SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

Thermapen Anyone? Turkey Day Coming up

gr8daygw
9 years ago

Please forgive me, I know this is off topic but you all have such wonderful advice and I need your help. I am in charge of making the entire TG dinner this year because my mother who has done it for all the years of my life before has finally reached the point she can't do it anymore. She always enjoyed doing it and having us all travel from around the country to be at her house each and every year. I would love to have it at my home but that would mean an entire brigade of people would have to travel several states to even get here! So, I am traveling up there to jump in with both feet having never done it before. Of course in years past, I helped my mother prepare and did tasks for her while she was commandeering the command posts of oven and stove but doing the whole thing from start to finish this will be my first foray. I cook most every night at home so I'm no stranger to the kitchen, but baking a turkey, I'm scared!!!

I noticed on a cooking site "Serious Eats" that it's recommended to spatch cock the turkey if you want the best crispy skin and for the meat to remain moist all over. I watched the video and nearly passed out from watching him cut the back out of the turkey and then press down on the poor dear cracking it's little bones to make it flat. But then he mentions getting this wonderful tool a Thermapen to regularly check the temperature of the white meat in the breast and the leg meat because they are to be cooked to two different temperatures, the breast to 145 and the legs to 165. I guess the amazing thing about this Thermapen is that it takes the temperature in about 3 seconds and is super easy to use and that's why it's "all that".

Ok, so I go and check out how to obtain a Thermapen and it's $98 @#*%$ dollars!!! The last time I used a cooking thermometer it broke on the first insertion and I have never been able to master the thing... especially when making holiday candy treats. So I digress, can anyone recommend a meat/cooking thermometer that is affordable or know of a great sale?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermapen

This post was edited by gr8day on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 18:52

Comments (34)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor