SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim545

Please review my Warm Modern Kitchen

kim545
11 years ago

Here is my latest (and hopefully final ) Ikea kitchen plan.

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI...SharedDesign=1

The brown doors will be custom walnut fronts from Scherr's. The counters will be either White Quartzite or a white marble-looking quartz.

The high white cabinets will be panel covers for our 30" Thermador Fridge and Freezer columns.

The square window in the walnut cabinet wall is actually a pass-through to the dining room. I may frame this entire opening with either white shell mosaic tiles or a thin veneer of the counter top material.

The window in front of the sink is actually a sliding-glass door at counter height out to the patio. The wall jutting out to the island from this window wall ended up being far bigger than planned, but it's structural concrete block so there's no moving it.

I'm really afraid I am making this island too tight to the wall next to the sink. But since it's mostly counter over-hang across from the wall, it will not impede the opening of any cabinets or appliances.

What is the smallest walkway I should consider around my island on the pantry side?? Am I being realistic that 32" from the cooking side of the island to that block wall section will be an adequate walk-through area?

I've gone over and over this kitchen layout, but always end up at this same configuration. A limiting factor is that we have a downdraft vent pipe buried in our concrete slab for our cooktop, so I can't really move the cooktop (or the island) very far without cutting into concrete to move the vent pipe. I guess that's always an option - but I'm trying to avoid additional expense...

And finally, I had always planned to paint our coordinating cabinets a color to complement the walnut - something other than white. I've just not found any color that I love with the walnut so think we may default to the white gloss cabinets and enjoy not having to custom paint any doors. Has anyone used a nice neutral color with walnut cabinets other than white? I like the white, I was just looking for something a little warmer, but still a clean look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Kitchen design

Comments (38)