SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uncled_gw

Should I keep the floor?

uncled
11 years ago

So, I am in escrow on a new house. The kitchen is not horrible (well the cabinets and floor are not horrible, the counters are another issue) but I've decided to go ahead and update it now. I've already met with a kitchen designer, picked out a cabinet brand (Omega) and style.

The remaining question in my mind is what to do about the floors. Every kitchen designer I've spoken too is confident that the old floors can be retained. The existing cabinets are a standard size and I am not planning to change the layout much.

I'm not sure, however, how these terracotta tiles will age or whether they will look good in a modern kitchen. As an example, I really have no idea what kind of backsplash would go with the reddish tile. So, I'm tempted to demo the floor and put in hardwood.

Just to be clear, money is not an issue here. It is easily within my budget to redo the floor. The main reason I am considering keeping the terracotta floor has more to do with hassle. In my experience, when you demo a tile floor, you never really do know what you are going to find underneath. Also, in this case, the kitchen opens into another room that has the same kind of tile. So, I would wind up doing a wider reno on the floor.

Thoughts?

Comments (19)