SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

Help-Is this a poor laminate countertop installation?

Skyangel23
9 years ago

I still have a few unresolved issues with my builder's cabinet installation (unnecessarily wide fillers with no overlays, for starters), but they went ahead and installed the countertops today.

I see several issues that seem like they might be a problem, but I want to know if they are really poor installation problems that I need to take up with the builder and insist on a fix for or something I need to just live with. I asked to see a drawing of the templating, was told that it would be sent to me, and I even sent three reminder emails. Never saw the template or approved how the countertop would look before fabrication.

The problems I see are 1) uneven countertop overhang in at least one place, 2) overhangs that barely cover the full overlay drawer front with not enough overhang to protect the cabinets, 3) too much space between the countertop and the wall that a bead of caulk will not be able to cover (we are not doing the laminate built-in backsplash, but a tile backsplash that might take a while for us to get around too),
4) clipped corner edges that are not lined up over the drawer corners and look bad.

Here is the clipped edge that doesn't properly cover the corner:

Here is the uneven front. Hard to tell from the pic, but it is visible to the naked eye:

another view:

how little the overhang is:

another view:

countertop corner doesn't line up with cabinet corner at all AND hangs over 4" for no reason.

another view:

here is the master bath, where it appears the countertop is just too long, overhanging at that end almost 3", with the clipped corner edge completely past the countertop corner:

again:

space between countertop and wall:

another one:

I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you.

This post was edited by Skyangel23 on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 11:43

Comments (47)