SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridadawglover

I'm blind- have question about self-watering container gardening

floridadawglover
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the posts about self-watering containers on this forum with great interest. I am a physically active blind woman and I'd like to start a vegetable and herb garden this year. I have a screen reader that reads text on my computer, but pictures and diagrams are totally inaccesible to me. Thus, I very much appreciate any and all answers to my questions below.

I live in SW FL (near Tampa) and the only area I can put the containers are along the south side of my stucco condo-- thus they will be exposed to full sun with no shade. Am I correct to assume that given this location and my visual impairment that my best bet are the self-watering containers? If so, which brand do you recommend regarding durability, practicality, best results, etc)? Just as important, which brand has a water reservoir that is least likely to be accessible to mosquitoes, or is this a problem with all self-watering units? The ones I have read about include the earthbox, growbox, and gardener's supply sw containers-- are there others I should look into?

Being a new gardener and all, I'm going to start small, and hopefully add more boexes as I go. Given where I live (hot and humid) and where I will have the containers (next to the south side of the condo) which begetables do you recommend I try growing? Which ones would you definitely advoid. I am thinking cherry or grape tomatoes, banana or green peppers, cukes, arugula, and maybe green or yellow string beans?

Any and all suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Linda

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH