SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

How do you make decisions?

kellienoelle
12 years ago

Wow, this kitchen remodeling sure is fun right? I think I am decisive, I think I'm not wishy washy, I think I am reasonable. I think I may be wrong about all of those things. Apparently, I just like everything and anything and can see the good and bad in EVERY OPTION. So, first decision is cabinets. Now I am not to the part yet where I have to make a final choice on stains, on crown molding, on whether to put end pieces on (my head will probably explode at that point). I am just trying to decide on who I want to get them from and what type. Do I pay the extra and forgo some of the extras to do custom cabinetry and have it be exactly as I want it? Do I stick with a standard "box" and have to make some pretty big sacrifices on what I wanted to save money.

To be more specific. I got a quote from Merrilat for their slightly upgraded middle range line of cabinets. I like them, they seem to be OK quality, made of maple with some color options that I like. Problem is, if there is one thing that I thought that I wanted in my kitchen it was cabinets extending to the ceiling. They are 9 foot ceilings, so apparently that means stacked cabinets, which is fine. Merrilat cannot configure this with the options available in that line. The cabinet guy is going to price out the top of the line range so I can get the stacked cabinets, but says it will easily be 25-30% more. This is also through a friend of my brother is law, and wouldn't include the cost of installation, so we would have to manage that all on our own. Pluses are cost, warranty, and a company that has been in business for many years so I am assuming has pretty good QC so hopefully you know what you are going to get. I also got a quote from a custom guy to have the stacked cabinets that I wanted so desperately. No really fancy bells and whistles, made of birch, I can stain or finish however I want, configure however I want. Cost is easily twice as much, but includes installation. We are also getting a bid from a GC to include the complete work with "his people" including another custom cabinetry guy, and I have a friend whose husband is a GC who offered to do the same, but not until march when his schedule frees up (meaning probably June in the construction world).

How do you compare and decide, it seems like choosing between apple pie and chocolate cake. Also complicating matters is my husband doesn't understand my obsession with having the cabinets to the ceiling. He says it is a waste of money since we are essentially only doing it for aesthetics. I am a form over function girl usually, and he is kind of right, we sure as he** don't really need the extra storage. But that is just what I want. I know I will love what I do even if I don't get this option, but deep down I'll be disappointed and wonder how much better it would have looked with stacked cabinets. He's easy going, and I will be able to talk him into it, but deep down, I do know that he is right and we are supposed to be making these big financial decisions together (we saved and are paying outright so it isn't like we have the option of just getting a bigger loan). For the record, he also likes chocolate cake while I like apple pie.

So, long story short, how did you guys make these big decisions? Did you spreadsheet the pros and cons? Did you have one person making the primary decisions or did you have arm wrestling matches to see whose choice holds up? Are there any "magic questions" to ask so you know that you are getting the best deal for the right product? In an earlier thread, I jokingly asked if there was a step by step guide to this. Seriously, is there a step by step guide to this? And if you have some free time, help me justify this cabinet to the ceiling thing.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer