SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clearwatergirl

Need some SERIOUS dining room help guys.

clearwatergirl
16 years ago

You guys gave me some great suggestions as to how to decorate around my new sectional last month. Now I need help as to how to decorate my small dining area next to the living area. I hope you'll be able to visualize what I'm asking/needing.

First, forgive the quality of some of these pics. Some I took with the camera on my cell phone so they aren't the clearest. I just got the ottoman today that goes with the sectional and those new pics are kind of blurry. I'm going with the warm colors of green, orange, gold,etc. The 3 drawer hand painted cabinet that you see will be going on the wall across from the sectional and will be my new tv stand. The colors in it match the pics above the sofa and colors in my throws and pillows. So try to picture the tv on that.

Now, the hard part. I have a dark brown dining table and just put a sisel/sisal rug underneath it that has a dark brown leather trim around it. The design coordinator at the furniture store told me since the table is dark and is on light floor that this would help break it up. Still trying to decide if I like it or not. So........I'm at a total loss as to what to put on these two dining room walls that will bring together a complete and complimentary look with the living area. I've thought about wrought iron wall pieces, pictures, plaques. Nothing seems to fit and I'm not good at this. Any suggestions?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (39)

• teacats
    16 years ago

First -- is there enough room to add a console table or buffet along the back wall? OR along the side wall to work with electrical outlet (which means you could add a lamp to the console table)

Next -- I do like the sisal rug because it grounds and centers the eating area. The viewer's eye is literally drawn to the set. Perhaps add some cushions in the same colors as the ones on the sofa?

I'd love to see some artworks (maybe a set of four matching works OR one large one) with the same kinds of colors as the pretty ones in the living room. Perhaps hung in a grid pattern over the console table OR around a buffet?

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I think I could pull the table forward a bit and put some type of buffet or table along the back wall. I was thinking about something in the corner but maybe along the back wall would be good. I think if I put it on the left wall, The table would almost be in the kitchen area. LOL So back wall or corner would be good. I will look into that. Great suggestion.

I've also thought I would put some cushions in the chairs but thought I might wait until I figured out what would go on the walls and match the cushions that way. The autumn colors are so pretty right now in the stores.

Thank you so much for your ideas. I was thinking a plant or something in the corner but like your idea of a table of some kind more.

• Related Discussions

in need of some serious help selecting a floor stain

Q

Comments (2)
    Bottom square, lower right hand corner. The darker you go with flooring, the more the odd bit of fuzz & dog hair, etc. shows. And gapping will show the unstained tongue of the flooring as well as any scratches into the wood. Go too dark & you loose the character & beauty of the wood. Might as well paint it brown, IMO.
    ...See More

This great room/dining room needs some spice! Please help!

Q

Comments (31)
    Here are some pics from Houzz that might give you some ideas. I love the blinds in the first on that hide the upper windows, but it's a pretty contemporary look. The interest on the ceiling along with the chandelier brings it down a bit. [contemporary living room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by new york interior designer David Landy ASID CID NY State This has a strong horizontal element with lighting that breaks up the height: [traditional living room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by dc metro general contractor Moss Building and Design [ the last two use lots of wood/built-ins to add heft and interest [(https://www.houzz.com/photos/st-clements-great-room-traditional-family-room-toronto-phvw-vp~81556) [traditional family room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by toronto design-build Schnarr Craftsmen Inc [traditional family room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by atlanta interior designer Mary Trantow
    ...See More

Help, I need some serious advice about my 11 year old SD

Q

Comments (5)
    Well slept on the couch last night ( what a joy) after yet another arguement about S.D. with my wife. This last week has been filled with the same crap different day. So heres the scenerio. My wife and I work differing shifts most of the time, so I end up spending most of the time with my S.d. After school and evenings, my wife works mainly 4 - midnight shifts. Last week was more of just the same, my s.d talking to me anyway she feels like it ( totally no respect ) and a week of mainly all out battles between us. Yesterday, i argued with her for 4 hours trying to get her to clean her room, when i can't see the floor and there are dirty dishes in there, its time for her to clean it, finally i just gave up told her to do whatever she wants, live like a pig, i'm beyond caring, and i stopped talking to her for the day. Now over the week she had lost her computer time, phone time and tv time for lying to us about her school homework ( telling us it was all done, after parent teacher confrence we found out she had not been doing any of it ) she ended up grounded. Anyways, wife comes home, s.d comes out of room, talking as sweet as ever, Oh hi daddy blah blah blah, i just said uh huh. after an hour, i went in the computer room, there my wife on her computer and my s.d on my computer. I said um excuse me your not allowed on the computer and after a day like we had, dont' expect to be on there for a long time. Well that was a mistake, wife turns around says she's doing her homework, and I just laughed, shook my head and walked out. next thing i know my wife is yelling at me cause i'm not allowing s.d. to do her homework, and i told her what kind of day we had and it didn't matter. I told her once again that she has NO idea wht i put up with on a daily basis, my son 16 years old pipes up, ummm ( wifes name ) she talks to dad with totally no respect when your not here, wife tells son to shut up that he treats s.d with no respect either, to which i replied, well when she learns to talk to people with respect, maybe she'd get some back. Suddenly wife yells she has had enough and her and the s.d are leaving ( moving out ) So i decided to sleep on the couch. So now what??? Been thinking about it most of the night, personally i think it might be a relief to all concerend it it happened. Much as I love my wife, and I know she loves me, we can't continue like this. I know i will never accept anyone talking to me like my s.d does, and if my son was talking to my wife that way, well lets just say son would be very bored for the next two months. My wife says, well your the adult, my s.d says you can't do anything to me cause mom will just move out. HELPPPPPPPPPPPP. I'm so tired of being stressed, i think everyone is, is there any solutuiont o this, or am I just wasting my time in something that is never going to change.
    ...See More

Need some SERIOUS help with my exterior... disaster.

Q

Comments (56)
    Like the idea of some third party coming over and pointing out some deficiencies and then just "ask what s/he meant by that" and that s/he was fairly adamant that these subs were not doing your build justice. By focusing on the subs, you can give MIL an out. How active is she at the site? Is it possible that she's simply not seen this? or is this a new crew from her usual folks, etc? Is your bank giving you draws? is their inspector someone that you can work with? or your banker? I have a good relationship with the inspector that is working for my bank. If he holds up a draw because the work isn't done (or is done VERY WRONG) things will get real and you'll HAVE TO address them - or else no one gets any money. That might be the most direct way. You have to address these - if you don't - even for the sake of "family peace" - it will rot your relationship like the water intrusion will rot your house.
    ...See More
  • les917
    16 years ago

Things are looking very nice! I like the cabinet for your tv. Your choice of pillows and throws is wonderful and makes the sectional feel very cozy.

One thing you might consider. If you look at the two paintings over the sectional, you will see some spots of blue in there. I would try to find at least one pillow with that blue to add to the mix on the sectional, and perhaps a blue vase or decorative bowl to add to the dining room area. It will draw the eye into the paintings.

What are you doing for lamps?

As for the DR, is there a reason you couldn't turn the table the other way, so that it would run long way parallel to the left wall? That would seem to make more sense in the space, and would give you plenty of room for a small console table or narrow sideboard cabinet on that left wall opposite the kitchen.

I like the sisal rug. Would look for cushions with the green of the sectional, and perhaps a dark brown and cream. Then the additional colors can change by adding things on the tabletop, the sideboard, and through the art you bring in. In fact, you might look for some art for the wall over the sideboard that has some of the blue in it from the LR area. I would think about a grouping of framed mirrors or a cool wall candlescape for the back wall.

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know, I never noticed the blue in the pictures. Not sure I'm brave enough to add any blue but just might try that. Lamps? Good question. I'd like to have one in the living room area but just not sure where to stick one as I don't have any tables and am using the ottoman as a coffee table basically. I've bought a breakfast tray to put on top of the ottoman but that's not enough I don't think. Would like something more to put drinks on.

I have a pic here of the dining room table vertical like you are suggesting instead of horizontal. Ignore the pics behind it. This is a pic I took before taking down the old pics. Do you think the table looks better vertical? Also, a pic of a yellow pillow on the sectional. Might be too bright though. The striped pillows on the couch are that yellow/gold on the reverse side so they can be used both ways.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mclarke
    16 years ago

This is looking GOOOOOD!!!!

I love the colors. I will disagree with Les and suggest that you avoid adding a blue pillow for now. Your palette is so warm and cozy, I think adding blue (a cool tone) would be jarring to the eye.

LOVE the cabinet! Where did you find it? I want one!

And I must say, I don't care for the sisal rug. I find it too stark. I'm thinking a nice classy, warm-toned oriental? Nothing too fussy or floral.

• les917
    16 years ago

Hard to tell for sure without the rug, and a shot a bit further back to get the whole dining area, but I think it makes more sense, and would allow for a furniture piece on that left wall opposite the kitchen. Maybe just a glass-topped console table there which could act as a server. Or, you could wall mount a long shelf to create the same effect. One thing you will have to watch is the height of that piece, as I think, if I am seeing correctly, you have a pub-height table, not a standard dining table?

Speaking of that, I think you need to raise the pendant light a bit - it seems low in relation to the table and people sitting there.

I think the yellow pillow is perhaps a bit pale, but does add another dimension. Do you have a blouse or shirt or towel in the blue of the picture? Maybe you could try wrapping that around one of the existing pillows just to see if you like the blue.

I was thinking that you could use a tall floor lamp tucked into the corner behind the sectional. I think you have enough room to pull it out just the few inches it would take to get a lamp back there. Or, as we discussed before, get a wall -mounted, plug-in style lamp for on the wall to the left of the window, and put a floor lamp on the left end of the sectional.

Something like this, perhaps:

swing-arm

• teacats
    16 years ago

OOOoooooo -- Les -- four or six mirrors (depending on size) hung in a grid pattern would be wonderful on the back wall! OR even above a console table OR hung on each side of a buffet!! Wonderful idea!!!!

Here's a possible idea to "mirror" that notion! LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB inspiration photo with mirrors on wall

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I was thinking what Les said, your table is higher than normal, so your average buffet is going to look odd.

Personally, I like your area better without the rug under the table. To me the rug seems to make the space feel smaller, plus it's really not big enough to comfortably sit down and not have half the chair off the rug?

I like all that you've done in the FR - I think your TV table will look great. I also like your DR table the way it is in the picture without the rug with the blue photos. It feels more natural that way. I do like the idea of putting a shelf with several items leaning on it etc...Pottery Barn is an excellent place to look at their wall setups. I've always thought they did a really tasteful job. You don't have to buy your stuff from them as they can be expensive, but most of their items can be found elsewhere too. I like this POttery Barn setup - you don't have to do these exact pictures, but I like the mix and match of photos, and knick knacks. You could also do some decorative plates/cups.

{{!gwi}}

• mrstan1234
    16 years ago

Caroleoh - Thats exactly along the lines of what I was thinking - With the table height - a buffet or server would be too short - and I immediately thought of some thin shelves (the floating kind) with pics, plates and other bric-a-brac on them...

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gosh guys. Thanks for all the links. Mclarke, I bought the cabinet at The Roomstore. www.roomstore.com. It's not on their site I don't think but you can put your zip code in and see where their locations are. They just doubled their showroom so it was a new piece they have. Great prices, excellent customer service. Lots of unique things like that.

Les, I'm including a pic of the dining area with the table turned vertically and farther out to see the whole space. Teacats, those 4 mirrors are great. I really love that. I almost want to do those 4 mirrors with those really cool shelves that Caroleoh gave the link for with the pictures leaning up against the wall with the lights above. Great stuff.

The table is counter height so I believe it's 36 inches. So yes, this and the pub height which I think is 54 inches high are really popular right now. And will raise the light, you're right, it's looks too low. About the rug......I'm meeting with the design coordinator at The Roomstore this Sunday (it's free). She's the one that picked out that rug. Told her she needs to try to somehow complete that look with that rug because I'm just not digging it. LOL Maybe it will grow on me once everything comes together, I'll see. But not holding my breath on that one.

Good point about a console table or buffet looking funny since it won't be the same height. Never thought of that. Guess maybe that rules that idea out. I just have to say thank you to all you guys for some great input. It's hard when I have no idea what direction to go in and you have given me ideas I haven't thought of. By the way, if anyone has a Kirklands store near you, they are fabulous. WOW!! They are in the malls mostly I think but they have tons of stuff. I can only imagine how wonderful all your homes must look with all the great suggestions you give.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• les917
    16 years ago

Thanks for the new pix. I really do think the table is better that way. And look at the light in relation to the table - if you move the table to the right to center it under the light, it really does leave you more room on the left for a cabinet or shelves, etc. You even have an outlet there for a lamp!

How about this buffet? In the black cherry? It is 36 inches high, and seems like it might be a nice fit there with your table.

charleston buffet

• chris61
    16 years ago

Sorry to be a naysayer but............

I don't like the sisal rug at all...makes the room feel squished. The table looks better the long way, as you have it in the recent pics....just center it under the light fixture. If you want a rug in there go a size larger and have some color and/or pattern to it. My only concern with a larger rug is that it might then butt up against your existing broadloom on the angle. Perhaps the far wall of the dining-room could be painted in a pale pumpkin, like on your accent cushions, as a feature wall...if feature walls are still in(????).

As far as your living-room goes I feel your very nice sectional looks kinda "squished" into the corner against your french-doors. Pull it a few inches to the left and center it on the wall. It looks like it is a sectional with a chaise on the far end rather than a back all around. Kind of seems like cushion over-kill...maybe you are trying to make extra seating out of the chaise? Lose a few of the back cushions(use for extra seating on the floor)and perhaps one of the accent pillows. I also have a feeling that with the sectional centered you could get away with only one of the paintings (centered of course)...maybe try the other one in the dining-room on the long wall over a slim buffet or console.

I would not recommend getting the painted cabinet; it is too much of a match to your palette. Stick with a wood tone that works with your dining table.

In short you have the makings of a very nice d/r - l/r combo....a very nice palette and really nice furniture and blinds. Just don't feel you have to match everything color-wise..I agree with Les that some touches of blue would be great.

Hope this has not messed-up your design plans...if nothing else...just take back the sisal rug...lol

Cheers, Chris

• judithn
    16 years ago

Hi! Have you already purchased the striped and painted piece for your TV? I personally wouldn't. While it matches your color palette, I think it is styled so differently from the other pieces it's going to look wierd. Your sofa and art and dining room are contemporary and the painted piece is country or traditional, I would say. The bun feet on the chest really clash with the square feet on the sofa. The curving painted decoration on the chest really clashes with the minimalistic lines of the art work. I also think all that pattern will become tiresome to the eye and totally agree with the previous poster than a solid wood color would be better. Also, the piece you've shown us looks like it has drawers. Are they drawers or fake cabinet fronts? Because you're going to need a place to keep and access your DVD player, VCR etc., and drawers won't let you do that.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Love everything you have done so far! It really looks warm and cozy! I like the idea of painting a pumpkin/burnt orange color in the dining room area. I think that would really bring it all together. Something like this:

{{!gwi}}

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, now I think I'm more confused than ever now. LOL
    Les, I like that buffet but it looks more mission style although I guess anything would go with the DR table and chairs. Good height and size though. Chris, I love the pumpkin color for the one wall. Since I live in an apartment I will have to get permission from the manager to paint it. I will ask her. When I met with the design coordinator at the furniture store she is the one who picked out the striped cabinet. She told me people mix and match pieces all the time and even though my furniture was contemporary it also has a tuscan feel to it which is why she chose that cabinet. But.....you're right, the legs won't match the couch as far as design. Didn't think of that. They are delivering it tomorrow. I can always take it back. Actually, I did see another chest/cabinet that I like a lot that was solid darker wood. Might look at that when I go this weekend. As far as the cabinet goes, yes there are 3 drawers however I don't have a DVD or VCR in my living room, just my bedroom. But already thought of that. If I do put a DVD player in there I am simply going to take one of the drawers and put hinges on it so that just the front part of it pulls open and/or down so that the DVD player is seen. Does that make sense. That way the remote and player can interact.

I guess I was so happy to find something that matched like that cabinet for my tv to go on and I did mention to her that it wasn't contemporary but again she said I shouldn't have everything the same as it would look too structered. But now the round legs on that cabinet are bothering me. I can also paint or stain them a darker color to match the wood more but that might not help.

I can also pull the sectional out a bit and center it on the wall. Those aren't french doors though. They are just windows. The one on the far right that I'm not sure you can see in the pic is the only door out of the three of them so I'm not actually blocking anything but the windows themselves. As far as the sectional goes, it is a chaise on the end but I'll attach a pic of the sectional from the manufacturers website to show you that a back/arm actually does wrap almost all the way around to the chaise end. I have thought about getting rid of the two small pillows that are the green color of the sectional. The ones that came with it. Too many pillows you are right. However, I am a pillow person.....LOL....so would probably only get rid of 2 or 3 but will try your suggestion tonight of taking off some of the big ones and see how different it looks. Good idea. Anyway, here are two pics showing the back/arm of the chaise.

{{!gwi}}

• judithn
    16 years ago

Can you post a picture of the darker wood cabinet you're considering instead of the striped one? By the way, unless you're handy, removing a drawer and converting it into a hinged door is going to take some know how. If you decide you want to do it later, do you know some one who is handy and can do it for you? My experience is that if you don't know how and don't have a friend or family member to help, you can end up paying a ridiculous amount of money for the smallest things. So many tradespeople don't want to bother with small things, they charge extra because it interferes with large projects. I'd just hate to see you pay $399 for a cabinet then end up having to pay another hundred bucks or so to get hinges put on it.

With regard to that rug, it is normal to allow a three foot perimeter around a dining table for the diners to move chairs back and forth. The amount of rug peeking out from under your table looks like it falls short of that amount. It might mean people catch their chair legs on the edges of the sisal when they're getting in and out of their chairs. I like the look of the sisal very much, and I think you need a rug there with a dark border to spread the dark color of the wood around. I just think it needs to be bigger to be practical.

By the way, what the lady at the store said about mixing things is true. However, when you mix things you need to make sure their lines and attitudes are more compatible than these two pieces. It's interesting that you saw this and questioned it -- your eye is more developed than you might think. Of course she'd try to brush your comments aside. A sales persons success on the job is based on overcoming customer objections. Over time, what I've learned is to trust my eyes. Sometimes, something is just 'wrong' and I can't exactly justify it in the moment. But eventually, when I analyze it a little more, I usually realize that there was some discrepancy in form or texture or color that my eye was picking up but that my brain couldn't put into words.

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't have a pic of the other cabinet I liked for the tv but can take one this weekend of it. I don't know how to do the hinges on it but figured I'd get a handyman to do it for me or take it to a cabinet shop of some kind. Sounds like you agree that the striped painted cabinet isn't a good match in the living room.

I did read about leaving at least 24 inches to 36 inches on each side of a table and chairs for the very reason you said. So when I went shopping I had my dimensions with me and she agreed with me but said sometimes it's just not possible to do that depending on how much floor space is available. Which is pretty much the case with my small dining room. Anything bigger and I think it would be too close to the walls and maybe interfere with walking into the kitchen area. So, I've had a hard time with that as well, trying to figure out what to sacrifice or give up on some of this. I live alone and rarely have company so the table won't be used much as it is. However, I do like to do puzzles on them so that will be most of it's use. I know, I know.....I need to get a life. LOL

I never would have been so bold on my own to pick out that painted cabinet as I tend to do things safe and go with less flash and more structure and matching and boring I guess. So when she suggested it and I stopped having tunnel vision about what I wanted, I ended up liking her suggestion. But, I'll see what happens. They are delivering it tomorrow and I don't have anything to replace it with so I think I'll let them deliver it, look at it in the room and see how it looks.

Have I mentioned how much I hate decorating. LOL This stuff is just too hard and stressful and then trying to get stuff that goes together and blends, etc......whew.....I'm getting a headache. LOL

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Clearwatergirl, I'm sorry that decorating is giving you a headache.

Ultimately, it's all about what WORKS for you, functionally and aesthetically. If you like the rug but the chair legs catch on it, you're gonna hate it later.

If you like the bureau but the drawers don't work for your purpose, don't get it.

Personally, I love the bureau, and if it worked for my purpose, I would rather have that yummy blaze of color than worry about whether the feet match. But that's just me.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

What mclarke said! Also, I'm a pillow person, too. It helps a pain condition I have to be able to arrange pillows behind me, move 'em around, whatever, so I appreciate them, in addition to thinking they warm things up. I love your sectional and I think the striped cabinet is charming. If it isn't practical for your needs, do not get it. However, if it can be used, I would not reject it based on style. Please do not be offended, but I have a bit of a problem with the art above the sectional because I think it matches too perfectly. I have one piece above my family room sofa that was a gift, so I don't have the heart to move it, but it really bothers me that it matches so well. There is nothing wrong with the sisal, unless the size annoys you. If it does, it will be a constant annoyance and I would replace it.

• chris61
    16 years ago

Sorry if I confused you. Above all you should do what is comfortable for you.

From your pics I see the design of the sofa; really cool and unique. If you like all the pillows for comfort..great.

Still feel the sisal needs to go.

Keep us posted!

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mclarke, you're too funny......."yummy blaze of color"....you're right. I'll know more tomorrow when it's delivered. The rug under the table really doesn't bother me as I live by myself and I'm pretty much the only one that's going to use the table and usually just use it to do puzzles on anyway. I know, I know....I need to get a life. LOL

I actually will use the cabinet and it will serve my purpose..PLUS...I can have some more storage and who doesn't need that!!! I took off two of the small green pillows and one large green one that came with the sectional. Chris, you are right, I think it looks better like that. At least now you can see the back or arm on the chaise and I like that. Now, what do I do with these 3 I took off. I took two pics, one where I just layed them on the floor at the end of the sectional and one without them there at all. I know you said to use them for people to sit on but where on earth do I keep them? Isn't it sad I have to ask such a simple question? LOL

Kitchendetective.....you think it matches to well???? I'm totally confused on that one. I didn't know something could match too well. LOL You are saying to make things "off" a little bit maybe?

Also, here are some pics I like from Art.com. Now, in MY mind, some of these might go on the walls in the dining room but I'd like to know what you guys think if any of them appeal to you with the dining set. I might be mixing stuff here that doesn't go. Am I on the right track with any of those?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• les917
    16 years ago

Pretty please, just for me, would you throw a blue pillow (or something blue wrapped around a pillow) into the mix on the couch for me?

I know, I am SOOOOO annoying...

As for the other art, I like a lot of what you picked. But if you are considering some piece of furniture for in the DR area, I would get that first, then pick out the art.

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

In our former condo, we had a small dining area like yours. Smaller though and boxier. We also had a dark table and chairs.

We ended up, after much trial and error, paying less than $200 for the black/brown Expedit unit from Ikea. Very stylish and can be customized with doors, baskets, etc. I think it would go very well with your set as well. We had the large unit with 16 openings, but the smaller one, with eight cubbies looks smashing turned on it's side as a buffet unit.

Of the art, I like the last grouping of six. I agree shades of blue and green would look lovely with the dark brown. And really make your orange/rust accents pop!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turn this unit (in black/brown) on side as buffet

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

Oh gosh, I just realized your table is counter height. Ours was too! The stools make such better use of a tight space.

Anyway, in that case, you may find the larger unit works better. We did.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Like Les, I would like to see some blue in that room to take the "heat off," and bring in an element of surprise.

I like the piece the lady picked out because it warms your space and eliminates the hard surfaces.

HATE the sisal rug.

JMHO.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I love the Poppy Nine Patch group... this one...

{{!gwi}}

It has all your colors, plus some cool-tone edges for Les. It depicts flowers and grasses, which are soft images, but the modern geometry really suits the room.

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for more suggestions. I'm just not sure I'm going to have room in the dining area for another piece of furniture so maybe some shelves will work for one wall. Okay, well here are pics with the cabinet that was delivered this morning. I think the goldish color in it works with the goldish color in the rug but still am gonna need a lot of work to pull it all together. LOL

So, anyway, here they are:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mclarke
    16 years ago

LOVE the cabinet. Lock your doors tonight, or I'm gonna sneak in steal it.

Why not put the Nine Patch art on the wall in the dining area?

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Will add another deadbolt tonight just for you mclarke. LOL Glad you like it. I really do too. Will need some greenery around too somewhere. I do like that one a lot, the Nine patch one. Was wondering if it would be too much color with the living room. However, I do really like it. Also was thinking about this one, the colors more subdued. But more boring as well. Oh decisions, decisions. This really shouldn't be this difficult. I don't think anyone else would take this long to figure all this out. LOL

{{!gwi}}

• teacats
    16 years ago

LOVE that artwork! Great colors! :)

.... and your idea to hang free-standing shelves on the back wall is wonderful too! :)

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

Please don't hang artwork that matches the dining room table in the dining room and then artwork that matches the sectional in the living room. Too regimented, too predictable, too matchy-matchy. Yes, I like things a bit off. Putting the artwork with rusts, golds, greens, and blue (Poppy Nine Patch?) in the dining room would bring things together, instead of ohwehavebrowninthediningroomandrustinthelivingroomand never the twain shall meet. You could do a touch of cool aqua in the dining room, too. I bet Les could come up with an area rug with a simple design or a centerpiece that would work, especially contrasted with one terra cotta wall--if your manager will give you the go ahead. The right cool contemporary wall sculpture would look great against a colorful wall, too, without crowding the dining room table.

• chris61
    16 years ago

Hey guess what? I like the cabinet! Did not notice the dark wood on it in the pic from the store....it really coordinates well with everything. Any room in the budget for a flat-screen tv?

Keep trusting your instincts and it will all come together.

• Jamie
    16 years ago

Looking good, tiny comment.

Have you tried flipping the art above the couch? That would put the weight of the biggest trees on the outside of the composition instead of toward the middle.

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kitchendetective, I read your comment wrong. I thought you said NOT to put something like the Poppy Nine Patch in the dining room but you actually said that it might work to put that there. Good point about not putting all browns in the dining room but aqua???? Wish I could wrap my brain around that one. Maybe I am just too predictable. LOL I'm trying to visualize how that wouldn't clash with the other colors but then again, it might work. Again, great you guys are thinking out side the box when I live inside it. LOL

Thanks Chris. The wood does seem darker when I got it here which I'm glad for. A flat screen tv? I haven't priced those and not sure I can afford one with having to pay for new furniture but will look into that. They might be more affordable than I think. That would look better I guess on that cabinet than the regular tv that's on it now.

Jamies...I originally had the artwork flipped like you suggest with the larger trees being on the outside but it seemed to look odd and not pull the look together as much as it does this way. It just didn't look right to me.

I am about to leave and take pics of the LR and DR with me back to the furniture store where I am meeting the design coordinator there. She told me she could help me maybe pick out some things for those walls and I'm printing out everyone's suggestions to take with me. Gonna tell her if she can't make that darn sisal rug work somehow then I'm bringing it back. It's growing on me.....I think. Not sure yet. Thank you guys so much for your input. Will let you know if anything is decided. You guys are so valuable with your knowledge.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

Here's what I mean about the Poppy Nine Patch. It doesn't exactly match what you have going on in the dining room, but it does coordinate with the living room, so it affords continuity between the two. The blue in the art above the sofa reads aqua to me, so that is where the aqua came from. My problem with the art above the sofa is that it offers no variation--other than a tiny aqua or blue spot--from the shades and hues of the sofa and pillows.

• nanmeade
    16 years ago

clearwatergirl, look at the Poppy Nine Patch that mclarke posted on Friday. In the middle group, the box to the left has aqua in it. Like water and ferns together or like the aqua of the sky with green grass and autumn colored trees. That blue is part of nature. Your pictures above your couch show the sun setting hence the gold toned sky but normally that sky would be blue. You have green and orange and it needs something to break it up. Les said it at the very beginning and I think that is what kitchendetective is trying to say. I think an aqua blue would be beautiful with your colors.

• lynnski
    16 years ago

I've linked below to a great piece of furniture that we use as a console. It's works wonderfully for us, and might be a good height for your DR buffet. Good dimensions (high + not too deep), a lot of work to assemble, adn a fantastic price for what you get!

Here is a link that might be useful: buffet to consider

• dlfrun66
    16 years ago

clearwater..I don't know what everyone else has suggested, I didn't have tome to go back through the post right now, but have you considered painting. I just painted my dining room in an old world parchment technique. It added a lot of depth and dimension to the room. It has the look of leather.

• clearwatergirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, yes I think I am going to go ahead and paint one wall in the dining room a terra cotta/pumpkin color. I talked with my apartment manager and she said I could paint any and all walls if I want to. Any upgrades I want to make are fine as long as I paint them back to the normal color when/if I move out.

So I'm thinking about painting the wall one the left in the dining room and then maybe carrying that same color into the kitch and paint the wall space in there. There isn't much wall showing to paint but it might look good. One question.....do you guys suggest I paint both dining rooms wall and kitch or just one wall for accent? I've never painted before so this will be a first. Also, should I paint if I still have no idea what kind of decorations I'm going to put up? Or just paint the wall(s) then see what goes with them as far as wall art/sculptures, etc?

I was looking in pottery barns catalog last night and came across these 8 leaf prints. I don't particularly like them against a green wall but as we're finding out,I know nothing about decorating. LOL Maybe against my cream wall or on the terra cotta/pumpkin wall? Here is the pic of the prints.

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz