SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_2006

soil for tomatoes in self watering containers

patty_2006
15 years ago

Well, I've been reading so much on self watering containers and have decided to do my first garden. Just finished the 18 gallon - pond basket version container (well thanks to my wonderful hubby!) My tomatoes are ready to be transplanted & I have to say I am nervously excited. I have read & learned so much from Al about soil composition, so I went shopping today to the local garden store with Al's big batch on my recipe card, and just when I thought I knew it all, I confused the garden guy & myself. I didn't realize there was a difference b/t a 5 gallon planter & a 5 gallon say paint container? is there? My garden helper was confused with the measurement of gallons as oppossed to parts of perlite and peat & I was unsure how to answer him. So I come home with $75 worth of supplies and my husband comments on how expensive this tomato / vegetable project is becoming. At least we're all laughing! Well, my question is what is the best mixture for my tomatoes? How should I measure it all? I brought osmocote for the crf. Do I mix it in with the soil? Thank you all so much.

Comments (7)