SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sqp1015

Lurker's First Post - Layout Help Request

sqp1015
12 years ago

Hello, all - Just signed up after about a year of lurking & marvelling at all of your creativity, enthusiasm, & generosity! Husband & I (mid-50's, no kids, in "this old house" for 16 yrs. & forever we hope) are finally getting serious about LONG-dreamed-of kitchen remodel/expansion. Existing kitchen is approx. 12'6"x16' @ largest points; we're going to take down walls into adjacent area to enlarge kitchen and, as importantly, to enable views from kitchen to the waterfront on which we're blessed to live. (Right now, if you're in the kitchen you'd never know we're on the water.) To that end, we're going to open a new entryway to our living room (duplicating the existing entry @ other end of same wall) & replace existing windows facing water w/ French doors to a new deck. BUT (of course there are "buts"!) we cannot widen or lengthen the new kitchen beyond the existing exterior walls because of proximity to propoerty lines & street. So we're finding it really difficult to plan the new space despite what will be a major increase in square footage. We've gotten plan help from a cabinet designer & just recently hired an architect; they both came up w/ minor variations on what we'd already agonized over. I'd LOVE to hear from the Kitchen Forum! Here are things we want to include:

- 36" cooktop (we'd planned on gas; thanks to this forum we're leaning toward induction)

- 30" double electric wall ovens

- 36" French-door fridge

- standard single-unit dishwasher

- large (36"?) double-bowl main sink

- smaller prep sink

- gas fireplace in dining area w/ at least some visibility from work areas

- full-size microwave @ counter level, or microwave drawer

- table-&-chair setup in dining area configured to maximize views of water & fireplace (& TV we expect to have above it)

- upper cabinets to reach ceiling; don't know what height that will be because each area to be incorporated in new kitchen currently has a different ceiling height! But I'm tall (5'10") & more than willing to use a step stool if it means more cabinet space.

- lots of wide, deep drawers in lower cabinets (again, THANK YOU, GW KF!)

- counter space near formal dining room entry to stage serving dishes, etc.; current layout has sink, range, & dishwasher along wall visible from dining room, & I hope to move them away.

Our "lifestyle": I love to cook; husband doesn't cook at all. We entertain w/ 2-6 other people once or twice a month & have 10 to 25 guests a few times a year. Although I'd love to become the person who delights in having the kitchen full of people while I cook, I don't think it's going to happen - I'm too easily distracted! But we would like to incorporate a bit of counter seating on the perimeter; hopefully towards the new living room entry. We'd also like to include a beverage center w/ wine fridge, but haven't figured out how/where. AND our home has very few closets, & current thinking removes the existing tiny broom closet where I keep vacuum, etc. - we'll need a new one.

Well, that's a lot to barrage you all with, but I'm sure I've left out plenty of critical info - please ask away! I'm going to attempt to post 4 pictures here: First is existing space showing walls to be removed, new doorways, etc.; second is new space that will result; third is one draft layout plan; fourth is a second draft layout. I hope this works, and I welcome ALL feedback - Thanks!!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!