SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patr73

Same or different style ok?

8 years ago

Question, does a viewed side of a house need to have all the same style / type of window? It appears that might be the case and I don't want to break some golden rule. I have a basic colonial. All the existing windows today are double hung (except for the picture windows). We really like the look and specs of the Soft-Lite Elements Casement so we want to incorporate that throughout the first floor. We feel it will improve both the look and air flow as compared to what we have today. (Northern Illinois location so weather varies greatly) Also we are going full replacement, not inserts.

Bow window in front with picture window in middle and casements both sides. Then upstairs has 3 separate, single bedroom windows are visible. Those are likely to be all double hung. Then the back of the house... family room with a large 3 piece window (casement / picture / casement), kitchen small casement over sink, dinning room another casement. Again upstairs 3 separate, single bedroom windows are visible.

So the downstairs windows that open would be casements and the upstairs windows double hung. Is that violating all the rules? We would consider casements upstairs... but 1) one bedroom in SW corner gets hot and we might want to add window a/c and 2) heard people with small kids don't like 2nd floor casements due to possible safety issue (kid falling out). In my mind #1 is valid, #2 seems very unlikely.

Should we stay all DH, go to all casement, or is the mix in style /type acceptable?

Comments (5)