SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tryska

Newbie! 2-Tiered Self-Watering Container questions

tryska
17 years ago

Hi Y'all - i'm brand new to this forum and brand new to container gardening. Something bit me, and I've felt the need to raise a vegetable patch on my porch ever since. So far I've got one Husky Cherry tomato, a Black Pearl Ornamental Pepper, and and herb pot. The Tomato and Pepper are growing in styrofoam coolers (they were cheap, and convenient to poke holes in) The tom is also sprouting basil and some catnip seeds. The Pepper is planted with cilantro and some bunching onion seeds that haven't sprouted yet. The herb pot has more catnip, thyme, and lemon balm.

The herbs and peppers are going gangbusters, but the tomato is having some issues. I think the main reason is not enough sunlight. I've got to plot my porch over the weekend, and figure out where the sun is. I'm east-facing, so I can get decent sun until I think about 12, but it's a fully covered porch, so that means there's only slivers of sun that i can take advantage of.

either way - I've got big plans for next year - ideally i'd like to have a year-round edible garden.

What do y'all think about this
2-tiered planter
?

it appears to be 2 or 3 of their 3-foot wide troughs stuck together. The reasons i'm interested in it is as follows:

1. I should have ample room to succession plant over the year. I envision:

~ toms, cukes and eggplant along the top, and maybe a strawberry patch on the bottom, during the hot months

~chard, salad mix , beets, carrot and radish on top, onions and garlic on the bottom during the cooler months

~ beans and peas in the spring.

2. With the increased height - i can get better sun, since my porchrails won't be in the way, plus it will look pretty to have some of the cascading type plants tumbling over the edges.

3. It's on casters so i can move it around as i wish and the self-watering feature (i plan on watering the old fashioned way) kind of provides me with built in drip trays.

Even still these are pretty expensive, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on these.

Comment (1)