SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Backsplash to pair with Volga Blue granite?

mrspete
11 years ago

We have a looong way to go, so this is a pathetically small question . . . but what kind of backsplash would you choose under these circumstances?

- Small kitchen with small island

- Medium-dark cabinets

- Black appliances

- Fairly small backsplash area: 15 linear ft x 18" high, interrupted by window

- Plenty of natural light, which will make the blue flecks shine: Good-sized window above sink + bank of windows in adjacent eating area

- With my taste in other items leaning towards dark, I'm thinking that I want some glass-front cabinets to "lighten things up".

The above are fairly well set in stone -- fairly well being a vague, uncertain word meaning that I may well change my mind.

I've been kicking around the idea of white recycled glass countertops (I do adore the sparkle), but today I saw my friend's new Volga blue granite countertops, and they are gorgeous! Really, I'm not ga-ga over countertops, but these were incredible. Black at first glance, but they contain flecks of beautiful cobalt blue. I have no doubt that these are the most beautiful countertops I've ever seen.

I've been googling pictures of them, and they look great with dark cabinets . . . but what kind of backsplash? My thoughts:

- Okay, I have no serious thoughts. I'm not even sure whether I like the idea of dark or light overall.

- Although I love the look of glass tile, I am concerned about whether it'll look dated in 5-10 years. I'd like to avoid things along the lines of stacked glass tiles, fearing that they're a flash in the pan. I'd like something that's relatively classic.

- I do not like too modern or too stark; for example, stainless steel tiles are out.

- I do like white or off-white arabesque tiles, but I kind of think that'd "compete" with the countertop.

- I fear that plain subway tile isn't "enough" with such a great granite.

- I think I like the idea of something very basic with a small accent tile of color every so often . . . I could see perhaps a dark blue glass tile as an accent.

Your thoughts?

Also, with so much "dark" in the room, should I keep the floor light?

And I'm thinking of some blue pendants above the sink and island.

I still love those white recycled glass countertops . . . they might have to move to the bathroom.

Comments (14)