and if he likes the person he talked to. He also thinks that if we need to we can project manage these things even though we each have very busy full time jobs and aren't available to be here during the day while the work is being done. Me, I would rather pay a little extra so I don't have to be the one to oversee things. Plus I told him that if we did that ourselves then we would end up divorced and then we would just have to sell the house. Anyway, I am going to pore over more of GW and houzz. I think I know what my decisions are regarding the cabinets, but I did just want a little bit of reassurance so I sure do appreciate it. When I get "final" plans, I will post them because you guys sure do have some great ideas.
    ...See More
  • utopiankitchens
    16 years ago

Hi-

Ditto on all the the above, plus one more idea: A skylight.
    Maybe more natural light will give you more of the change you are looking for.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I have not read all of the posts but gather the most everyone agrees not to paint those cabinets!! I agree. Your cabinets are way too pretty!!

I do have a thought....If you painted out your trim white to match your entry...what about adding bead board painted white? You could then paint your island white with glaze and add bead board around the perimeter. Kinda glam country with your chandelier and glass knobs. You would not have to remove wallpaper and bead board panels are not that expensive.

Move on to another project and then when you are truly ready for the kitchen remodel you have not spent alot of$$ It would be alot brighter and would seem to fit your house.

Let us know...
    Smiles:)

Could anyone photoshop beadboard with her cabinets? I think it would be kinda cool.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonbyherwits
    Thanks for your suggestions.. I never thought of keeping the trim and door the same color of the walls I was thinking off white (?) I guess doing it all the same color will keep your eye flowing ? Yes.. that microwave has to go..it shouldnÂt be there at all..we need to buy a professional grade range hood. When we moved in, the previous owner had all white, It looked ridiculous in here with the cherry and granite being so dark. , Last year, we bought the refrigerator, dish washer and a wolf stove..we spent a lot of money on the three.. We knew we needed a hood, but we had to wait ..once the microwave comes down, we need to tile, then the hood will be installedÂ.they are expensive.. a 30 inch was 1600.00 and up! Over the past year, we dumped a lot of money in here.. we needed to take a breather now itÂs time to continue.

One question I still have I am tired of brushed nickel hardware. I love the oil rubbed bronze and copper , but that will be way to dark on these cabinets.. Do you have any idea what other type of hardware finish goes with dark cabinets??

Before I forget to mention this.. one reason it took me so long to paint the walls and molding (as I really wanted to do this long ago) the kitchen goes into the breakfast room, which the wall paper and molding are in there as well.. a long with a sliding door.. so I was thinking.. geez.. what a can of worms! Here it is Ree

utopiankitchens
    Good idea, but.. canÂt do a skylight as we have a second floor above the kitchen Ree

johnatemp
    I like your ideas, thank you! The only thing is, we just did our down stairs bath room and installed the bead board in there..the bath is right off our breakfast room which is another one of my problems..one room leads to the other..take a peek..what do you think?
    Thanks so much! Ree
    {{!gwi}}

• littledog
    16 years ago

What about adding one of those angled skylight tube things to bring more light into the kitchen?

• lnmca
    16 years ago

Call me crazy but what about brass? Not a shiny brand new brass, but an aged brass:
    www.topknobsusa.com has a catalog full of knobs. If you leaf through and find the britannia collection, they have several available in "german Bronze" which is actually more of an aged brass, IMO.

-or- you could go to Van Dykes Restorers and search antique brass knobs.

I know, people hate brass now, but truth be told, after all this ORB, I can see brass coming back!

Hudson Valley lighting has some gorgeous classic bright light fixtures that have the aged brass finish as well.
    Just a suggestion from a non-decorator person!

• loribee
    16 years ago

Happy about your cabinet decision...they really are lovely!
    Your breakfast room is darling, too. Shouldn't take you long to remove the wallpaper there as it's only half way up.
    Here's hoping the P O primed first and the wallpaper just slides right off! :)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Look here, you'll see the twisted knobs. The model homes I've gone to have been using those. Trying to think of what color the cherry cabinets had... Some were using the button ones, while others used the longer ones.

Do you have any new homes going up that you can walk to get ideas?

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I agree with lnmca... brass does look beautiful with cherry cabinets and green counters. Very classy and traditional. Much better, I think, than any kind of silver colored hardware.

• summiebee
    16 years ago

Heavens no! I'd get some of the iron knobs and pulls and paint the room. The cabinets are lovely as is!

• DYH
    16 years ago

This was our kitchen in our previous house so you can see what was done by a professional interior designer. The only thing that I changed was using a hood of my own design (made by my cabinet maker) and an island of my own design, but in her color choice. The hardware is a dark ORB.

Not a color scheme that I recommend is suitable for you, this is just an example of how a pro blended the dark colors (craftsman-inspired house). It was a dark kitchen, but it didn't bother us.

{{!gwi}}

Our current house is only 2 years old, but I'm getting ready to tweak the kitchen by repainting the walls white. (I'm that renegade sage cabinet, black island person). My problem here is that we used so many colors and textures, that I need to "erase" the window and doors by having them blend to the same color. This will keep the eyes from bouncing up and down over the walls. I hope! LOL

Take your time! I've currently changed my mind about 100 times over a simple thing like a window treatment. :-)

Cameron

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cameron
    what a beautiful house.. your (previous) kitchen is gorgeous... I would of never thought to put all those colors together, but it really is beautiful. The light tile breaks it up too... I love ORB faucets and hardware...I guess it kind of blends into the wood..?? Can you actually see it? I'll tell you, after studying Suttons kitchen, I haven't stopped drooling , that is so much more my taste, not that I have that grandeur , but the general colors and design hits me in the soft spot. (smile)

I am going to start with wall paper removal. Hopefully it will come off easy. I need to go through color charts to see not only what color blends with the kitchen, but the other areas of the house so it has a nice color flow to it. When it comes to paint, it takes me forever, or I am painting one room five timesÂ.

Unfortunately , my husband is not into painting.. I have done every room and a few times over already.. so this will be a huge job and a slow moving one at that. I am so tempted to start nowÂbut with all the holidayÂs approaching itÂs not going to be easy. I am constantly on the run especially as we approach Christmas (my kids still wait for ÂsantaÂ) so thatÂs a task in itÂs self.. lol I am just thinking everything out right now, but this will be my next project for sure. .I am so ready!

I also want to thank all of you for helpingÂmeans a lot!
    Ree

• cind11
    16 years ago

I vote for ORB cabinet knobs. I had shiny brass and the knobs stuck out like sore thumbs. I replaced them with ORB and they blend in on my cherry cabinets much better. I don't think they will make your kitchen any darker. I look forward to seeing the changes in your kitchen. It looks like it will be wonderful!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I agree with brass on this furniture. The glass lessens it and so will the ORB. I think antique brass would look great on it and you can find great pulls and handles at Van Dyke. That's a great company. I don't think ORB or glass is elegant enough for cherry, JMHO. No need to throw rotten cabbage.

• DYH
    16 years ago

When I was a computer programmer, I had a rule about "change only one thing at a time" to see the results before changing another variable. I think it applies to decorating. Take your time.

After you do you paint, then look at cabinet hardware.

I'm hiring out our kitchen paint job. We had used Certa-Pro (a franchise) when DH sold his home and they did a great job. This one is owned by a different fellow, but he's so professional, no money up front, 100% guarantee, 100% home will be "perfect" when they leave. He's coming the Monday of Thanksgiving week! He had a great portfolio and I even recognized several of the houses. Lots of recommendations, too. See if there's one in your area -- they are insured better than any other painters.

Be sure to keep us posted on your results.

Cameron

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm.. never heard of them around here.. my mom actually has an excellent painter...I think I can do a great job as I am a 'pro painter' at this point.. lol but I can't reach behind the upper cabinets at all.. too high, so that will be a huge problem.. so maybe I will treat my self this time around and have it professionally done :)

I put the glass knobs on so they wouldnÂt Âstick out I bought them in restoration hardware and they come apart all the time.. This time around I will try antiqued brass and ORB and see which looks best
    (no rotten cabbage Patricia.. lol) what do I do if the holes do not match up? I went through this with the pulls and had a very hard time????
    Ree

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

I agree totally with removing the wallpaper and painting the trim and changing the light or hardware, but those cabinets are very beautiful, that gorgeous wood deserves to be seen.

• User
    16 years ago

Haven't had an opportunity to read all the replies, but agree with everyone who is saying not to paint your cabinets....and I happen to love painted cabinets. Yours are beautiful, though, and I would do some of the things suggested above before altering the finish.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Order a Van Dyke catalog. they have different size bores for several, (many, many) handles and pulls. They have such a great selection of everything. It makes me want to do a lot of houses al in one day. :) I wonder if you could put bail pulls on your drawers. I love them, like on good furniture. Maybe use the antique brass knobbies on the doors and the bail pulls on the drawers.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

amck
    Thanks! Going to give it my best shot! Ree

Patricia
    I do have Van Dyke catalog..have to go pull it out..
    I bought bin pulls..is that what you mean? but the holes didn't match... I got them when I first did the glass...thought the combo would look good... I am really sick of nickel, going to try a warmer toned knob...still trying to figure out what color to paint..it leads into the breakfast room, which is open to the family room...right now the two rooms are putnam ivory, I am actually thinking pulling it in here, but it may be too much of it and then what do I do with the wall paper under the chair rail in BR...maybe a nice dark brown? off white molding...then I have to also paint the sliding french door... I am in for it! Ree
    ps..did you find any dining room chairs you like?

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I love the dining chairs that tryin2grow found. I have decided I want that style and will go to nearby clothbarn tomorrow and look for fabric to see if I can get them upholstered by a manufacturer if I cannot find that fabric or near it on any commercial chairs.

Leahcate suggested putting covers over the back but I have tried that with the windsor chairs and it looks like a toaster cover and the cushions will not stay in the seats because they are still have so much of their smooth finish on them and slide right out. I tried tying them but that gave them a cottage look that I did not like. Geez, I have spent a fortune trying to make lemons into lemonade.

Do you have one middle hole for your pulls? If so, the bail pulls (not bin pulls) will cover the hole and you will need to make one on either side. Think great piece of 18th century furniture with the pulls that open the drawers. That is what I am thinking about for your furniture. Just like nice dresser drawers had in the 18th, 19th and even early into the 20th century.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I'm glad you decided not to paint, reeree! Cherry is probably the ONLY wood I would never sugggest painting, but IMO, Oak is dated, as are some other woods, or maybe it's just the stain color.

You could paint the INSIDE of the glass cabs as it would give them more umphhh, or use a simple wallpaper such as a stripe.

For cabinet handles/pulls, copper or the oiled bronze would be gorgeous with your cabs!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Reeree, if you have the current catalog go to page 198 and look at item H. It can be purchased in pewter, bronze or hand rubbed brass. Then turn to page 200 and look at items A and F. Don't go with the trend of "bin" pulls and what's hot now. Go with a timeless look of hand rubbed brass pulls as would have been seen in handmade furniture. Pewter would even be pretty but I think ORB is a flash in the pan. Now, don't get me wrong, I have it, but not on my good cherry furniture. You want something like the queen would have and she would not have that look; she would want something shiny that looked like it took years to rub into the look she likes.

• demeron
    16 years ago

I just want to recommend homedaisy.blogspot.com if nobody else has. This is a great cottage-home dec blog. She painted her nearly new, solid cherry cabinets and is very happy with the result.

http://homedaisy.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_archive.html

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Reeree, drawer pulls come in different sizes. The easiest way to determine your pull size is to remove one drawer pull, then measure from the CENTER of one hole to the center of the other hole. Typical standard sizes are 3", 4", 5", etc. Yours look to be 4". That way when you go shopping you know the exact size you need and won't have to worry about the holes lining up. If you find some you really like in a different size, check with the manufacturer. Many are available in different sizes.

Hope that helps!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Reeree, go to pp 224-226. Look at all the pretty drawer pulls you could have on those gorgeous cabinets, making them look like elegant furnishings for a LR or BR.

• bellaflora
    16 years ago

Didn't read all the previous posts but even though I am a big fan of painted cabinet, I would personally fly over there and murder you if you paint them. hehehe..;-)

Seriously, are you nuts? Those cabinets are TDF!!! new wall colorin soft color will give it the oomph you need.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patricia
    Yes!! I love those chairs my self, seems to be a great fit..the fabric is beautiful! Do you know what site she found the chairs? Maybe you can order the fabric from them.. or buy the chairs with the fabric? I hope you get them. .love the look.. very elegant!

Ok.. I want to pull my hair out, canÂt find my Van Dyke catalog! I have spent the past hour searching for itÂI just looked through it not too long agoÂit must be in that safe spot that I canÂt even find! PatriciaÂyou have been a great help, I do appreciate it.. You always make me laugh (Thanks!!) I happen to love the Bail pullsÂI did not know thatÂs what they were calledÂso you think rubbed brass? I went on their web site.. there are a few very pretty ones that I can definitely see on these cabinetsÂgeez, what a huge difference that will makeÂthey are actually on that gorgeous painted kitchen bestyears showed us looks magnificent! I re-ordered the catalog.. I canÂt tell which ones you are guiding me to on the webÂ
    I am very excited now (smile) Ree

patty_cakes
    Awh.. thanks so much! I actually love the idea of painting / wall paper the inside of the glass cabinets.. I think I am putting glass doors on the cabinets on either side of the window. .a pretty back drop will look really pretty! And then do it on the glass cabinets I have now ..Thanks soooo much for for the great idea!!! Ree

demeron
    Thanks for posting the linkÂI have to take a peek, will be interesting to see... Ree

sippimom
    Thanks for letting me know how to measure. .I should have known that. .I have my dumb bunny ears on
    I love the Bail pullsÂthat is so perfectÂI will have to see what size they come in ..thanks so much!! Ree

bellaflora
    lol!! Your hystericalÂI had a good laugh when I read your post.. Thanks so much.. everyone here is incredibly helpful and gave me great ideas to lighten up this space I was totally hating this kitchen forever I do not really like how it is laid out.. who ever designed it, did a terrible job..I canÂt change that right now.. but what I can do will definitely give me that huge lift I neededÂthanks to all of you!!! CanÂt wait to get started!!!! Ree

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

patricia
    is this one that you saw?

Here is a link that might be useful: bail pull

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I was totally hating this kitchen forever I do not really like how it is laid out.. who ever designed it, did a terrible job..

I've been looking for another house since February. I can't tell you how many houses got taken off of my list because of kitchens & baths. With HGTV telling sellers that kitchens & baths sell, everyone & their brother have redone their's. Of course they put things in bad places. One kitchen, shucks, must have been less then a 20x20. The layout was so bad with an island in the middle. I could not see myself cooking in that kitchen and swear that someone that doesn't cook designed it. Shame too because they used nice cabinets.

I wish people would just leave the cabinets they had, adjusted the price and let the new owner redo it. We ended up buying new because of so many botch jobs.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All of you gave me such great ideas...(a great big thanks) we are taking the wall paper down this week....(yikes!) I looked at so many paint colors, I am dizzy. What I am now thinking for wall color is putnam ivory. It is what the kitchen and family room is painted. this kitchen goes right into those two rooms, so I am thinking it maybe best to keep the flow going..or am I totally boring? My other problem is, there is wall paper same as kitchen under chair rail in breakfast room..I need to think of what color to paint below that as the putnam is above the chair rail (the picture is posted) I am doing the molding, chair rails, door in kitchen in a soft white, off white. These are the bail pulls I found and I like them, don't know if they are too heavy, and should stick to the thinner on. The small one I am thinking for the glass cabinets..but still need to find a match for the rest of the pulls...
    I am all ears (smile)
    thanks!!!! Ree

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

I like the wallpaper in the breakfast room under the chair molding. Dpes anyone else?

I suggest you remove the kitchen wallpaper and paint and then decide what to do about the wallpaper in the breakfast room. You might decide to leave it. If you remove it, painting the lower wall a medium brown or a warm green would look good.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Hi Ree;

I am v. late to this thread but I did want to write nonetheless. I'm one who painted (myself) the cabinets in our previous kitchen and I never, ever regretted it. (okay, so we only lived there five years but during that time I was forever grateful for my painted cabs!)

I love the ideas everyone has offered, and I think that because your cabinets are of a superlative quality baby steps are a terrific idea: first removing wallpaper, painting (inc. trim), changing sink / micro, maybe countertop and adding backsplash. (Like someone else above, was it mclarke?, I love wood floors in a kitchen: so much kinder to the lower back and anything which drops ... as often happens 'round here -- oops)

Live with your "refreshed" kitchen a while and see how you feel. (I actually love your chandelier and the personality it gives your kitchen.) In time you may feel it's bright enough or you may not. At that time you'll know whether to have them painted. And, if you do decide to have painted cabinets I'd like to strongly urge you to have them painted by a cabinet refinisher. I think I read in a different post that you have children. ??? Well, even if you don't have littles painted cabinets take a beating and in my experience, at least (and this was before we even had kiddos), chipping happens. By having a refinisher you'll get a more durable finish. (I'm not knocking your painting skills, because it'll have nothing to do with you but rather the paint.)

Non sequitur, but I saw pictures of your house and it is lovely! I am crazy for your stair hall, so crazy in fact I showed my husband and he said "well, that's certainly our ideal." I know! The woodwork is beautiful and it's painted -- something to think about when it comes to painting the trim in your kitchen and if you do ever decide to paint your cabinets.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more pictures and following your kitchen progress!

Enjoy -- you have a beautiful space with which to work and many creative, inspiring friends here online.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rmkitchen
    Thank you so much for writing and your kind words! Baby steps it is! (smile) I will see how it transforms, and take it from there.everyone on here has given me great ideas..what a nice bunch of women..they helped me more than they know. It is really appreciated! The stairway is original 1887. It was very dark wood, very Victorian looking and I would of left it, but the wood had many dings, scratches along with the previous owners daughters name carved in it , and in a few places no less I was nervous to paint it, and one day I took the plunge.. I first wood filled all of the above, did an oil primer and paint..I actually like it so much better now.

The kitchen was always in the plan, we did so much work in this house , it was put on the back burner.. we bought the appliances last year and yes..we need a professional exhaust hoodÂ

I am starting the paper removal hopefully by the weekend. I am excited it will finally be gone as this too has been on the "to do" list for a long timeÂItÂs just a huge job and not looking forward to the work.. but it will be my first baby step towards improvementÂ.here I go!
    Thanks again
    Ree

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Your cabinets are so pretty. I love those bail pulls. Don't they look so elegant! I am sure whatever color you choose, it will be lovely.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patricia
    Thank you once again. I am waiting for the catalog, I would like to look through it before I order anything. Was this one of the bail pulls you saw? I want to see the pages you recommended. How are you doing? feeling a little better? (hope so) keep me posted if you get that beautiful fabric..love it!! Ree

• teacats
    16 years ago

Sorry to be so late to this post!

Yes -- once again -- I'm simply the chorus girl -- and I echo Les' excellent suggestion to simply remove the wallpaper AND paint out the trim and doors (which are not the same wood anyway) to a soft cream. Then choose a soft neutral or color .... and beadboard below the chair rail in the breakfast area would look amazing!

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

teacats
    Thanks!! I am removing wall paper as we speak.. (smile)
    I have bead board in the bathroom which is right off breakfast room..so I don't know if that will look good exactly the same..?? I am leaving that room for last..the way it is going right now..I will be removing this paper for weeks! ugh! Ree

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Maybe your catalog will get there to give you a rest and you can stop and look at it and take a break. You are an awesome person to tackle so much but it sure has paid off in big dividends.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Well done! Removing the wallpaper will make a HUGE difference to the room!

Yes -- I think beadboard painted in the same neutral color as the walls with fresh cream trim all around would look wonderful. You could add some bright colors with artworks .....

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All of you inspired me deeply... What the heck did you guys get me into?? LOL!!!! (only kidding) I have been removing paper all day..it is taking a l-o-n-g time..I will take a picture either later or tomorrow.. I am really liking it! Funny thing is, it's painted a light creamy yellow under the paper..talk about instant gratification!
    It needs to be painted of course, but this gave me an idea on how it would look with a light toned paint.

Patricia..you are always so sweet..I am glad we are cyber friends! Ree

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

I'm late on this too Ree, but just wanted to say that I wouldn't paint those gorgeous cab's either. I'm glad you're starting with the wallpaper. I think a nice cheery color would go a long way towards brightening your kitchen. Can't wait to see your photos. :o)

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi totallyblessed!
    Thanks so much! I am not painting them...yet..only kidding!
    How is your bath room coming a long? Did they start the tile? If so...are you loving it?? It is going to be just gorgeous! Don't forget to post pictures... waiting to see!!
    Ree

• southernheart
    16 years ago

reeree, (I love your name...my aunt is "reeree" :) I would keep that granite...I think that it's pretty, and would be enhanced by a wall color that coordinates with it. I also vote for keeping the chandy, at least for now.

Good luck with your changes! I hope that you will find yourself satisfied and happy with your kitchen.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

southernheart
    that is so funny..thats how I became "reeree" my nieces and nephews called me that when they were little ..too funny there are two of us..(smile)

I removed wall paper today..took forever..slowly but surely ..looks better already..I will post a picture tomorrow.. I am keeping my chandy..I installed it and spent a pretty penny on it...maybe I'll do new shades..the granite..?? I probably will change it, not before Christmas..Santa is coming!! lol
    Thanks so much!
    reeree

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Hi Ree~

Nope, no installation yet on our tile. :o( The finishers are about done on the 1st floor, so I believe the tile crew will begin tile next week. I'll let you know as soon as it's done. Thanks. :o)

• User
    16 years ago

Oh Praise the Lord you are NOT painting those gorgeous custom cabinets. I thought you'd completely lost it Ree. I really did. It's not that I don't understand having a dark kitchen. I too have dark stained maple cabs. Our kitchen is in the middle of our home so no direct sunlight at all. There is light that comes in from the ajoining sunroom through five windows. The kitchen walls our a deep blue too. I have a very white ceiling with plenty of lighting and added a collection of milk glass on top of my cabs to give it a lighter feel. I still love it.
    I'm sure once you make the changes you'll find you love yours too.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

My other problem is, there is wall paper same as kitchen under chair rail in breakfast room..I need to think of what color to paint below that as the putnam is above the chair rail (the picture is posted) I am doing the molding, chair rails, door in kitchen in a soft white, off white.

Maybe I'm weird or something... I would start with paint, go two tone by the BR. I wouldn't paint any wood until I lived with the wall color. I'm also chicken painting that door. It's beautiful.

If you do paint the moldings / door, just be sure to prep right. Nothing worst then paint not sticking..

These are the bail pulls I found and I like them, don't know if they are too heavy, and should stick to the thinner on. The small one I am thinking for the glass cabinets..but still need to find a match for the rest of the pulls...

I like all of them!

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

justgotabme
    didn't completely lose it "yet". .LOL!! Every one was right...so I am taking steps to brighten it up. Started removing wall paper yesterday, have much more to go. Looks so much better already.. hubby and kids love it! I will take pictures of my 'masterpiece' a little later ( I borrowed my neighbors camera, lost mine) I will post some in a bitÂ. I was looking at the "what color is your kitchen thread) and hoyamomÂs kitchen is dark cabinets with a mustard paint and I love itÂI think that is what I will do in here (with off white) trim.. (wish me luck.. lol)
    Thanks!Â. Ree

roselvr
    Thanks again for writing, I appreciate your ideas and help! I am leaving the BR alone for now.. just one room at a time. We are changing the trim. .doing a wider crown and changing the trim around the door ways I hate to tell youÂ(donÂt kill me) but I am going to paint it all in an off white. ItÂs a task, and I have painted plenty of molding in my dayÂbut we were never happy with what is thereÂthe previous owner actually used the same chair rail as in the breakfast room for crown molding in the kitchen.. we always planned on changing it. now that I started thisÂ. ItÂs the time.
    Thanks for taking your time in helping me, I do appreciate it very much! IÂll keep you posted!
    Ree