SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fav_auntx2

Questions about marble install, tell me if I'm missing anything!

fav.auntx2
10 years ago

It's getting to be countertop time!!! I met with the fabricator today. He's coming onsite tomorrow to look at the cabinets and go from there. I have a few questions, please!

1. Should the plywood stay in place with the marble installed on top of it?

He said he prefers the plywood to come up because if there is any moisture in the wood it would rise through the marble and stain. Also, the slab looked to be 2cm. I didn't measure or think to ask while I was there.

2. His stone source will simply send him a slab and then I will look at it and decide if it's the one I want. Has anyone went through this same process?

There was a remnant onsite of Bianco Carrara that I did like. Unfortunately, I have not looked much at marble to get a thorough 100% idea of what I want, but this remnant seemed to fit my vision. Should I go with my gut instinct that the Bianco Carrara I saw is actually what I want and keep my life easy? Or should I go in search of the ever elusive perfect slab? To be honest, this remnant type is what I am drawn to in pictures and during the brief search sessions I have conducted.

3. I want a stacked edge (mitered, double laminated or whatever you call it). I did not see any examples of his edging work. Is this a red flag? Or should I simply have a written agreement that if the work is subpar to my standards it will be redone at no cost to me.

This is a small shop in my hometown, with the nearest granite yard being almost 2 hours away. This man came with great recommendations. Is there anything I need to be looking for or something I'm overlooking? I intend to have a list to go over in the morning with him and would like to have all my ducks in a row.

TIA!

Comments (5)