SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Nightstand - should I paint this black?

User
13 years ago

I've been looking for a nightstand for DH. We wanted something with at least one drawer of storage. I have a hard time paying a few hundred dollars for something that's partical board so I've been trying to find something on CL. I contacted a seller other day about one, because they failed to list the dimensions, and still haven't heard back.

It hit me today I have this pine stand that I painted white (it was really ugly with green drawers and hand painted flowers) and was going to glaze/distress but never got that far. I think I'm going to use this since the height is good and it has lots of storage.

Would you paint it black or brown? I was thinking black, distress/stain a little and add larger antique gold knobs.

What do you think?

{{gwi:1869420}}

{{gwi:1869421}}

Note - This room is in progress. - That bedside lamp will change along with other things.

Comments (100)

• nanny2a
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Shee, wall sconces on each side of the bed are wonderful, and we love ours! It frees up all the room on the side tables, and is great for in-bed reading, which both DH and I do a lot of. Don't just think hotels use them!

I'm looking for new wall sconces myself, I bought these from PB several years ago and would like to update them. They have so many unique styles these days that I'm sure you could find some that would work for your room.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Shee.....
    Omg!! Your bedding is gawgeous!! Oh goodness....love every bit of it!

It looks like that you could move the dresser down an inch or two and bed over a bit, too. I know we all get caught up in having things measure correctly but sometimes it is just by how it feels. I, too, really like the round table. Maybe you can take that table (since we usually care more about the lack of clutter than our DH) and you could get a rolling storage bin for under your bed. You could keep all the junk that seems to accumulate on the bedside table & just roll it out when needed (or stash quickly when people are coming over!! LOL)

Smiles:)

• Related Discussions

Newbie Needs to Paint Night Stand

Q

Comments (4)
    I recently painted a nightstand, but it was hardwood. Sauder furniture is prefabricated so I would clean it thoroughly, lightly sand, prime and paint. In between coats, I would use a wet sand paper to really smooth out bumps you may find in the first coat. Then reapply until it's coverage is it up to your standards. Then use a poly coat to give it a nice hard finish. ALSO, once dry, move it into the room you are planning on using it in and give it several days (I like to wait a week) to fully cure before putting the drawer in and certainly before setting anything on or in it. Otherwise, you can set something on it and end up taking the paint right off when you remove it. It's not hard at all. You can do!! Good luck!
    ...See More

Wknd. Project: DD Bedside Table Painted

Q

Comments (40)
    Foxes, I can't wait to see how your DDs room comes out! Our "little" girl is a 25 year old career woman in another city now, but loves to come home to visit and stay in her old room. I hope someday she will have a child who can use her furniture--- we have just the chest and coatrack in her room right now, but there are two bookcases and a set of dolls furniture all painted by the same person that are in storage waiting for someday. Our mirrors are amazingly similar! I recently went over ours with gold rub 'n buff just to brighten it up. The glazing is cloudy and watered, which stopped bothering me when they began selling new mirrors like that. Your chandelier also reminds me of ours :) and our DDs bedroom stuff in her apt is PB matin toile in red, which she picked out with no prompting from me..... I feel have Done My Duty by the girl if she voluntarily selects toile!
    ...See More

How can I make these nightstands work with this headboard?

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm also of the opinion that I would do something with the headboard before I would mess with the nightstands. I would paint the headboard the same color as the trim in the room (white?), so it would give the feel of blending in as a piece of architecture. With it white, it would be a blank canvas and maybe you could visualize it a pretty complementing color to the room later on. I think the color of the headboard wood looks a little dated, but the shape and form is simple and classic. That's my reasoning for painting. I would not paint the nightstands. I think the effect would be weird, and the shadows created would contrast too much right on the furniture. Nightstands would appear to be black and white because of the shadows created...they would not just look white (hope that makes sense). I like the nightstands, but they do have a complexity to them. I would be careful with adding cane or something on the doors. It wouldn't take much hacking to make them look like an overdone craft project. Also, I think the nightstands in their current color are great. With a white or very neutral blended headboard, you could really play off the darker wood nightstands with some decor pieces elsewhere in the room. Gayle
    ...See More

should I paint these nightstands

Q

Comments (38)
    Thanks Oly that is a unique lamp, and I like the style. I agree with others that a upholstered headboard would look good, but I will probably be moving in a couple years, and just don't want to accumulate more big furniture to move. I guess I would not have to get lamps. I was thinking if I did get one, if it was about 24" high it would just cover the mat/border on the art, kind of like this If I don't add lamps, should the art be a bit lower? I didn't hang the other picture until I decide on the positioning.
    ...See More
  • Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I had another thought...get a round table top/wood piece at HD and place it over the white chest and cover with cloth. Easy table! Not to mention the hidden storage!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry about the weird spacing.

I called back about the last table. It was 24" high. I went to look at it and it was gone. Wasn't meant to be. Bought this instead.

{{gwi:1869431}}

I love the picture but not wild about the frame. It's like gold/green leafed or something. Think I'll darken it and see if that helps. Not sure where I'm going to use it.

Nicole, Those last few pics with the white bed is my old full size bed I replace with the iron. The first pics are how it currently looks and this is what I'm aiming for.

{{gwi:1859530}}

Natal -The long dresser won’t fit on the wall where the chest is. I could move the dresser down towards the door about a foot. There is a lightswitch there but that's not really a big deal.

Paintergirl -Sounds good. The stairs are finally 99% dry. I need to get the painters tape off. Any idea what I can do about those few scuffs without having to repaint the treads? SW guy said I'd have to repaint them. :(

Val - The wing chair won’t fit. The room isn’t deep enough. If you're facing the window, I tried to put the web chair in the corner to the left and it sticks out over the trim and closet door a good few inches and looks goofy. Once the new curtains are there it would have to move forward even more.

The decorative box is a good idea for his stuff. I'll post some photos below of the smaller table I have.

Nanny - Your room is so pretty. I see you did switch over to romans. It looks very nice. I'm really leaning towards the wall lamps now.

Scooby - Thanks! I'll have the bedskirt back soon. It matches the houndstooth pillows.

Kmcg - That's a thought too.

Here's a smaller round table. I know that tablecloth DOESN'T go. Just threw it on for an idea.

{{gwi:1869432}}

**I didn't bother to stage any of these photos so excuse the junk please.

I moved the bed down. It allows more room on the long dresser side but it feels funny to me. The fan not being centered is odd. Maybe because I'm not used to seeing it. It's now centered with the tall chest and 2 doors.

{{gwi:1869433}}

{{gwi:1869434}}

See the outlet? Not cool. :(

{{gwi:1869435}}

{{gwi:1869436}}

Still room with the bed moved over.

{{gwi:1869437}}

{{gwi:1869438}}

Bed still moved over with the round wood table.

{{gwi:1869439}}

I might need to just look at all this for a few days. I think the round wood table looks like it doesn't belong in a bedroom and I'm not sure what my thoughts are on a skirted table for DH. I would honestly rather find a table like that CL one. What do you think of everything moved down?

• natal
    13 years ago

I think your dh deserves a decent/usable nightstand. Function is more important in this case. It's a private area of your home where you both should be allowed to showcase your personalities. Compromise!!!

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

This is kind of weird, but have you given thought to moving the bed to the wall next to the door? You couldn't fit the nightstands on either side, but then you could put another place for your DH to put his stuff at night.

Our room is so oddly laid out that we don't have room for nightstands, so I put up a wall sconce light (on my side) and DH and I have gotten used to putting our assorted things in designated spots.

I liked the last night stand you showed, and think that is what works best for your space. Like the table, it's got the thin, tall legs, and that openness works with your bed. Not loving a table, and not loving the bed moved over. Someone mentioned a chair...maybe a rail back chair would work?

The room is certainly coming along, I love the red coverlet on the bed so much more than the brown.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal, "Compromise!!!"
    We do when DH cares but he doesn't for this. He doesn't think he really needs a nightstand or a lamp, lol.
    I agree it should be practical which was why I was all for the drawers.

Pesky, Thanks! The bed would probably fit but I couldn't function without my nightstand. I did try a few chairs beside the bed but they weren't the right height or style and it just seemed weird to me.

• redecor8
    13 years ago

Just an idea: How about moving the dresser to your side of the bed and moving the bed way over the other way? No idea how or if it would work. Then move the smaller piece to your husband's side.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Bed feels funny to me too. Can the dresser be moved 6in towards the door. It doesn't feel centered on the wall, closer to wall than door as it is in the pic. Honestly, the round table doesn't look bad at all and I like the skirt too. In the collage, I wanted to show you how there was a nightstand right next to the dresser too. It works. That bed looks like a king but the space issues are the same. Maybe a nightstand will work, but you are not use to seeing one there. I would move the dresser a smidge towards the door and put the nightstand on that side and live with it for the weekend to see how it feels.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Redecor - The bed won't fit between the bathroom and closet door. I did try the dresser in front of the window
    before but that felt very odd to me.

Kmcg - I'm sure it has something to do with I'm not used to seeing anything. I'll move the dresser down. (Well, I'll have to take the drawers out of it first, ha.) I didn't have it centered on the wall because of the lightswitch. DH has a terrible habit of throwing stuff right there at the space beside the dresser, it wouldn't be creeping out the door at times if it were on the other side. :o) Right now I have the white table back in there and think it looks the best to me but maybe visually I like it better because it's not too deep.

I bought a paint sample yesterday. I'll get that posted in a bit.

• natal
    13 years ago

How about a valet for the top of the dresser, so dh's stuff would look a little more organized?

Here is a link that might be useful: dresser valets

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I agree with kmcg on this one. Slide the dresser closer to the door. It's OK if the switch is above. Put bed back where you had it. It feels closed in with the tall chest there. Honestly, it looks like you should have enough drawer space for the room. Not sure if you have space, but just wanted to throw out another suggestion. Put the tall chest where dresser is now, move dresser to under the window, then get a bench for the end of the bed. Then you could toss your pillows/jackets/put on shoes with the bench. I'd love to have a bench in my room--if I could. That way with dresser out of DH's pathway, he won't be so tempted to use it as a dumping ground when he comes in the room and you could decorate the top of it.

Another option for space is closet organizers which can help you get the most from your closet. Men in particular can do double rows on rods with doubles your storage right there. I personally prefer your pie crust table there. It does not look odd to me and I like that it is not another bulky item. Perhaps what is needed is smaller storage type cubbies for your Dh to put his stuff--via a combination of decorative boxes or the dresser valet Natal suggested. What I like about my box is you can leave it open, toss your stuff inside and when you don't want to see it, just close it. Sometimes the little compartments can be restrictive depending on what you want to store.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Lots of moving for you, but if you did put the tall chest where dresser is now and dresser under the window, then you'd have room for a chair in that right cover--and then perhaps won't look so odd to see the round table there.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal - I don't mind seeing the cell phone and that type of thing but this is stuff that just isn't put back where it belongs. There were screws, two things of fishing wire, change, lists (he's a big list maker), pens, work stuff... If he's going to not put it away right I'd rather it be shoved in a "junk drawer". He's good about the main areas of the house but the dresser is the drop all place. Thankfull he eventually goes through the stuff and puts it back.

I bumped the dresser down centered on the wall and that looks better. I'm not sure why I took the lightswitch into consideration like that.

Val, I guess I think it would just look funny to have a dresser under a window. It would become part of the main focal point then. I think a chair would stick out too far unless it were something small like the web back chair. Being in my room, everything seems like it's at the place it was meant to be. I'll have to think about it.

That's the new paint sample, SW Dromedary Camel.
    {{gwi:1869440}}
    {{gwi:1869441}}
    Different view of the room.
    {{gwi:1869442}}

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

I think either the white table painted brown or wait for another table like the last one you lost from CL.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I love that wall color! That will really help to pull everything together.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

How about this - forget adding another nightstand and move the long dresser next to the bed in the place of the nightstand.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Love the Dromedary Camel!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terri - I'm going to assume that's not a serious comment.

• cat_tail
    13 years ago

I think terriks is just suggesting the same thing that redecor8 suggested above, and which may be a good idea- slide your bed down to the right and put the dresser (if it'll fit) to the left of the bed to double as your nightstand, with the actual nightstand then placed at your husband's side.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Yes, I was totally serious. In our previous home we actually used two dressers beside the bed rather than nightstands. Starting from the window wall it looks as if you might have enough room to put your long dresser, then your bed, then your nightstand, or nightstand, bed, dresser.

• msrose
    13 years ago

but wouldn't she have a big blank wall with nothing on it if she moved the dresser to the side of the bed?

Shee - Since I couldn't get a matching nightstand for the other side of my bed, that's why I decided to go with a fabric covered table. I do also like the round table and that was something I considered.

Laurie

• natal
    13 years ago

Starting from the window wall it looks as if you might have enough room to put your long dresser, then your bed, then your nightstand, or nightstand, bed, dresser.

What a bizarre suggestion.

• cat_tail
    13 years ago

I've seen dressers or desks used by designers to double as nightstands a number of times. I don't think I've seen a dresser as long as Shee's used, but I think it is absolutely worth a try.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Maybe I'm not explaining it well, because I don't understand why it's such a bizarre suggestion. I also don't understand why every wall needs to have a piece of furniture on it.
    Here's a picture from my old house, the pieces on each side of the bed are dressers, not nightstands. I don't think that they are as wide as Shee's. They each have 6 drawers.

• natal
    13 years ago

Terriks, your wall looks twice as long as Shee's.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Love the Dromadary Camel and also the brown throw at the base of the bed. Regarding, putting the dresser below the window, did you check out scooby's thread about her DR makeover? In one of the pics, she had placed her buffet under her window. While she didn't keep it there, I didn't think it looked odd--esp. if you pull out the dresser 4-6" from the wall. It's hard to tell from your pictures, just how wide the dresser is in proportion to the window width. As you are doing stationary panels, they can be dressed to either side with perhaps some overlap with the dresser. Another reason I suggested it, is that it seems the dresser is yours and the tall chest is your DH's so moving the two places his stuff near his sleeping side and your stuff near your sleeping side. Esp. if you have different times of the morning you are getting up/going to bed, it would be less disruptive to one another to do it this way. Just a suggestion, which it's hard to tell if it'd work or not without knowing the measurements, etc. In lieu of that, I do like the round table (either skirted or unskirted) for his side of the room since it breaks up the boxiness/bulkiness of your space.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

I would try the dresser centered on the window, as Valinsv suggested, pulled out a few inches to allow for the curtain panels behind, and the bed moved back to underneath the fan. Tall chest on the wall where the dresser used to be. That positioning would put those pieces of furniture used by Shee and her DH on their respective sides of the bed, and should allow for enough room on each side of the bed for night stands, too. I think it's worth trying! You probably should invest in some of those furniture sliders, to make the move easier.

it would also give you an open walkway between closets and bathroom, with no furniture in the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: furniture glides

• natal
    13 years ago

I like the suggestion to move the dresser to the window wall, but how tall is the dresser? Would it sit below or level with the windowsill or cover part of the window?

• natal
    13 years ago

Something else to consider ... if Shee's kitties are like mine the dresser would become an open invitation to a great window view. Which means then she'd have to figure out a way to prevent it from becoming scratched. I have a cedar chest in front of my bedroom windows that has lots of kitty marks. Now I keep a folded quilted throw on top.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys! I've been away all day.

Terri I wasn't understanding you right. I was thinking you meant keep the dresser as it is now and slide it over beside the bed. I was trying to figure out how DH would get out of bed in the morning, lol.

That inspiration photo I love from RMS by Lshobe had a dresser on the one side but it's not as long as mine. That still wouldn't fix the problem of I want DH to have a drawer. We could get him a basket for that misc. crap that should have a home for under the bed. Ha, so the white stand is by the bed right now and guess where that stuff is?? Right on top! :) The typical stuff like alarm clock, cell, glasses wouldn't bother me.

Ok, I'll try the dresser under the window just for you guys but I don't think I'm going to like it. I don't think I want that dresser being one of the main things seen when you walk by the room and the cats will always be on it. I have to constantly vacuum/lint roll my LR curtains because the cats are up at the window, perched on the furniture.

The long dresser is a little under 6'. 71" from the widest tips along the side. The window with trim is 78". The height of the dresser is 32-1/2". It looks like it will cover about 4" of the bottom of the window.

I'll be back.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Sorry I can't concentrate on the nightstand because of the beautiful kittie in your first picture. Lovely!

• natal
    13 years ago

...so the white stand is by the bed right now and guess where that stuff is?? Right on top!

LOL ... the best laid plans. You're either going to have to retrain him or learn to live with it.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Terri I wasn't understanding you right. I was thinking you meant keep the dresser as it is now and slide it over beside the bed. I was trying to figure out how DH would get out of bed in the morning, lol.

Sorry that I wasn't more clear. That would have been bizarre!

BTW, that wall in my old room was just about 14 feet. Our dressers were 48 inches wide, and the bed is queen sized.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mustangs - Thanks!

You know I love you guys but this was tougher than moving my LR furniture. DH ran out quick so I did this myself without sliders. Managed to put a small hole in the coverlet from one of the drawers. Grr..

When I change curtains, besides being raised up I will have them just framing the window so they're be out to the sides more.

I would need to bump the dresser out more to close the curtains at night. It made everything kind of cluttered up on my side now.

Pretend the tall dresser is centered. I thought it was.

I don't need a bench at the end of the bed. They're pretty but it won't get used. And really, until you add a bench, you might as well have the tall dresser there on the wall. Now with nothing there, there's 4'1" between the footboard and wall.

{{gwi:1869445}}
    {{gwi:1869446}}
    {{gwi:1869447}}
    {{gwi:1869448}}
    {{gwi:1869449}}

Here's my webchair that's in been in storage in the orphange furniture room. I think it's too small in scale but I wanted to see. The wingchair won't fit. You'll have to pretend the tall dresser is moved down more.

{{gwi:1869450}}
    {{gwi:1869451}}
    As far as the dresser were flipped from the sides of bed we sleep on, that hasn't been a problem.

I don't like it but I'm not used to seeing it. Thoughts?

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I'm not sure about the low dresser under the window, but I really like the tall dresser on the other wall with the chair in the corner. I think that if the window just had the side panels it would look better with the dresser there.

• natal
    13 years ago

I sort of like the dresser at the window, but how will you protect it from the kitties? Do you have enough room to maneuver on your side of the bed? I don't care for the chair in either shot. How would it look on the now empty wall between the closet and bathroom? Now you have plenty of room to get your dh a nice size night table with lots of drawers. ;)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To my surprise, DH likes it.
    DH: "I really like it. There's so much more room. Did you do that all by yourself?" :D I told him the cats helped.

The curtains would be framing the dresser. Right now, they're a good 10" over the sides. I put the one side behing the holdback thing so you could kind of see.

I have plenty of room on my side but God forbid I ever have to get out that window fast.
    {{gwi:1869452}}
    {{gwi:1869453}}
    {{gwi:1869454}}
    {{gwi:1869456}}

That white CL nightstand above, I just called the guy about a 1/2 hour ago and told him I didn't want it.

I think that chair looks too small.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dh was wants to know why I moved the chair because he'll sit there to put his socks on in the morning. .... I never knew this was an issue. I mentioned a bench and he didn't like that idea. LOL. In the end, he'll adjust to whatever. This isn't something he cares about too passionately.

Here's without the chair. The tall dresser should probably be centered but just pretend for now.

{{gwi:1869458}}
    {{gwi:1869460}}

View from the bed. Nanny2a is making me a coordinating shower curtain and I'll be making a valance.
    {{gwi:1869461}}

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Shee: I'm sorry I put you to so much work and about your coverlet tearing. I do like it and will like it more with the WTs placed a little wider like you are planning to do. I'm a bit confused if you are planning operable drapes or stationary panels. I know you want to do the romans; but if you opt for this layout I'd suggest doing some type of liner with the romans so that they can be room darkening enough without having to pull the drapes. It looks like the dimensions match almost perfectly between the dresser and the window width so the WTs could then frame the dresser. Would be interesting to see your PS with the dresser there now. Im trying to think how you'd decorate the top given the WT placement--perhaps with a big vase or urn in the center and move the lamp elsewhere? I'm sure some here can give you some good suggestions.

However, I would like the tall chest closer to the switches instead of trying to center on the wall. That gives the web chair more breathing room and it is nice to see the webchair being used again. How do the corners look with the nightstands? Any chance to bring back the skirted nightstand? If you use the web chair I agree to skip the bench. Not that you need anything along that wall, but if you wanted to it would be a nice spot for a decorative laundry hamper or bookcase with some baskets in the shelves so you could toss in sundry items you do not have space for elsewhere. Also, a great spot for a larger scale artwork--perhaps the girl and the lampb painting you just bought. You are planning to try to find the mirror for

That said, though, if it doesn't feel right to you, no matter what we say, just switch it back because placement in the bedroom is a personal preference and in the end doesn't really matter what we like, it's what works best for you and your DH. You are always really such a good sport about keeping an open mind and trying new things even if you are skeptical. I think that's part of the reason so many of us enjoy offering suggestions.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Shee: We must've posted at the same time. Put the web chair back since it seems your DH wants it for putting on shoes and then you won't need to slide the chest down. That's what I use my chair for and with it in the corner, if he tosses a jacket there or something it will be a bit hidden from view when you walk in the door and won't bother you so much. I think with more breathing room between the chair and the chest it will look fine. Also you can hang a picture above the chair and it will make it look more balanced. Have your DH try holding the one you just bought over the chair and you'll see what I mean.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

shee: Can you pull out the rod to either side to show the look you are planning? Since one piece slides into the other to make it adjustable, as long as it's long enough you could do this (and if it's not you could slide a dowel between the two ends). I know the hooks will be in the wrong place. It's just for a visual. I was able to do that in my DD's room when I was trying to visualize how a wider WT would look and it really helped.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - It's more of a tiny puncture. Still frustrating though. At least a didn't break the bank on the coverlet! :)

I wanted to be able to close the curtains at night. The romans would mainly be for pretty. I wouldn't have to add the bamboo romans but I thought they could add some nice texture.

If you look at the last couple of pics the tall dresser is moved down about to the lightswitch.

I loved that brass lamp when I bought it cheap at the thrift store. I paid too much for the shade that I think is too small and couldn't return. I'm about ready to get rid of it. I don't think it looks right on the dresser either but it was basically my last attempt to use it.

I'll move the round table back.

I have this chair and had considered using it in the office if we ever get it done. Obviously it would need recovered. Maybe in the plaid if I keep this layout?
    {{gwi:1869462}}
    {{gwi:1869463}}
    {{gwi:1869464}}
    {{gwi:1869465}}
    Oh, I wanted to mention, there are character marks on top the vanity already. I don't know how that will be with the cats.

I feel like I'm trying to make the vanity look like a focal point, like a fireplace, but it's not a fireplace, iykwim.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I moved the rod out so the curtains just go over the trim. They wouldn't touch the sides of the dresser IRL but it doesn't look like there's much breathing room on these pics.
    {{gwi:1859532}}
    Here's the round table.
    {{gwi:1869466}}
    {{gwi:1869467}}
    I put that new picture in the LR but that doesn't have to be the permanent home.
    {{gwi:1869468}}
    {{gwi:1869469}}

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Shee: First things first. Don't worry about a chair too much until you work out the details of the window wall--because I know this may change what you decide to do with your WTs and you need to get it right or it will look off. It does look odd to close the drapes so if you opt for this layout, plan for stationary panels with some type of roman or blind for privacy and room darkening. I do think you may find you like it once you live with it. It looks like your closet is the second door so now all your clothes are in one area of the room....how cool is that?

• iknownothingatall
    13 years ago

Not sure how deep the dresser is, but would it work at the foot of the bed?

• ctlane
    13 years ago

I wanted to say that I really like the long dresser in front of the window. You could still close the drapes at night. No one will see that except for the two of you. When they are open it would be ok to have a small bit of them go behind the dresser. The white nightstand looks larger without the dresser beside it, so now I like that too. The room looks larger this way.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - The curtains would only be closed at night before we go to bed so we'd be the only ones to see it this way. I honestly don't like how they look closed with or without the dresser infront but I need them covered and I'd rather pull the curtains than to spend a bunch of money on quality romans to raise and close every day.
    Do you think I could still use romans (mainly for decorative and to give the illustion of a taller window since I'm bumping the rod and those up to the ceiling) with panels and a dresser at the bottom?

Iknow - The depth would be ok but it's too long and would stick out at the sides of the bed.

Ctlane - I agree the room does look larger.

I need to look at it a few days. The tall dresser could bump down another 2-1/2" - 3" towards the lightswitch.
    I think the taller chair looks good IRL with the white nightstand but in photos, I think it looks kind of cluttered. Not sure what I think about the window. I never see a dresser under a window like that and I just feel like it looks goofy. I can't picture the new drapes.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Definitely not the skirted table and the skirted chair together--choose one or the other. I personally like the webchair as the skirted one seems a tad fussy, but if you reupholster it in the plaid with more of a pleated skirt rather than the ruffles it has now, I think it could work. If you have the fabric that you are thinking of, you can drape it over the top.

The girl and lamb is lovely and large, but does it go with the more cozy, less formal/fussy feeling you are going for in there? I like it for the empty spot between the doorways; unless you are thinking you'd like a TV in your bedroom, then I'd suggest a slim console table there with a flat screen TV. Hey, maybe that will get your DH's vote! ;) Sort of like your demilune in LR, though I know you've promised that to your sister.

I'll be curious also to hear what others think about this arragement. I'm sure Monday, you'll get some more feedback or could start a separate thread about layout suggestions and link it back to this thread.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - You don't think the web chair looks tiny in the corner? I'll have to drape the plaid over the other chair. I'm still not convinced about the round table because of the storage issue. Although he could just throw the stuff in a basket underneath. I don't have any extra fabric so I'd have to order more and I'm not sure how I'd go about recovering it. Guess I should focus more on the window right now.

I do like the lamb picture above the demilune table but I was just thinking last night it looks kind of fussy for the LR and I'm trying to get away from it. Why am I drawn to that stuff when I want cozy!?

I don't want a tv in the bedroom.

Ha, how did this thread turn into rearranging thread? :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!