SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sumlee_gw

Spray Foam(hard foam) or Radiant Barrier to Attic Ceiling

sumlee
14 years ago

Does anyone have any research on if having attic ceilings with spray foamed or a radiant barrier helps reduce your energy bill by 15-30% in warm climates such as central Florida. By reducing the attic temperature from 150F to normal outside temperature. I am interested in to know if anyone who lives in a warm state like FL,TX,AZ etc...has had their attic ceilings spray foamed (hurricane adhesive) or use a radiant barrier and has seen a significant reduction in their energy bill? As the claim is since all the AC air ducts are in the Attic and the attic temperature is at 150 to 160F it causes the AC unit to work harder and adding this insulation barrier will reduce the attic temperature to the ambient temperature outside and thus your AC unit is on less. Now I just move to FL from NY where I used my AC 1 month out of the year instead of year around in Florida. Any Help on this matter would be great. I have gotten quotes for Hard Foam at approx. $1.50 to $1.80 per sq ft since its not summer season yet. In summer it jumps to $2.50. So for 2200 sq.ft. living space its $6500

Comments (2)