SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Looking for opinions on art placement

Sueb20
13 years ago

First let me say that I didn't "stage" these photos so you're seeing our usual daily clutter, which I hope you will ignore. :)

We bought 2 new paintings a couple of weeks ago. The first is in our family room which is open to the kitchen. I placed a console table under the painting and I'm happy with both the painting and the table, but I'm trying to play around with the placement of the table so we can have a lamp on the table. So, in this picture, the painting is centered on the wall, but the console is over to the left so a lamp can be placed there. The lamp that is there is just one that we had hanging around, not necessarily the "final" lamp. Do you think it's too odd to have the table NOT centered under the painting? And if you don't think it's too odd, what else would you put on the top of the console? That's just a pumpkin sitting there, which obviously isn't permanent. I had in mind a somewhat rustic, painted (maybe gold, or green) wooden box, but can't seem to find anything like that.

The other painting is in the living room. It has taken us years to buy a painting for over the sofa and we found something we both love. Because our room is so long and narrow, it's hard to get a pic that shows this whole wall, but this is close. Just a couple of inches from the end of the wood chair on the right is an open doorway to the foyer, and then the room ends. So my question is whether we need anything else on this wall? The wall opposite this wall is busy, with another doorway, the fireplace w/ art and sconce lights over it, and the TV on a stand, etc... so I'm not sure if I feel that this sofa wall is relatively naked and makes the room feel unbalanced, or if its relative nakedidity (new word) is a good thing, like a "rest" from the busier wall. Does that make sense?

Sorry about the lighting, very dark and dreary day.

If it matters -- we have a new sofa on the way that is a few inches shorter than this one.

Comments (37)