SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Does this color scheme make sense? Two-tone cabs.

northcarolina
12 years ago

So this is what I am thinking for when we redo the kitchen. It's early days to choose finishes, but I want to figure out what my door/drawer front source is going to be for my budget projection. Could you all have a look and tell me if this is a reasonable way to go or if it looks odd?

The house -- modest, built in the late '40's, and I want to return the kitchen to a vintage-y feel. We are *ahem* frugal and we are on a budget, so appliances are staying. Remodeled kitchens in our neighborhood tend to be custom/granite/stainless, if it matters. I would like to keep some of our existing uppers, replace the lowers with drawer units, then get new doors all round to match. IKEA will probably be the source for the lowers. I am willing to paint or finish the doors myself. DH strongly favors white cabinetry, and the woodwork throughout the house is white. However, we have children and dogs, so I am a little concerned about white paint on the lowers if it's a DIY job (I need to stick with low-odor, low-VOC paint).

So. Is it silly to think of two-tone cabs like this in a small "vintage" kitchen? Is black on the lowers too modern for what I want? I can paint them a different color, or stick with white to match the uppers, but using IKEA stock fronts down below would save me an awful lot of work. So I've mocked it up thus: natural red oak floor, Ramsjo black-brown lowers, butcherblock, white beadboard painted to match white uppers (Ramsjo for the pic, but it's too tan/pink in real life). Some sort of vintage-y looking lights and hardware. Might do a tile backsplash instead depending on costs by that point. Oh, and we (OK, I) tend to be cluttery, so quiet neutral background materials are best. But I do have a little urge to paint the lowers barn red. (don't tell DH, he'd have a cow) The rest of the house is done in warm tones with yellow/cream walls, and the kitchen walls are also likely to be yellowish.

{{gwi:1993358}}

For reference, here is the kitchen as it is now. The kitchen part of the room is about 11x14. I like white cabs but I think this all-laminate kitchen needs some serious warming up, since I have to change some other things anyway. I can't decide if two-tone cabinetry would look idiotic in here.

Thanks for reading through all this --

Comments (27)