SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buildinva

ISO: Confidence

buildinva
10 years ago

Just venting, and looking for support...

I'm so exhausted and run down from this whole process, and now my confidence is draining away. I haven't cooked dinner for my family in 3 weeks. My house is trashed. I haven't packed for the move or done a million other things on my "to do" list. And having to argue and defend what I want makes me doubt myself. I've done months of research and spent hours thinking about how much family lives and what we want & need. But when an "expert" disagrees with me, I collapse! Why?!

The meeting with my builder and the electrician ran till 9:30 last night and left me emotionally drained. In their words, my lighting plan will make my home "look like Ferguson." Ugh. They didn't like my pendants, my recessed, the placement I'd planned, or the switches, and I began to doubt every decision I have made. It was exhausting. My builder is a really great guy who has been awesome to work with--he just does not like as much light as I do. The electrician was much harder to work with. He wanted to put my recessed lights 6 feet apart in the kitchen and kept trying to talk me out of doing pendants over the island. He also recommended putting a recessed light directly above my stove hood because the light reflecting on the stainless steel would look "so cool!" Um, no!!

He installed 2 of my main switches in incorrect locations, and also did not do the 4-way switches I had requested because he "doesn't like them." That was a battle too, and in the end he moved one of the switches and I gave in on the other. But I'm left doubting myself at every turn. It's really hard to argue about lighting with an electrician! But then again, it's my house, right??

Today I requested to be present when they mark the the granite for fabrication. They said they'd never heard of a homeowner wanting to give input on that. It took me 15 minutes to make them understand WHY I want to be there and that, yes, the slab placement IS that important to me.

They they also sprung a new deadline on me and want all of my lighting by Friday (8 days early). So now I'm freaking out trying to choose the rest of the lighting (this is a whole-house gut reno).

Now they just called to ask if I want a 5 inch radius on the granite corners and I HAVE NO IDEA!!! I want to keep with our mid-century modern aesthetic but I also don't want to stab myself in the stomach when I'm working in the kitchen!

I'm just.plain.tired.

Thanks for letting me rant!!!

Comments (24)