SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abergdc_gw

About to pull trigger on kitchen design and having cold feet

abergdc
14 years ago

Were about to bid out the work and order the cabinets, and I had cold feet reading all the interesting comments on designs people send in.

We have a small kitchen and are redoing it for three reasons:

1. We need to replace everything. We have an old electric range with no outside ventilation, a broken fridge, and old inefficient cabinets with no drawers or pullouts and a big hidden corner. (And I guess ugly too, though thatÂs my wifeÂs business).

2. We want to open up to the adjacent dining room, to be able to cook and clean and enjoy the company of our two kids (9 and 11) and guests.

3. We want better light and ventilation. The rear of the kitchen has a window that is now mostly covered with (admittedly useful) storage, and the best view and light come from the adjacent dining room.

We have lots of constraints, mainly in the form of setback restrictions that prevent almost any expansions. So we are living within the space we have.

So attached are the surface plan and a few elevations, to give the idea. We are basically removing the wall between the kitchen and the dining room, leaving two 48"-high walls (with cabinets on the dining room side) with counters on top as partial dividers at each end of the large arched opening. On the opposite side (the rear), we are putting in a bit of an overhang and 15" deep base cabinets and counter (at 36" tall), with window above. New fridge (sub-zero) and range (probably Thermador 30" all gas) plus an Advantium 30" below counter complement a nice Bosch dishwasher we are keeping. WeÂre going with inset cabinets (my wifeÂs aesthetic choice) for this '20s house.

Some notes on the design: we are leaving a lot of wall on the range side. We donÂt like the massed-wall-cabinet look. There will be small spice cabinet (open) sort-of built-in to the wall to the left of the range, about 3" deep. And a small pot-rack in the small alcove where the rear window is. The stairway at the rear of the kitchen goes down to a frequently-used basement, which we are also renovating. WeÂll put a 3Â run of 15"-deep cabinets down there as a sort of a pantry for little-used small appliances, spare bulk stuff, etc. WeÂre pushing out the back alcove a bit, but even that is limited by the setback restrictions. The opening above the sink looks into an adjacent family room, and we want to keep that pretty much as is.

WeÂre still tweaking the cabinet layout a bit. For example, weÂre still figuring out what to do with a bit of extra space we have in the base cabinets to the left of the fridge (as discussed in another thread).

We think weÂve pretty much got it figured out, but as I say after reading all the excellent comments on others' designs I guess I'm not so sure, so comments welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Comments (18)