SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Putting a vent hood in an older house

ideagirl2
10 years ago

Ok, currently in this apartment we're remodeling, there's a retro-style wall fan instead of a vent hood over the range. The wall fan "vents" into a chimney; the kitchen is on the top floor, or rather the top floor before the attic. The chimney is lined and it looks like it's divided into sections, like separate narrow chimneys within what looks like a wider chimney: one for the fireplace on the floor below, one for this fan to vent into.

I assume what you do in these cases is run the duct for the vent hood up the chimney? My concern is that the attic is tall and so is the chimney, so we're looking at probably bare minimum 15 feet straight up, maybe 20+, before the duct exits out the top of the chimney. Rerouting to just go out the roof is almost certainly not a realistic option because this is a 100-yr-old tile roof... I don't want to mess with it. But is that too long of a run for the hood to really work?

And who do you call to talk about this and install it? We perhaps foolishly are acting as our own GC's for this project. And I have no idea what kind of tradesperson installs ducts for vent hoods! Would it be an HVAC person? How do they access the roof? (House is very tall.) How do they access the chimney without walking all over the tiles? I don't even know where to begin with this! But a duct is needed, right? We shouldn't just vent the hood into the chimney itself, right?

Yours helplessly,
-ideagirl2

Comments (4)