SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veloguru

Spray Foamed attic problems

veloguru
11 years ago

I recently added two additions to my raised ranch creating a U shaped house. I had access to a spray foam rig, so sprayed new walls and 2x10 rafters and also existing roof ( 2x4 trusses). The existing roof was a little rushed at the end of the job and i'm sure the coverage is less than even. I also did not pack fiberglass filled bags into roof/wall joint before spraying. ( I have done this in other houses, but i have a low pitched roof and getting to eaves would be painful). Problems : Dripping water from soffits/ fascia ( presumably hot damp air in attic is getting to colder surfaces in eave box and condensing?). Attic temp is 84 deg with 88% RH compared to 70deg 34% RH in house and outside, scary numbers for April in NY!
Where is all this humidity coming from? Checked bath fans, all venting outside as they should. I am thinking of installing Gable louvers and a roof fan to use from March to October and block them off with rigid foam for winter.
Obviously the unvented, increased building envelope approach is not working as i'd hoped. Any advice?

Comments (17)