SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cork2win

Different styles in the same house?

cork2win
16 years ago

We're building a new house. It's not even dried in yet, so we have a way to go. But I had to decide on some light fixtures the other day so the electricians could place boxes, and that started the "design" phase of this house for me.

I've been looking at lighting and My God, there are so many to choose from. I'm overwhelmed. So I've basically been wandering around stores in a daze, just looking at stuff, because I have no idea how to decorate this house. A local store had a display of bathroom designs and one was an Asian theme. Bamboo floors and grasscloth wallpaper on one of the walls. I've seen grasscloth wallpaper at a friends house and fell in love with it there, and had the same reaction when I saw this bathroom. I just love the look.

I already have our vanities purchased and I know that the one vanity we have could very easily lend itself to an "Asian" themed bathroom. My problem is, probably none of the rest of our house is going to be anywhere near Asian. We're building in the woods... lots of stone on the house, probably somewhat rustic interior. But every time I see something modern (like some of the lighting I've been seeing, like George Kovacs' designs) or different, I just love it.

So, my question is, how many design types can I have in the same house before it looks just crazy? Obviously this bathroom wouldn't be visible to any other room, so would it be so bad if its design were completely different than the rest of the house? Will modern lights and furnishings look silly in a rustic, country house? How on earth do you choose a direction and go with it? I thought I found some sconces that I loved and figured that would be a good starting point, but when they showed up they weren't what I expected, so I have to return them.

Basically I'm just lost and would love to know how you start with a blank canvas. I can't choose flooring because I haven't chosen kitchen cabinets yet. A lot of my decisions on hinging on the cabinet guy and their quote and what they have to show me. I just feel stuck with no direction and it's very frustrating.

Sorry to ramble... where do you start?

Comments (7)