SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

I'm so fed up. Marble install. Help!

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

Okay, maybe it is just the cumulative effect of a reno that, surprise, surprise, has taken more than twice as long and cost more than twice as much. Gee, I never saw that coming. Maybe I'm having a bad day. Maybe I'm just tired of feeling that every contractor and sub in the tri state area has a hand in my pocket.

So I got the quote today for marble fabrication and installation. It is $2,761. That is in dollars. U.S. ones.

Is it me? Or is that ridiculous? This is for one slab of marble (see below). My fabricate/install job has no seams. No holes. And eased edges !!! How can it be that much?!?

My slab cost $7750. Overpriced I know, but it's this type called Dolomya and you can only see the beauty in person ... it has a waviness to it like it is old. I have made peace with overpaying for the slab. I still love it.

But here's the thing. When I get a quote, I try to make some sense of it. From the reactions I get, it appears most customers just pay, no questions asked. But I try to make some sense of it.

(Like when I asked the AV guy about why he was charging $3000 for a TV that is all over the internet for $2000. I really did ask nicely, and I sincerely assumed that at least some of it was due to the internet come-ons not including some valauble cable or bracket or whatever. But I asked because his quote also included charges for those items, and labor, so I just wanted to understand. The AV guy told my GC he was no longer interested in the job - that was his response! BUt I digress and I am ranting now!)

So my first reaction to this marble fabrication quote is wow ... that seems like a lot. I am paying 36% (2761/7750)of the cost of the slab .....for them to cut it up?

Then I think, wait, it's worse than that. What if i had chosen something far cheaper? It would be no easier or harder to cut? Surely there are stone slabs that cost, say $3000? So if i had chosen that slab, id be paying almost as much to cut the slab as to BUY the slab?

Sometimes I feel like the whole world is a bunch of ripoff artists.

Please talk me off the ledge.

{{gwi:1741591}}

Comments (47)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh btw, I know that my mark up of the slab is only approximate because I did not have a head on photo. They are supposed to use it as a guide, draw it up with blue tape then send a photo.

• laxfanmom
    13 years ago

Wow, that does seem like a lot! We just got the bill for our granite today and maybe you need to take a ride down to NJ because the price, I thought, was great. Our kitchen reno has approximate 125 square feet of granite cut into 9 pieces (four with sinks) all with double ogee edges. All but one of the pieces (the bathroom vanity) are Netuno Bordeaux, which I picked out (little bit higher end), and we needed 3 slabs that measured 128" x 76" each. My island is 149" long and has a seam, which he matched bookend style. The island is also curved on each end. Anyway, I guess I'm going on a bit, but I'm entirely thrilled with the final bill which included the cost of all the granite and a small piece of marble for the bathroom, PLUS all the fabrication and installation for $11000 and change (DH was here when granite guy was here and took the bill with him - I think he was whistlin' a happy tune as he left) .

• Related Discussions

I'm a bit fed up with ______ right now

Q

Comments (41)
    Lefleur1 and prairiemoon--My sure fire earwig bait. I have never set this out in the evening without having some earwigs in the container in the morning. Note--baby earwigs are grey and turn red as they age so don't think it is another bug. Baby earwigs are ravenous when they hatch and can strip a plant down to the stem in 1 night Bait for Earwigs. Equal parts of full salt soy sauce, cooking oil and (molasses or corn syrup). The molasses or syrup is bait to attract them--the oil doesn't allow them to crawl back out and the salt in the soy sauce finishes them off and makes the mixture dark so they think it is just a hole. Put it in a small container��" I use those small scoops from laundry soap and place a stone on top but you can use any small container even the bottom of a soda or water bottle and anything for a lid. Cover 1/2 inch of the bottom of the container with the mixture and bury it up to the brim in the soil where you have a problem with them. Prop a lid over it so it doesn't get diluted by rain and so it is a nice dark place for them to hide for the day--ha. When you prop the lid, leave a small space for them to crawl into the container. You might have to wait a couple of days for it to work, but the first time I tried it I used a baby food bottle and it was full to the brim with little grey baby earwigs the next morning. I was surprised at just how many I did get. Try it. It really works
    ...See More

I'm Fed UP!!!! Digging up ALL my brugs!!!!

Q

Comments (29)
    Lol, poor Daniella. Ask him if he will do my laundry too. I throw it all in together and everything looks like crap, lol. I was telling John about this and he said ohhh good idea about the pots and the roots now that winter is coming he is wanting to bring in more of them so he is liking the idea of burying the pots in the ground then lifting the pots for the winter. He forgets before we did all these flower beds and I told him about this he told me I was crazy and why would I want to dig a hole and buy a pot. Just put the dang things in the ground and leave them there he said, lol. How soon he forgets now that he is getting excited that they are going to start blooming, lol. I bet we have sunken pots next year, lol. The one I had last year bloomed in the garage nearly all winter long. I think he is remembering that and realizing all those in the ground are going to have to be cut down and he will miss them blooming. Who wants to make a bet he digs up some of his to bring in the house instead of cutting them, lol.
    ...See More

I'm fed up with Craigstlist no-shows!

Q

Comments (13)
    Maybe it comes from twenty something years of buying beds and sofas and bookcases and swingsets and etc., through the classified ads in the newspaper, but I'm not waiting for anybody without a phone (or at least text) conversation. I don't like CL ads where they require anything of me except cash. That makes sense. I prefer CL ads where there is an email option and a phone option. If I just want measurements or do you still have it or what kind of wood.......then, I use email to ask my question. If it's an ad for the EXACT PERFECT SMALL TABLE I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR FOR 4 MONTHS I'm going to make the phone call to say "Can I come see right now??" I email the seller and ask for more info, more photos or just where they live. If interested in seeing, I email (or call) and tell them I want to come see. Can they send their ph # to make arrangements or I send them mine and ask them to call me so I can make arrangements. I am NEVER going to get in my car to go see your stuff unless I have phone confirmation that you are expecting me. Same with buyers. They can email me till the cows come home and I will answer questions, measure height, etc., but if you email that you would like to come look at the dining set in person, then, I will send you my phone # and tell you to call me to set up an appointment to see. If you don't call, we don't deal. Simple. May I just say that in many craigslist transactions, I have only had one person not show up to see something when they said they were coming? And the lady had also said she would call me the next morning before she came over, so to tell you the truth, when there was no call that day, I had NO expectation. If I send you an email and ask: Do you still have the chair? or... How tall is the cabinet? or... What condition is the table in? I may very well not send another email after you respond if I don't now want to see your item. The only time I feel compelled to stay in touch is when Definite Plans have been made between us to view the merchandise. Red
    ...See More

I'm not giving up Toro 3650 please help

Q

Comments (1)
    sorry guys put trying to post on garden Web on my phone and I don't know how this post ended up here
    ...See More
  • stacieann63
    13 years ago

Geez, you have some nerve asking the AV guy where YOUR hard earned money is going!
    The marble is beautiful. No surprise, what I've seen of your kitchen so far, it's exquisite.
    So the cost of the marble did not include the fabrication or installation? It does seem costly. Are you using the same Co. that you purchased the stone from? Are you calling around to other fabricators or do you not trust anyone else? You would think it would be pretty competitive in your area.
    So sorry you are going through this aggravation. I know it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. That's when I pour myself a shot of Wild Turkey American Honey!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Gee, girlfriend, my initial impression is that you're getting slammed! $2k just to do simple cutting for 4 ctops (with eased edges and no seaming) and a pastry board? That price on top of a slab that already costs $7k? I dunno. Sounds pretty excessive to me! Or, maybe I'm just not familiar with this segment of the market. But, I would still ask: How did you end up choosing this fabricator/installer? Did they come highly recommended? Did you do a lot of comparison shopping? I hate to say it, but it just "feels" to me like you may be a victim of some really unfair pricing based on your house location, choice of marble, etc. You know the kind of discrimintory pricing scheme I'm getting at-- vendor does a quick size up of the consumer, assesses what s/he can and/or will bear and then goes in the for the kill. I sure hope that's not the case here. But, if I were you, I would least try to get a few comp quotes just for my own peace of mind.

(((HUGS)))

• nini804
    13 years ago

My marble is only carrara, so much less than your slab, but the quote for my perimeter, butler's pantry, 52" by 96" inch island, and master bath double vanity (with ogee edges on the island, butler's, and master vanity) was around $5000 (I can get the exact number if you want, as well as the labor break down...I just don't have my calculator near me!) That price includes the labor!! In fact, I think the basic cutting labor is included in the price for the slab...they only showed an amount for the areas that have ogee edges, or had to be prepped for the sink. We are in the South, so maybe things are just really cheap down here, but it sounds like you are getting absolutely robbed to me.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

You're rich.

They know it.

You're screwed.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Can you get another quote?

• Fori
    13 years ago

Maybe they're worried they'll bust it and responsible and you get to cover their insurance fees for everyone?

Look elsewhere, if you can. That's silly.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Yes, the zip code markup. I know your area is more expensive, but that's really high. More than $150 per cut. That's equivalent to the upcharge I paid for an apron sink cutout which makes sense while your straight cuts don't need that kind of attention. It might be that they are concerned about the uniqueness of the slab and what happens if they mess it up. Definitely tell them that's more than you expected and you need to get additional quotes before they do the work.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

It doesn't seem excessively high. My first estimate was more for Calacatta and I have a very small kitchen. There is transportation and handling. You want custom work, not the usual things.

• User
    13 years ago

Marcolo is right....if you have it they expect you to spend it...big time. My slab was out in a field in Beauregard AL and I gave the guy $50 for it. It was another $50 to have it sanded and installed. The edge is the original that was on the bldg. from which it was salvaged. It is this marble : " Alabama White Marble was used in the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the U.S. Supreme Court and the bust of Lincoln " , I am a happy gal. Also ALL marble is old.

I am sorry you are having these pricing problems but I am sure they are not the first in this remodel nor will they be the last. GC's and subs can smell money. c

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I do know with granite the fabrication is the most expensive part. I see an island that needs all 4 sides finished as well as a pastry board. ( lot of linear feet to finish) Sorry it came as a bad surprise but what little I have seen in your pictures it will be worth every penny. The sneak peek of your kit is gorgeous.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

I agree that contractors price according to the neighborhood they're serving but I don't think that quote is all that high. They have to transport the stone, cut 5 separate pieces and finish 20 edges then transport all those pieces carefully to your home and install them. It's heavy and fragile and they are responsible if anything goes wrong. We just got a quote of $5500 to ship an antique bookcase from England to the east coast. So, in that context, your fabrication/installation price sounds just about right.

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

I have the zip code bias, people think I am wealthy which is all relative... but my remodel was not voluntary (due to fire) so funds were limited. I believe in paying a living wage to professionals. That being said, I had so many hungry fabricators pounding on my door - paid $70 per sq foot for Soapstone installed $60 for carerra marble installed. Had quotes for much more. Happy with install of both.

Can you look around at other installers? I know you are burnt out. I can hear it in your words. Hang in there.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I wonder if there is something factored into the cutting that is based upon the cost of the slab. There is a lot more riding on the cuts to this slab that costs $7000 than there is to a piece of $1000 granite.

I don't know exactly where you are located but in the scheme of things I am not sure its way out of line.Pricey, yes, but gouging...no.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Laxfan - Thanks for the info, but you had a lot more stone than I am using in my kitchen, and your number wraps up material fab and inst altogether, so hard to say. Oh and I bought the slab in Short Hills and im pretty sure the fabricator is also NJ based because our GC is (we knew them from our old house, thought they'd never worked for us).

Stacie - our GC is behind all of this. I selected the slab for a price. She sent someone over to template, i didnt ask why that person or where they are from.

Martha - gosh if you think its high, and you are in NYC, then that is a good reality check. When folks in the midwest think its high, i wonder if its a good comparison since everything is so crazy in our area of the country.

Nini - i know the marble was more than most, but its the labor I am trying to gauge. I cant tell if its high or fair.

Marcolo - I know a lot of people in high-end jobs don't scrutinize costs, or are even embarassed to do so. Not me. I think it's only responsible to shepherd one's funds carefully, whatever the amount.

Michelle, Fori -
    I might try to. If I didnt feel so beleagured. Plus, there are some on here that say it is not highway robbery. So maybe I am wrong?

Steff - I did say it was excessive. They said it was a lot of cuts/edges. I was trying to use up the slab. Heck, for 7750 a slab, I was going to make chopstick holders out of the remnants if i had to!

Rococo -- custom work? I guess all marble fabrication is custom. But could this be simpler? Eased edge, no holes or sinks, no seams? And only two pieces are cabinets, where templating is tricky. The rest are just slabs sitting on a base. (whining)

Trailrunner - Wow, the Lincoln Memorial. How fabulous. I am so jealous, Yes of course all marble is old. This marble looks, I guess the word is "used". Like it might have been in Grandma's house, if my Grandma didnt have formica . As far as sub "smelling money".... I am constantly fighting this bias and questioning their quotes. Part of it is they really don't think along the lines of how to be more economical; although we told them we wanted a GC who did good work for a good value. But they always choose the priciest route. I'm the one tracking down floor tile for $5 square foot.

Eanhdl - thanks that is very helpful. I did not know that fabrication can be more than material. I tried googling it, and I got one weird site that said that install for 50sq ft in my zip code should be $400 (odd, not a word about fabrication). Then I saw a site in Seattle that gave a granite example where install was in fact more than material.

Cheri - thanks. The price is not the end of the world. It's the constant feeling of bring ripped off. Our marble is travelling 90 minutes, and not going through customs! But it is helpful to hear from people who think it's not unreasonable.

10K - I thought we'd have hungry contractors. No one on our job seems hungry. They are all busy! I do have to say they do beautiful work.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Palimpsest, I appreciate your input. We're in Fairfield County, CT. I don't think the fabricator even knew the cost of the slab. When I spoke to him he didn't even know what marble i was using.

"Not being gouged" will have to count as a success in this process!

Now, did I tell you the one about $7000 to install doorknobs.....

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I agree that is high, but when I did my kitchen, fabrication and installation was running $30-$40 sq ft for typical stones ($7 sq ft and up) done by the better shops. Cutouts, an edge treatment, honing or other details might add to the total, and I agree that a stone that ran maybe 6 times, give or take, what mine did would command a premium for the best handling and the risk that something could happen and require replacement. I think I agree with pricey but not gouging.

If you buy a Rolls Royce, are you going to take it to a go-cart builder for service?

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Try to stop fighting them and looking for ways everyone is trying to screw you. You look like the enemy to them too that way and they will be defensive, look for ways you can screw them or make life difficult and likely charge you more for having to put up with you.

Relax and try to work with them instead of against them. You are entrusting them with a gorgeous slab of marble and want them to treat it like your baby. Make them want to baby it for you and when it is in and you love it and wouldn't have it any other way, a little more spent or saved to make it all happen won't matter nearly as much as being happy with it.

Hang in there.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Honest engine, I am nice to them. I understand they are in a position of power, too. I vent to my husband! And here!

But I take your point. Deep breaths ....

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Part of the problem is you are going through your gc to hire a fabricator. Your gc is taking a cut and the fabricator is making their profit. Our gc did not get involved in our countertop purchase or installation. I would not think you need a go between in that area of the reno. I wonder if it is common practice, because it sounds odd to me, but then again, our case may be the odd one.

I have noticed that I am paying way more to the electrician than if we hired one to do the things we need done. I am not sure if this electrician is just pricey or the gc's cut is excessive. I do know we stopped asking for anything extra and will use our own electrician for optional things after the reno is done. I don't mind paying a fair amount, but the gc figured their profit in the initial bid. If we get a quad outlet instead of a duplex, I hate paying extra to the gc for it. In fact, it is one stinking outlet unit and the only real upcharge should be the materials one (sry, but the change order costs are steaming me lately).
    Sorry also for the digression, but I am tired of gushing money. We are in a bit of a zip code thing too. I think they assume that since we are in a nice neighborhood and some of our neighbors put into their kitchens what we put into our entire reno, that we will pay whatever they say. I use the word budget when they ask about the weather/sports/tv, etc... these days because I have no shame left. It went when our bank account dropped down to dry (and that is before finishing the project).
    Just because you have money does not mean you choose to throw it all at fabricators. I'd ask how many days they plan to work on your slab. For that "labor" charge, I'd expect them to slave away for commensurate man hours to make up the $2,700. I'd tell your gc that you are not happy with that quote and that you plan on shopping around (if you are able to contractually). That may bring about some phone calls and some sharpening of their pencils before you get a revised estimate from them.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Of course they're trying to screw you. They're contractors.

One thing I learned, the hard way: avoid people who work for rich people. You are absolutely right that many high-end jobs are for people who are dumber than oxen about their money and never know what they spend. That's why you have this little subgroup of trades who specialize in serving them--and charge up to twice what other equally good contractors charge. It's all about getting into the right circle and making a reputation in a tiny world.

That's why I generally like to hire people who speak poor English. The rich don't like them around as much, around here anyways.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I had an electrician come by to quote some work. I wasn't home, he met with SWMBO. When I spoke to him by phone the next day, he told how much he liked my car, then sent me a $3900 bid.

The next electrician, I parked the 911 around the corner and met him myself. He sent me a bid for $1600.

Woman + appearance of money = $2300.

• celineike
    13 years ago

innersting.... our slabs are $3000 and the fab n inst'l is $4000
    HA!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Your gc is taking a cut

The GC's gotta pay for that rental somehow! (I'd put in a winky, but I'm not joking.)

• marthavila
    13 years ago

I am in enthusiastic agreement with Dianalo's post! Yes, perhaps I'm wincing at the fabrication costs because they do seem high to me -- even in the NYC metro area where labor costs are ridiculously high. They also seem high to me because I tend to do a lot of quote comparisons and negotiate hard for the best deal whenever I can. Mind you -- lowest cost is not an indicator of best deal; in fact, the lowest bidder is usually one to avoid. But, in my mind, it pays to know what the market average is for a particular job and to go from there. Lastly, in my own reno, I did a lot of my own contracting directly, leaving only small portion of the job to the GC and his own subs. Of course, I was only dealing with a kitchen and you are dealing with a much bigger reno. And, as far as my ctops are concerned, I was dealing with soapstone and not premium marble. Still, the point Dianalo makes is a good one-- you might very well be dealing with double upcharges here, between both the GC and fabricator. With that arrangement, higher costs are built into the deal from the start.

I also think that Lascatx makes a good point -- don't lead with the expectation that everyone is out to screw you. (I'm one who believes that we tend to attract that which we focus upon, good or bad). But don't put your head in the sand either. In most cases, and especially in this economy, everyone is looking out for #1 -- themselves. Why should it be any different for you? I hope you can find a happy balance between trust and reason as you near the final stages of this massive reno. From all appearances so far, your house is going to be one of truly exceptional beauty. So, yes. Hang in there!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again, everyone.

Yes, of course my GC is taking a cut, and they deserve one. And I can't really selectively take things from their purview. This is a very big project. We added over 2000 sq ft. Where we didnt add, we took things down to the studs in half of the rooms. We did a kitchen and six baths, etc etc. I couldnt do it without them.

And yes, we always use air quotes when we say our GC has been "paying: our rent for 7 months!

I think Martha sums it up. Balance. Like most things in life, finding the balance is the tough part. So, i do look at the quotes and try to make sense of them. In this case I have heard from enough people that this is not outrageous. So, I am going to accept it and move on.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

John,

What concerns me is when the GC is driving the 911!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

There's an arc in every relationship with a GC, I have learned. At first everything is lovely. Then mid-job it starts to get tense. It's not moving fast enough, little things that are important to you are not responded to. About three-quarters through it escalates because they start to look at their bottom line and sometimes they are short or their profit isn't enough and they get/take another job and your slows down. And then there's the end which is unpredictable -- some actually finish, some never quite finish etc.

People can rave on here about what they're doing to you (though no one actually has any factual knowledge), about how they're crooks blah, blah, blah. But it's just blah blah because hey: this is the guy who knows where every plumbing line in your house is routed, all the quirks of the electrical and how to fix a leak -- because he knows how he built it out. Two years after the job, you need him.

You need him to do efficient repairs so you don't have to pay for a learning curve with someone new -- who's walking into your house and charging you more because of the size.

The way you're working, which is with a lot of changes, there are lots of changes orders. Changing the material of a counter, or switching tile, or delaying a decision of what you want costs you if it's spec'd differently -- because his cost for the job is based on something else.

Surely by now that's clear. You can put any label on it you wish, but this is the way it works. The nasty kicker is that costs for materials and fuels are rising in this economy so the longer the job goes on the more expensive things get. I literally could not afford the kitchen faucet I bought in 04 -- it's tripled in price.

The second reno, I drew plans and nothing changed -- except the marble, a switch that saved me a substantial amount. He kept suggesting, I kept saying no. By the end, he could see I wasn't budging and left things to the project manager. We worked on the basis of a cost plus his percentage on top -- I supplied all the fixtures at my designer's cost so there was no straight retail. Some will work that way, some won't.

But a year later, when one of the electronic switches blew out, we needed him.

Basically they like you, I'm sure. But when you start costing them money or they aren't making enough, it gets tough. And in the scheme of things, this isn't a hardship. It's just tedious and annoying.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Rococogurl, I agree with your assessment.

Except one thing, which was "...The way you're working, which is with a lot of changes, there are lots of changes orders. Changing the material of a counter, or switching tile, or delaying a decision of what you want costs you if it's spec'd differently"

I think there is no more infuriating phrase to a homeowner than "change order". We have 22 of them. Many of them are due to structural and site conditions (1902 house). Some are purchases of items not in the scope of the budget (ie a light fixture here and there that I could only get thru the trade). Some are totally understandable and legitimate charges for items where I chose something that was above the allowances (which actually didn't happen too much, my GC allowances were pretty accurate).

But I have never changed materials (this slab was selected last June) or delayed decisions. DH and I have made this a part time job!

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

There's something to what rococogurl says - but my mind goes to the GC who I started my kitchen/bathroom renovation with. Instead it should go to the one I finished/repaired my kitchen/bathroom remodel with and with whom I've done 2 other (smaller) remodels in our house.

The first GC who found guys with whom every wall, electric line and plumbing tubing and whatnot really were laid is *not* " ... the guy who knows where every plumbing line in your house is routed, all the quirks of the electrical and how to fix a leak -- because he knows how he built it out.". His philosophy was - as I learned much to my chagrin later - to hire people with whom he could claim plausible deniability. [Small matter that you need to know the contractor work well enough to know how well the would-be-sub in front of you knows *his* job]. Anyhow, the upshot was that he had a CYA approach to GCing that didn't necessitate him actually supervising anything - he couldn't seeing as how he didn't know any sub's job - and while he helped himself to my cash, he didn't actually do anything to represent me and could not identify a problem to the symptom staring us all in the face, for all the tea in China.

My second GC, however, is a bona fide General Contractor, and while we've gone through all the stresses and stressors Rocs defines, at the end of the day, he really is the man who knows what and where the important working parts are in my house, the man we call sans hesitation when we need an update. He costs money also - upfront not much more if at all to the bone ahead alluded to above - but at the end of the day, so much less because he really knows what he wants done, how he wants it done, won't take less from his subs and does it all right.

Mtnrdredux, I think your GC is a capable guy as I seem to recall that you've used him in a prior remodel. That said, I know just what you mean about a community of chaps sitting with their hands in your wallet-pocket. My experience with the first GC had the GC, the Designer, and the Project Manager each and all sitting so. Each chose to contract with me directly instead of through the GC - and I foolishly thought that would be so much the better because if they're getting paid by me, that they'd represent me and my interests. Hah! Professional allegiances meant that the PM wouldn't speak up or countermand a stupid GC or sub short-cut even when they saw it (the PM let slip as much to me much later) but none of them saw anything amiss in charging me regularly to stand around, all 3, everyday that work was being done NOT overseeing the mistakes that would hurt my project not that much later. Of course, no one claimed responsibility for the damage-due-to-improper-build but blamed me, my house, the other supervisor not in the room at the time, or the sub. But somehow, it all cost me real money.

Anyhow, that is just by way of saying that, (1) if you have a competent contractor, be very thankful - they are probably saving you more money that you might ever know. (2) it might take 5 years, but at some point in time, you'll find that playing the part of the village idiot who played bread winner for anyone who has the gumption to get their hand in your pocket, utterly hilarious. :-)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Your regional multiplier for labor costs is something like 1.6 the national average, so for someone who lives where their multiplier is .8 to tell you that your GCs labor costs are outrageous it's not a particularly informed decision.

My parents (who live in a very low-cost area) use a painter who is considered by many people in their area to be "too expensive". Part of the issue is that he is thorough and slow rather than slap it on, but I asked my dad "Well, okay, but what does he charge per hour?" And its something like $17 or $18. If he lived where I live, he would do better on public assistance considering he has a family.

Its all a part of the whole package, you can also buy a 5000 sq. foot 1920s Tudor revival in perfect condition for less than a typical

• eandhl
    13 years ago

mtnrdredux, just saw where you are from. We are also in CT though not Fairfield County (Litchfield Cty) and yes zip factors into the equation. Sometimes when I see prices listed here I get sick to think what we pay in CT!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Change orders are inevitable. Even with allowances basic costs are rising due to global market and fuel prices etc. etc. -- nothing to do with our personal projects -- but we take the hit.

Costs also escalate exponentially over time and the size of the project.

When we started our first reno -- before the geniuses went into Iraq -- everything was really affordable. It was a pleasure. Once that started I saw costs jump 20% and I wouldn't be surprised if it's near 40% by now.

It went from no conversation about how much it costs to fill up the tank on the truck to not much else (except the Yankees).

I'd take solace in the fact that the marble slab cost hasn't increased since you picked it out. Not unsympathetic here, just the reality now. And hindsight.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

mtn - you are lucky. It seems my gc allowances either were not accurate enough or they decided at some point they were not making enough on our project. I got "change ordered" (otherwise known as "screwed") for many items that my gc knew about going in or should have asked, such as electric for separate fridge/freezer, icemaker, lighting (plan never changed), etc... I gave him a detailed rendering of our kitchen, but he did not want to install the cabs since they were from Ikea and he was not familiar with them. It showed 4 light fixtures and a ceiling fan. It showed the separate fridge and freezer (all carefully labeled by me). After the fact, he played dumb about it all. I know I should have gone over the contract with a fine tooth comb, but when he arrived to do that, my husband was late (as I tried to reach him by cell and email) and the architect was early, so I just glanced. MAJOR MISTAKE.
    I am on Long Island, also the tri state area and we are in a zip code upcharge zone. Nearby towns are not as expensive as ours, so if it were 2 miles in several directions, I think some bids would have been much lower. I had 2 bids, $50k & $70k more than the consensus for our project which I know were calculated by location more than by the details of our project. The one we went with was in the normal range (we got many bids).

My gc arranged all the work for the extensions, the plumbing, electric, etc, but it was not in his nor any of the others' plans to be involved in buying fixtures, carpet, flooring, appliances or counters. It is not me being cheap to say it is not something I'd expect a gc to be in the middle of (although I may be cheap on lots of other things, lol). It surprised me that your gc was involved in the process. If you are ok paying for it, that is your choice. I'd never consider doing that. As you can see, some simple cuts are costing you big. We went with Corian (on sale for 40% off). We got a lot of fabrication involved with cutouts, separate pieces, seams, finished on edges of back sides and ends, etc... The total for material and installation worked out to just over $2k and that included 17 linear feet of regular countertops (one run is 27" deep), a shelf in Corian behind the sink for 3.5ft and the top and sides on the back section of our 9' island. I know Corian is different than marble, but there was labor involved and the Corian itself was not dirt cheap.

The reason some contractors/fabricators charge as they do it because they get away with it. Some of my neighbors would rather brag that they spent $90k on their kitchen (sans extension), whereas I'd rather brag about how much I got done for X amount, or how much I saved.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Not much to add except to say that my former GC (I'm the GC now to save money) would have been involved with all of the finishes (counters, lights, faucets, flooring) and would be getting a cut on all of it. That's how its done where I live. It's interesting to hear Dianalo say her GC is not part of any of that.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Change orders are inevitable

Not if the homeowner doesn't make changes. Contractors have tried to change the price on fixed-price jobs with me due to rising costs. I let them kneel by my trashcans in the driveway and eat the increases. I'm sure they're unhappy and less excited about my job. Since I am not running a group therapy home for unhappy contractors, I don't care if they're grumpy. If they try to take it out on my project, they will experience a much, much worse emotional state than grumpiness.

The reality is that since the economy went into the toilet, there is no longer room for contractors driving 911s. This is mostly just physical, manual labor. It is not rocket science, and there is no terrible shortage of people with hands and arms. Pluckers in Tyson chicken factories work five times as hard in conditions ten times as bad for pay that is only a fraction of what a contractor earns. Plus, there is an extremely large percentage of GCs who do no work at all. They are just salespeople. They add no value. Which is a nice way of saying they are worthless.

If you want your job to succeed, stay away from whiners and crybabies, and stay very very far away from people who do high end jobs in Scarborough or Westport.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"This is mostly just physical, manual labor"

Glad I never had you as a customer.

It is a lot more than just digging ditches.

Try pricing a gantry saw for stone work.

While marble tooling is not as bad as granite tooling, the saws are still painfully expensive.
    Small saws run $3,000 to $5,000.

Larger computer controlled units can get over $35,000 pretty quickly.

My stone guy goes through pretty much a blade per slab.

Each blade runs about $200.

The carbide blades can be sharpened, but then you need to make sure about the kerf size before using it again.
    Diamond blades are pretty much one shot.
    When the wear out the labor and effort to re-grit them is hardly worth the effort.

• weissman
    13 years ago

As others have said, fabrication is usually more than the cost of the stone except with very expensive stones - also some fabricators won't fabricate stones that you didn't get through them because of the liability. If you're unhappy with this fabricator's quote, I suggest you get other estimates.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I agree with above - change orders are not inevitable. My DH and I did a whole house reno with a GC (DIY people we are not) and we had two change orders over the 7 month job.
    One was to vault our ceiling in the family room which we didn't know we could do until the ceiling was opened up to be insulated and we saw the vault trusses were already there (LR and DR were already vaulted). The second change order was redoing our outside front entrance at the end of the job because we had some extra money when the job came in under budget.
    Dh and I knew exactly - exactly what everything was going to cost before we signed any contract or started any job. We (I) spent close to 2 years doing my homework and researching and pricing. Nobody was going to take advantage of me and my money without my knowledge and say-so.
    ( And Yes, using a GC is costly but we knew that going in.)

I understand that the unforeseen can happen during a reno but not knowing the costs of what you're doing before starting, that I don;t understand. Sorry. Get other quotes.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Fabrication and installation should run around $30 per sq ft.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Haven't been here since last night so I just saw you reply to my post. I wasn't meaning to say you weren't being nice to them, but your frustration and feeling that everything is costing you more than it should MAY come across even when you don't think you are saying it. If it does, it can make things harder and more expensive.

We live in a planned community with everything from subsidized apartments to multi-million dollar homes. Nonetheless, we get zip code bidding too. I had one cabinet bid that came out WAY higher than the others I was looking at and I'm sure it was a zip code factor. They didn't get the job. I also didn't go with the company that used to do most of the granite work around here, not only because they said no marble in kitchens but also because their fabrication charges started at $45 sq foot.

But you do have a slab you love and had to have, probably could not be easily replaced. I do think that is a factor -- and you could be paying multiple up charges for each person involved. I hired my stone fabricator directly, so I only had their cost involved.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Weissman - this post has dragged on for a while, but I have heard enough dissenting opinions here that I have concluded, as Palimpsest said, the quote is "pricey, but not gouging". I gave the go ahead.

Hi Lascatx --- no worry --- tone is to hard to read here. I didn't think you were saying that, I was just letting you know that I understand you get more bees with honey etc etc etc.....

Marcolo, Funny, both you and Rococo mention rising costs and I have not heard that at all from anyone. I do think you are being just a tad harsh, now --- much of the labor is indeed quite skilled, not chicken pluckers. And in this area, we really don't have hungry contractors. I am told the lesser ones folded, and the 'good" ones are doing work for all the people who would move but dont want to sell into this market.

BLfenton - as i mentioned in my post, part of it is the "change order" terminology. Inspectors telling me I need a steel beam is a change order ... conceding to paint the whole house instead of just the new construction elements is a change order .... replumbing to accommodate a taller washer and dryer than what was there is a change order... electricians' time to rewire european fixtures is a change order ...KWIM? We are not indecisive dilettantes dreaming up new ideas as we go. And this is part of the research now ... questioning this item. By the way, this item does not put me over my allowance for counters, so in that sense I did "know the costs before starting". But just because something comes in within allowance, doesnt mean I dont want to understand it.

Thanks Pharaoh, But, if i get it right, wouldnt that mean every slab of the same size would have the same fab cost? Whether I cut it into 10 peices or 2? That seems counterintuitive.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

The $30/sq ft is based on an average kitchen which may have three counter surface, a sink, a stove with the appropriate cutouts, edging etc.
    Instead of using sq ft you could count the ft of edging needed and go from there. either way your quote is too high.

You probably have 30 ft of edging. $30x30 = $900. Same as what i estimated.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, pharaoh, for the explanation.

Btw, I realized I made a pun ... COUNTERintuitive. Tee hee

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I certainly didn't mean to offend you. There were a number of digressions in this post - rich postal codes, what GC'S are responsible for, change orders, costing of fabricating in different areas etc. My comment was in reference to change orders in general and not to your specific situation.
    KWIM? Hopefully that isn't insulting.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, no , no offense taken BLF. I was only making the point that "change orders" are not necessarily what most people would call "changes"....