SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willis13_gw

Do the glitchen dance... 2 steps forward, 1 step back...

willis13
13 years ago

OK, can I just say it?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

I haven't talked much about my kitchen (plus) reno on here, because I

a) discovered this forum too late to get any input into layout so I'm afraid if I post anything now people will be thinking "huh, what is she DOING?" and

b) I'm just so freaking busy, overwhelmed, etc that I am weeks behind on getting photos downloaded.

But I do read constantly... I go to bed with my blackberry and read thread after thread. So I feel I'm getting to know you all, even though you don't have a clue who I am. And I've been posting a bit more, so figured it was time for me to introduce me, or at least, my reno.

We bought a 1952 home with a totally dysfunctional kitchen. The house had been added onto, but the original very very small kitchen had remained. A gorgeous renovation had been done to the upstairs, and it's on a desirable street in our city, so we decided to go a little nuts. We've removed walls, moved walls, moved windows and doors, and basically reworked half of the downstairs. The small kitchen has been moved from the center of the house to the back, it's been opened up to the family room.

Things were going really well, until the appliances arrived two weeks ago. This was when we discovered that not only had the uppers all been installed 1.5" too low, but the fridge opening was 2.5" too small, and the vent hood clearance was also not enough. No idea how this happened, things had been measured and measured. The installation was just a total screw up on the part of the installers (cabinet makers subbed this as they are so busy, they usually do it themselves), the drawings clearly showed the installation height. But these boxes above the fridge and stove being too big... no clue. Cabinet maker is not happy with installer, but wonderful about taking everything down and rebuilding/reinstalling.

So then we discover that the drawer clearances are not what I expected. And I did ask. The soft close hardware took up way more room than I expected. After all my careful measuring of pots, pans etc... well, they won't fit. Spend a night thinking we'll have to remake the island, with banks of three drawers rather than four to accommodate "stuff". The cabinet people tweaked all the hardware locations to get every millimeter out of the clearances, and we're okay. Just. Phew.

Then there was the stained desk top which got painted, and the painted banquette which got stained...

So moving day is coming up, and the kitchen looks like it did a month ago. So much for moving things in slowly so we don't have to stress about unpacking in our rather short summer. We want to enjoy it!

Then last night, checked on the house, and they have installed some of the decorative molding on the bottom of a cabinet, upside down.

Well this, was the straw. My positive attitude flew out the window.

They are being totally awesome about fixing everything, I have no complaints about their customer service. Or their quality. I just see my moving date looming and have visions of moving in with a fridge in the middle of the banquette area, a stove in the middle of the family room, and using my vent hood as a table centerpiece. I guess it cost enough, I may as well enjoy it from all aspects...

And I do realize this is small potatoes compared to some of the things others are going through, and we're not living there, yet, but we planned this house overlap to avoid all this! ARRGGHHH.

So join me in my glitchen dance will you... 2 steps forward, 1 step back....

And thanks for listening :)

Comments (15)