SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aly1331_gw

Contractor Wants my Old Island and Cabinets

aly1331
10 years ago

What is the typical transaction for this scenario:
I hired a contractor to remodel my kitchen.
The kitchen has a marble island that is moveable 4X6.
Contractor said it can't fit through the front door to remove it.
I suggested go through a wooden fence that doesn't have a gate. I only suggested this because I thought maybe the island couldn't be demolished to carry out to the dumpster but then I see the guys demolishing the normal counters with no problem. So now to me it seems like someone wants to take this island as well as the large cabinets that are in fairly good shape.

1) Is the homeowner typically given a credit for the items the contractor is able to take and use in another project?
2) I only suggested going through wooden fence because I didn't understand what they wanted to do. Will I need to specify that this was an accommodation and they will need to repair/replace the fence?
3) I'd much rather they just demolish things and carry it out than to go opening up the fence that is on the property line. Is this okay for me to recommend even though I know someone is interested in taking the marble island?
4) Can I instead sell the island on craigslist and not have to worry about getting any "credit" for them taking it?

This is my first home and I have no reference for anything. I appreciate anyone comments or suggestions. Thank you!

Comments (16)