SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Follow up to "What makes busy curtains work" thread

I finished the rainbow curtains for the small bedroom-turned- play/exercise/craft/homework room (about 10 x 10). They aren't perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the element of fun they add -- especially given the large expanse of medium brown Billy bookcases we added for storage.

Here are the curtains from my original post:

And here are in action (looking into the room from the doorway):

Closed, a closer shot:

Right now they look a little like highwaters LOL!

One change that's coming in the next several months is that I'm getting a desk my boys can share -- it's almost exactly the same footprint as the little tea table currently under the window (you can see a corner of it at the lower right of the pic).

I plan to paint it the same blue to match the walls (it needs paint, currently painted brown and chipping). It will fit right under the window, but still leave room for my exercise bike and ball. All their legos are stored under that table, so they will re-locate to the closet (not shown, it's on the wall to the right of the window).

The desk will come up close to the window trim, so I need to move their artwork. I'd like it to flank either side of the window but I have not been able to figure out how to manage it. Right now it's yarn hanging on Command hooks with clothespins to hold the pics :-D

Here are the Billy bookcases with DH's things on top:

And the door into the room:

I'd like to put a few more colored frames around the doorway, and maybe also over the frog. Below the frog pic are their hanging pockets where all the schoolwork/papers is stored.

Anyway, whether or not these curtains "work", I like the atmosphere in the room much better now, and my boys were both happy with the bright colors. My DH is happy I have finished a project ;-)

Edit -- anyone have ideas or suggestions on something (preferably simple DIY) that can hold child-interchangeable-friendly artwork? One idea I had was to just attach clothespins directly to the wall somehow, maybe with hot glue. Would that be really dumb? Or maybe I could use the Command hook adhesive squares...

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 15:06

Comments (10)