SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sqp1015

Layout Help Request - We're Getting There!!

sqp1015
11 years ago

Hi again - my last layout post on June 12 yielded so many insightful & thought-inducing comments; DH & I made major revisions & hope you'll all be as forthcoming w/ our latest effort!

Must apologize 1st for not responding to lavender lass for your last post on June 15 - we were off to a family wedding & then dove into redrawing. But I think the dimension lines in my plan must have been quirky - your "L"-shaped suggestion was elegant but in reality the island could have only been about 21" wide (including overhangs). Really interested in your idea of putting butcher block onto part of the island, though - especially since we have some vintage block on existing counter now!

Anyway, here is existing ground floor:

From 06-2012 Floorplans

And here is our latest revision:

From 06-2012 Floorplans

As you can see, we've consolidated the 2 islands into one; moved the fridge to beside one of the pantry cabs; moved the window over & eliminated the upper cabs flanking it; made the cabs beside the wall oven(s) into a hutch-type arrangement (dishes will be stored there - DW is in island nearby); put 15" wide trash units @ either end on opposite sides of island; moved double sink across island & put single sink on side w/ cooktop; moved the MW drawer from island to cab below & to right of cooktop; & ditched one counter stool, putting remaining 2 on same side. Distance from island to living rm archway is greater. We also pulled the broom closet back from relocation to our entrance hall (never DH's favorite notion) by combining the 2 existing closets into one wide-but-shallow closet w/ double doors (sliders would keep traffic lane clear but limit access, & don't really want that look).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this as well as the following issues:

1) If we use some version of this plan, should we put an oven below the induction cooktop (want 36" cooktop & there are no 36" induction ranges) & then another wall oven (& maybe warming oven) where ovens are shown beside the chimney?

2) Could we fit some auxilliary refrigeration closer to the eating area & living rm? We had hoped to put in some sort of beverage center, but just don't see how right now w/out constricting things again.

3) Would you switch the basement door swing? Latest plan shows it as it is now; last one had it flipped. (I mean hinge side, not swinging toward stairs.)

As always, THANK YOU for all your help!

Comments (7)