SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

I'm missing something very basic about watering containers

jardinerowa
13 years ago

Hello all,

I'm at a loss. I live in Mexicali which is 9b/10 desert heat and moved here in June and have just pure containers. Everything obviously is not established since I planted everything just recently.

I think I was actually watering too much. I had a banana in in a container with soil (too heavy I think) and it had leaves and so I watered it frequently and it did fine. It got moved inadvertently to full sun and lost all it's leaves. Now I feel like it's gonna rot as it's not growing and there's no leaves. Now I realize it probably doesn't need near as much water as it did as there's no leaves for evapotranspiration.

I have a hibiscus and it's growing, I'm waiting a bit to water but then a couple bottom leaves yellow and I think I'm waiting too long.

I have seedlings and I don't know if I can rot them too. I realize if I wait too long to water, I kill the seedlings, but I don't want them to rot either.

I have a moisture gauge but I've read that they don't work well and the I don't trust the finger test. I have no idea what to do. I feel I'm missing a basic tenant in watering or gardening in general.

I'm sure it would be much easier if it weren't so hot and if I could plants in the ground. But I know people have success even in the heat so please help!!

BTW, next time, I'm going to use much lighter soils for the banana and the hibiscus.

I just wish I felt more confident about knowing when to water and when to hold off!

Z

Comments (5)