SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Would you make a big deal out of this? Kitchen remodel...

Christy Bell
13 years ago

This is our first renovation and we've been doing our kitchen. The contractor has been great. The only one I'm having trouble with is the kitchen designer. Here's the story...

Good exchange in the beginning of the project.

After first payment was made we felt the designer kindof dropped off - wasn't prompt in returning emails or calls, etc. Felt like I had to chase him down at times.

We did make some final adjustments to the design once the kitchen design was submitted - but he told us we could do this and it wouldn't be a problem.

Cabinets arrived. Desk system was wrong color (a more yellow white than what was ordered). In looking back at the paperwork he had written down the color that was delivered, even though we discussed a different color (my mistake in not looking this over more closely). Wants additional $1,000 to fix it. Decided I would live with the color. Also, we had a cherry wood top put on that I thought was going to be a solid piece of wood with a laquer finish - but it was a piece of cherry veneer plywood with hardwood edges. A $400 piece of plywood.

Contractor was missing some parts (hardware order was short and crown molding was too).

Granite installers came and did a template of island and didn't get the 12" overhang (not on the drawing provided by designer) so needing to recut. We aren't being charged for that.

Oven installers came and had to alter existing base cabinet to fit oven (they were upset as the designer told them they wouldn't need to do that) The designer ordered the oven for us so should have the dimensions.

Finally, the base drawer that I was going to put my plates and bowls in doesn't have the pegboard with posts in the bottom of it. We did discuss this in the beginning - I was very clear what I wanted, and it was not there. There wasn't anything in the order about it, but I assumed it was included in the base cabinet price. Now he wants another $460 for it - no way.

I'm so disappointed in this. The final product (color/desk top and organizer) are some of the things I was most looking forward to.

Would you make a big deal out of these things? I know things happen in reno's, but these seem big to me. I've learned a lot about paying attention to details.

Comments (9)