SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnjmom_gw

Kitchen Layout Help

jnjmom
15 years ago

Hey my GW heroes!!

I've been mildly lurking here (an occasional post here and there) but I'm ready to post my layout for suggestions!

I have done both the Sweeby test and Buehl's checklist. FABULOUS - so helpful, thanks!! In thinking about the Sweeby test  I have a couple of issues  there is no way I am planning my fantasy dream kitchen. At best, IÂm planning a great kitchen I will love for 10 years. I only have roughly $20k to spend  countertops, hardware, cabinets, etc (not appliances). Therefore, many of the ideas I read here get filed in the "I wish" folder. **to avoid sounding like a spoiled brat, I really am thankful for what I am going to have :o)** My first quote from my cabinet guy is in line (around 18,500 for cabinets, hw, and corian). By the time I add all of extras, I'm thinking we will be at the limit. I'm going to have my second sit down with him on Monday, so I'm trying to have a good handle on what I am wanting.

Dimensions  overall kitchen is 14Â9" x 14Â1". Walls can't move. There is a 36" space around the island right now (see pt 4 below). DB = drawer bank. DO = double oven. G = garbage. I apologize for the iffy sketch  especially after seeing aioliÂs :o)  my scanner is broke so I had to take a pic and doctor it in ps. One square on the grid is a foot, I did the best I could to make it as close to actual as possible. I have detailed placements in mind but wonÂt list all those here unless a question comes up.

Now  for function. This will be mainly a one person kitchen, with an occasional helper, but probably not in the same zone. I am a stay home mom, we love to entertain (host a small group weekly of 12-16 people), my kids are 9 and 13 and they also love to entertain  there is almost always a friend at our house. I cook a decent dinner every night. There is a bar on the peninsula for homework/snacks/visiting with the cook/maid (me). There is also a message center/laptop desk where the main internet surfing will be done (ie in the open where one of your parents might accidentally walk by and see what you are looking at!). I have posted the entire downstairs plan (albeit two or three drafts ago) so you can see the flow of traffic.

As much as I hate to admit it, I would probably sacrifice function for form  so symmetry is important  also very important to DH.

With all of the company we keep, I have more groceries than the average bear, so my pantry will be stocked with food (will also have a pantry in the basement for overflow). I donÂt have an enormous amount of dishes/gadgets/etc as my former kitchen was a smallish galley without much storage. I am a coffee drinker, but IÂm the only one in the house. I love kitchen drawers for pots/pans/Tupperware/utensils.

I think I have a pretty good start on what will work for me. I have Âwalked through the kitchen many times trying to decide what to put where.

My...

Comments (30)