SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcmesprit

eclectic mcm kit/dining/half bath reveal (LOTS pics)

MCMesprit
12 years ago

Finally -- as promised -- photos of our eclectic MCM kitchen/informal dining/half bath remodel. Unfortunately, I discovered GW late in the demo process, but I can't thank you all enough for the helpful information that enabled us to survive the installation/last minute revisions/Oops! what do we do now?? stages that followed.

A little back story: We purchased this 1959 time capsule last summer from the second owner. The original owner was a local architect who designed and built the home (he had his own construction firm) for his family. The second owners (from 1976-) maintained the home but did virtually no renovations. Shortly after we purchased the home, the home was declared eligible for historical status by the State for its innovative design and unique MCM features (only a few of which are visible in these pics)

Our challenge: to restore and maintain the home's MCM spirit while updating the kitchen and adjoining informal dining and half-bath with contemporary finishes. Two unique features had to be sacrificed in the remodel: the doggy bath in the laundry to expand the half bath and the "puppet show" orange divider between the kitchen and informal dining area. But the original footprint of the kitchen was retained as well as the custom island hood, the pendants by the sink and the Danish-inspired wall divider/open cabinetry between the kitchen and formal DR.

I've attached lots of pics (before and after) of the kitchen, informal dining area, and adjacent half bath.

BEFORE PICS

Original informal dining area

Original Kitchen

Original kitchen desk nook

View towards informal dining area

Laundry next to Kitchen w/doggy bath

Original half bath (door is only 18" wide due to doggy bath)

vanity in half bath

AFTER PICS

New kitchen viewed from informal dining area

New kitchen skylight

Bar table detail

Coffee/tea station with appliance drawer

New Island

Kitchen cabinets

Desk nook and KT/DR wall divider

New entrance to half bath

New half bath

half bath cabinet w/stained glass inserts