SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

I need a creative solution!

blackcats13
13 years ago

Our kitchen is going to be a U with short-ish sides. The cabinets were pulled from the reno of someone else's kitchen, so what we have is all we have and isn't really match-able. The problem is the space between stove and door. I would like to use about 30" of space or less to keep the walk path more open. We thought we had a 33" base cab to put there, which just barely fit without being getting cramped, but I had failed to note that was the sink cab. What could/should I put here? I started to think to have our guy build a cab type shell, just have open shelves for cook books and hope there is BB left over to top it with. Any other ideas?

Also wondering about the backsplash. We are using Ikea BB counters. Should I get a couple inches of BB backsplash from somewhere (can I even do that?) to stain to match (we're staining the counter too) or just have the counter against the wall? The rest of the wall/backsplash area is going to be painted for the foreseeable future, with possibly some type of glass behind the stove. Money is definitely an issue here.

Here is a pic of one of the drafts of our layout, though it's not really accurate anymore, we made changes last night and I don't have access to the program that made it anymore. There will be a peninsula sticking out from the bottom of the pic near the dishwasher and the bit of wall that sticks out. Also, you can see the 33" cab next to the stove that we don't actually have. Above it will be some short open shelving to end the upper cab run so that we don't have to shorten the soffitt. If that makes sense?

Here is a pic of our cabinets before they were pulled from their previous location:

Thanks!

Comments (3)