SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Need A Creative Solution for A Hole In Tile Wall

Laurie
13 years ago

There is a switch plate sized hole in my bathroom wall where well, a switch plate used to be.

The prior owner had moved the electrical over at some point, covered the hole with a plate but the plate had deteriorated over the years and he never bothered to repair it. Most likely when he went from knob and tube to new wiring. So, there's old disconnected wiring hanging in the hole.

When I took possession of the home, the plate was hanging off the wall and this was one of the things on my Temporary Certificate of Occupancy which I need to repair.

Since the bathroom is literally falling apart, I'm in no mood to actually repair the hole with tile, Besides the fact that the tile is vintage, and doing the repair would be sort of time consuming and; considering tiles are falling off the wall left and right in every direction on every wall, and my intention is to eventually gut the room - it makes no sense to do repairs at this time.

So I suddenly got the idea that maybe just finding something to place over the hole might be a solution. Not sure what though. Maybe a towel ring? One of those small wall shelves I see at Target in the home accessories area? Something decorative like that. It's near the new switch plate so it can't be too large but I think the DOB is just looking for it to be closed up - I don't think they care what goes there; as long as the old electrical wires aren't seen sticking out of the wall.

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions. Either that or I supposed I could get some wire mesh, place it behind the wall, mud over it and try and place a few tiles to cover it, but since the ones all around are chipped a bit - like I said, it's really just like throwing a tiny child's bandaid on a gaping wound if I do that lol.

Comments (15)