SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blue_mountain_gw

suggestions my 'new to me' kitchen - with photos!

blue_mountain
13 years ago

I've reposted with photos, thanks for the suggestion!

We've just purchased a home and will be doing A LOT of painting and updating and wallpaper removal (photos reflect previous owners things, not ours). For now, we can only do minor cosmetic work in the kitchen (paint, hardware, window treatments, accents, etc).

I'm looking for some inspiration for a paint color--thinking blue, blue-green or maybe a real neutral like tan or off white. I'm planning on changing light fixtures and adding black hardware and perhaps a painted black dining table and chairs for contrast in the breakfast nook (which also might hold up better to three young children). I like the idea of a striped cotton rug for the floor, think Dash and Albert type.

The floors are red oak laminate, the cabinets are white beadboard type and the counter top is a light wheat colored corian. The kitchen has a bay window with southern exposure but will have indirect light due to a porch on the front of the house. Some borrowed light will come from the dining room which faces the north side of the house.

I'm considering BM Palladian Blue for the dining room , and for the foyer (leads into the kitchen) probably a tan color.

I've been looking (and reading about on this forum) blues or maybe even a blue-green or green, but then was worried that it will be "cool" (too blah or depressing) with the indirect lights. I'm not a huge fan of yellow, and the one of the wall now is just too intensely yellow for me.

Suggestions from your exeperience with blue/greens or maybe something totally different? Also, if you have other suggestions about minor/inexpensive changes that I could make, I would appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)