SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Does siding necessarily have to match on two different structures

zipdee
16 years ago

We have our main house which is wood clapboard siding and cedar shingles on the dormers. Out back we have a smaller house or I guess cottage that was originally an office for a textile factory here in town. It was sold by the factory at some point, the PO's here at the time bought it and had it moved here.

Right now it doesn't look like much, but it could be cute. It's about 900 - 1000 square feet maybe. Just one story, front-gabled roof, with a small cross gable coming off the back, also a little shed roof addition that was added once it was here it looks like. It also has a covered porch off the front of the house. Right now it has clapboard siding on the original part and some sort of vertical plank siding on the addition, no, it's not done very well. The siding on both parts really need to be re-done, there is a lot of rot in the clapboard and it's not even worth repainting until new siding is on.

Okay, right now the house is used for storage. Once the kitchen is done, we will be starting on the inside out there and doing a quick face lift on it. It has pine paneling on the walls which will be painted for a cottage look and we'll putting in a inexpensive, durable floor ( maybe VCT ). A good part of it will be used as a children's game room - clubhouse and we will be putting in a bathroom back there too. A locked part will still be kept for storage. Our house is the neighborhood hang out for all the kids, so this gives them a large place to congregate, play and we can still keep an eye on them. On average we have 10 - 15 kids over here playing, most of the time more.

What I'm wondering is, since the little house/cottage looks nothing like our big house would it be okay to go different with the siding? I'd still paint it the same color as the big house, which we just painted SW Compatible Cream. It has the same color and type of roof and even shakes on the front porch. I was thinking of going with board and batten siding and play up the cottage look to give it more character, rather than kind of a plain looking little house. Would this look off? You can see the house from the road. The front of the house actually faces the road, has a drive way on the side and it even has it's own street address.

Comments (6)