SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

One small step forward on bathroom tile choice

rockybird
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone's help on this forum, I think I'm getting closer to picking a tile!

I received my fireclay tile samples and I really like them. I think I will use fireclay for my bathroom shower and floor. I just need to figure out colors. The Fireclay designer is suggesting 12" hex. I really like the mint green/blues. I am thinking about mint/green floor with white 4" block shower staggered like in the pic below, or mint/green shower with white floor..or?

I like the moonstone, glacier bay and aqua colors best. Here they are on walnut with white counter (block) and white tile.

Here they are together in one of my favorite pics (I saved this pic for years, and i just happened to pick the same tile brand and colors in it!):

Glacier bay;

Moonstone:

Aqua:

Other tiles:

Shower I like:

Any thoughts on turquoise?

Comments (51)

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

Ooo, I love large hexagon tile for floors! Someone in the bath forum was going to do 8" last year but she had to change it in the final design. It was a small bath and yours is large, but I would look at both sizes. I'd mock it up with lightweight cardboard (I cut up gift boxes, cereal boxes, and poster board as stand-ins for tile).

I don't think I'd like a solid blue-green floor, but I've seen photos of the 8" where they use three colors. Would you like that with white and two of the blue-greens? I don't think 12" lends itself to a color mix as well, if at all. Would it be too busy in an 8" for the size of your room? Maybe a mostly white tiled floor with fewer and more random inclusions of the blue-green tiles? Then you would repeat the white in the shower. I like the idea of keeping the shower clean and bright with a white tile.

I was just in the bath forum where someone has a red body clay tile with unglazed edges in her shower and it won't dry out. I looked at my Fireclay samples and the edges are unglazed. Double check with Fireclay whether that has ever been an issue in their installations.

rockybird thanked mayflowers
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

they are all gorgeous, whether you take just one (out of these three i like Moonstone the best) or stagger all of them, like in the picture..very slight variation, very pleasing to the eye

and, yes, i do love turquoise. this floor is amazing. i agree with lukkirish-i'd do blue-green walls, white floor

i remain the faithful fan of that gloomier, darker, a bit grayish green..the lowest row. i like turquoise more as well since it's darker, deeper shade. but then i have dark hair(well i mean it's red now lol but it's naturally dark), dark eyes..we instinctively choose the colors that will flatter us more. or so i think. if i was 16 i wouldn't care but now i do

if you like them best, these colors-it means they suit you. they all are beautiful. the all have the sky in them..the air, the water, the freshness, the freedom. it's a tremendously uplifting direction to take..and i think it will work great with both the house-and you.

rockybird thanked aprilneverends
  • Related Discussions

Bathroom Reno: Toilet Choice; Tiling Walls; Wainscoting Height

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you very much! We met with the contractor yesterday and the plan is: *Tiling walls: We will tile around the toilet and behind the vanity as well as on that right-hand wall. I think it would look odd if we didn't, and it is a splash zone of sorts, right by the tub/shower. *Tile height on the walls: We decided on 40" because the vanity will be 36" high and that will allow for a 4" backsplash. *Melle - isn't that iridescent tile crazy? RE the vanity, I'm sorry to hear that about the Godmorgon. Ours, the dark black/brown color, has regular handles, not integrated ones. I wonder if that will make a difference? We are going to purchase the Godmorgon high cabinet as well - it is only 15"W by 11"D and so will occupy little floor and visual space. *RE toilets: Maybe you are right that I should re-think the comfort vs. regular height question. But don't family bathrooms usually have regular height toilets? I'm thinking of resale value down the line too. Thanks!
    ...See More

One large bathroom or two small bathrooms?

Q

Comments (26)
    In the picture, black is the current layout. Green is the change if only shower was made bigger and one door would be eliminated. Red is a complet demo, removing the wall section between two toilets. All the water lines from upstairs are in the section of the wall that is between two toilets so removing this wall would require a major move of water lines to the side and there would have to be a section of wall kept behind new toilet and vanity. The door from master would have to be framed and move to the left as a pocket or barn door. The drowing is disproportionate. It is all very cramped in there Current shower is only 26"x26". But may be replacing vanity for a wall hung vanity in the larger bathroom would change the feel. It will all have to be torn down and replaced including removing subfloors as they are rotten. So either remodel will be a lot of work. What should we do?
    ...See More

Tile choices- bathroom, will they work.

Q

Comments (19)
    Click on photo to see enlarged photo. I worked up another design idea board, using suggestions here - thank you all so much- and eliminating the dark brown floor tile, which I agree could distract from the other tiles. The more I look at it, the more it seems that using it would result in a dark and not appealing floor. Not every photo in my current design board is a serious option. I primarily wanted to showcase our 2 remaining tile options - after eliminating the dark brown. Thise tiles are on the far left side and The large solider color tile does match a shade in the basket weave. .i just can't get my photo to indicate that. So I threw in some photos to fill the template I used ( these nonetheless may have elements that work, interested in feedback) My primary concern at this point, though, Is the floor and wall shower tile. Both tile selections are promoted as suitable for floors and walls. Am I getting closer to good choices? So grateful for the input I've been receiving.
    ...See More

Thoughts on hex tile choice for bathroom

Q

Comments (14)
    Beth H., do you know more about the fixtures / hardware in that first photo you posted? It doesn't look quite as brassy gold as some of the gold finishes I've seen. It's a beautiful color. Thank you for all the thoughts on breaking up the black/gray/white. If we end up with our gray vanity and plain brushed nickel / stainless fixtures (may be necessary due to budget constraints), can I add a wood frame or other colored metal frame to our mirror or is that too many different colors / styles? We're planning on an extra large mirror to cover the sink and toilet (the wall is about 60" long) and were considering doing it frameless or just slightly beveled, but could go with a frame if it's the right look. The sink has to be flush with the wall on the left, so I can't add much framing otherwise it will push the mirror too far to the right, but something narrow is possible. Given the size we will probably have it cut by a glass store so can likely add any simple frame we choose.
    ...See More
  • lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

Glacier Bay for the win!

rockybird thanked lazy_gardens
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

my favorite bathroom had a hex floor. I would love to do one again someday. I would do colored hex floor and white tiled shower. I might even do 4 colors in the floor or 5, but I dont know what is common :)

rockybird thanked Boopadaboo
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

I would do the colored tile on the floor.

rockybird thanked palimpsest
  • namarie
    7 years ago

I'm currently waiting for our four inch hex tile from fireclay to be installed as a laundry backsplash and your vast array of colors looks very familiar to me as I think I went through all of those as well. I settled on a four color grouping of Crater lake, Glacier bay, Caribbean and Moonshine. I decided on four colors because I wanted something fun in my small laundry room that would really only be seen by my husband and me, but I'm a little nervous about it so I think if I were you I would stick to a one color floor. That said, I love my colors together and would vote for Glacier bay.

rockybird thanked namarie
  • mayflowers
    7 years ago

Here's examples of solid and white floors. The first one is probably 12". I only found 8" and smaller hexes in bathroom photos.

Contemporary Home · More Info

Coastal Contemporary Ocean View · More Info

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You guys are awesome! Thank you for your thoughts!

Lurkiish and April - I think I'll ask for a sample of the turquoise. I have to say though that I'm really thinking of a colored floor, but I think I will stay consistent with one color.

mayflowers-thanks! I'm wondering if I should do 8" seeing those pics. The 12" doesnt seem right for a bathroom, even a big bathroom? If I do 8" then maybe I could carry it into the shower floor? I will definitely double check about the clay tiles being waterproof! Thank you!!!!

namarie - I cant wait to see pics of your laundry! That tile is beautiful!

pal- a colored floor is also what the fireclay designer is recommending.

I am leaning towards white shower (but a white tile with variation in color) and a mint floor or maybe a combo of the three mint/blues. I have to say that I am in love with the turquoise floor in that pic, but I wonder if it would be too busy over such a large space (600 sq. Feet)? I wonder how the turquoise would look in 8" hex?

Also, I just wanted to add that so far, fireclay has been amazing. They are very responsive and helpful.

• roarah
    7 years ago

I really like the way you are leaning! Can not wait to see this reveal!

rockybird thanked roarah
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is are a couple pics of colored floors. I'm just not sure...I dont really like the white either. Maybe because fireclay tiles have some variation, it'll look better in white or colored tile.

Thanks roarah! :)

Here is mint floor (just a random pic-not fireclay-looks vintage):

Turqoise floor:

Here is colored shower (glass tiles - not fireclay), white hex floor. Maybe I should think about even smaller hex..like 3"?

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

I do love that turquoise floor! You can't put an 8" hex on a shower floor because of slipping. If your shower tile is 4", I think the 8" is a good size to pair it with. 3" is just more grout lines to get dirty.

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

Beautiful tiles. I also would lean to white for the floor. I originally liked aqua best followed by glacier bay but I keep waffling back and forth. Glacier bay is winning because it is a more clear color. Moonstone looks too minty green to me.

rockybird thanked outsideplaying_gw
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks mayflowers! I dont think that pic of the turqoise is fireclay tile. I looked up the turqoise floors and not sure I liked them as much, but this tile "azurine" is beautiful. I wonder if I dare consider it for a floor?

Outsideplaying - I do like the glacier bay. I am back and forth between that and moonstone. But I might ask for a sample of the azurine above. Here is a pic of glacier bay installed:

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

I like Glacier Bay or Moonstone, and I would do white on the floor, colored tile on the walls. I love your choices!

rockybird thanked Pipdog
  • Fori
    7 years ago

Put a color on the floor. Some day I might visit and track mud in! :) Fireclay is nice because they still make the trim pieces that can be hard to find. Like floor coving!

I think I have samples of all the colors you are considering. They all have a deeply satisfying color. (I ended up with spearmint matte glass on walls and pyrite on floors in my bathroom but am still trying to pick a kitchen tile...)

rockybird thanked Fori
  • mayflowers
    7 years ago

Azurine is crackle.

What does the FC designer recommend for floor color?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Pipdog!!! I am not sure if I want white! For some reason I am not drawn to white hexagons! But, maybe there will be enough variation to keep it interesting. White is definitely the safest choice.

Fori - Wow! Your bath sounds gorgeous! I agree - the samples are just beautiful! That spearmint really sounds pretty. Do you have any pics of it?

Mayflowers - oh that probably means not to use it on floors? Crackle wouldnt look good I guess. She didnt rec. a floor color, but I am going to ask her tomorrow.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One more question - how bad would the hexagon tile look butted up against this wall in the toilet room?

• localeater
    7 years ago

Two or three houses ago I did a bath with turquoise floor tile and white wall tile. Loved it. Do the floor in a color.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Not bad at all because they are completely different.

• sochi
    7 years ago

Different colours I know, but I like the colour on the floor:

rockybird thanked sochi
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Turquoise floor absolutely! It would be stunning. I don't know if you got a sample of the fire clay hydrangea but I think it would be beautiful in the shower with a turquoise floor. It has wonderful color variations. Different than a plain white. I went with an Octagon and diamond floor tile with white octagon and color diamond. The center accent tile in the shower is a bluish turquoise iridescent. So yes I love those colors.

rockybird thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Thread with a beautiful hydrangea tile in mix of matte and gloss.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3987280/fireclay-glass-backsplash-sneak-peek?n=57

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Sochi! Those pics are a big help!!

Raven - wow! That is gorgeous! I have samples of the tile but by itself I never would think it could be so beautiful.

I spoke with FC today. They are not recommending turqoise as it doesnt have enough variation. They are suggesting sea foam, crater lake or salton sea. But she said to look at the choices and they can send more samples if I like something else.

Crater Lake:

Sea Foam:

Salton Sea:

I cant remember if she suggested Carribean:

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I really like the Caribbean, have looked at it before.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

All of these are just wonderful...

https://www.fireclaytile.com/blog/full/azurine/

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

I'm pretty sure you can't use a crackle tile in the shower or on the floor. Crackle gives you that nice variation though.

Here's Crater Lake on the floor and on the backsplash with Carribean. I would be concerned about it being baby blue. My guest bath is painted in a gray blue that can go baby blue.

What about Martinique? Too blue and too saturated? I have found the samples look much different in person and from photo to photo.

https://www.fireclaytile.com/gallery/detail/diamonds-are-forever/

https://www.fireclaytile.com/gallery/detail/refreshing-blue-pantry/

• sas95
    7 years ago

I love the sea foam.

I did a blue-green floor in one of my baths with white wall tile. I thought of doing a white floor with a colored wall tile, but I'm glad I went the direction I did. Somehow the colored floor tile really grounds the room to me. If that makes sense. Plus, it's rarer to see people committing to an actual color for a floor these days, so I liked the feeling of doing something different.

rockybird thanked sas95
  • lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

With that wall, maybe this tile pattern.

The small uprights reflect the wall geometry.

rockybird thanked lazy_gardens
  • jmarino19
    7 years ago

We had a 8" white hex floor with 4x4" blue tiles in the tub-shower enclosure. (Granted the blue was not as bright or clear as the options you are considering. It was probably just a little darker than Caribbean.) It made me feel like the room was a little upside down, or unfinished. The white floor looked nice. But it couldn't hold up the blue walls. We are redoing the bathroom now. We opted for a light blue 1" square floor tile and white 4x4" tiles in the shower. We like all white. But with 2 big black labs and 3 kids we decided to do blue on the floor.

I can't find a photo. I'll keep looking.

rockybird thanked jmarino19
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all! Sorry for the delay. I was hoping to update with progress, but I am still perplexed! Fireclay is suggesting now a matte floor, maybe white, with a 4x4" stacked block tile light blue shower. I am wondering about a light gray matte hex floor with white shower? Jamarino19, if you find that pic please post it! I would love to see it! Mayflowers, the blue is beautiful. I want to do it, but I am so scared!

sas95 do you have any pics of your bathroom?

lazygardens-that is a beautiful tile design! I will definitely keep it in mind if I dont do the 4" tiles.

Also, I am going to check out this co. Tarbaka. They make terra cotta tiles that are beautiful and have a midcentury line. I really love this blue color:

Tabraka - Hexagon · More Info

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

That is a gorgeous color blue. Just be sure they can be used in a wet area. Some earthenware and some clays are not best suited for wet areas. I love blues that's why I picked them in my flood redo, I find them very relaxing.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Tabarka's tiles are beyond beautiful. the moment somebody says "Tabarka" i can't be objective anymore. I admire their work, they're outstanding in what they do. Their tiles are to die for.

so now I'm a) smitten b) seriously confused lol. Too many beautiful choices.

If you check them out..Do check the specs as per ravencajun's suggestion. I have terracotta floors in the bath as you probably remember (much simpler than Tabarka of course). I love it. Yet it does stain, chip, etc., more easily. Because of its very hand made rustic nature and matte appearance, it's still lovely, with all the imperfections. It can do that heavy lifting, you know..allow itself not to be perfect. But if you're going to use it-you need to know that and to be fine with it. You'll be careful of course-but it's not a given that whoever will be working on your bathroom will be. And there might be several people, some very careful but some less so. It eventually gets better though-with mopping etc. It should be cleaned with just water..but don't let it be really wet for a long time. Like, no standing water:) Normal wet is fine. Just wipe it afterwards.

Our shop gave us some of their stain, in case we need to touch up something. I wonder if Tabarka can do something similar. That's a seriously gorgeous blue..if it chips you'll see the body of the tile much more pronounced. Than I see in my tile, for example, since our stain differs from the body but not to such a great extent.

• engrgirl
    7 years ago

I've enjoyed watching your posts because I love your style, and I also have a mid-mod type of house that I'm slowly renovating and trying to walk the line between updated styling but also nod to the midcentury styling. Thank you for sharing!

I'd vote for white hex on the main bathroom floor, the three-toned mint/blue mix that you started this post with on the shower walls , and do a complementing but darker blueish/greenish shower floor- maybe something like the bottom row center tile on your "other colors" pic. This could have an effect simar to the blue-on-blue that is shown in your sample pic of the Crater Lake bathroom...

Also i think that if you can find two wall spaces in the bathroom to so the 3-tone mint/blue shower wall color it might help to balance the pop of color across the room. I don't know what floorplan you are going with, but I recall seeing one where you had the shower nearest the bedroom, a small wall between the tub and toilet room, and a back second vanity not on the window wall..... If that shower was the 3tone tiles, and then also do that tile combo either on the wall by the tub or the back second vanity behind/around the mirror? I feel like the color on the shower/tub/2nd vanity walls would draw the eye upwards and out those gorgeous windows, moreso than a colored floor that could attract the eye downwards....

rockybird thanked engrgirl
  • sas95
    7 years ago

Rockybird, this is our hall bath. It's much simpler than what you have planned, but our home is mid-century and I feel that the color combination fits the house. Personally, I don't see anything scary about putting a colored tile down on a floor, but I know opinions differ here.

rockybird thanked sas95
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

(i really like both options, there's no right or wrong here

practically-white floors would drive me crazy. i know that 'cause i had them for a couple years and they did drive me crazy (well they weren't exactly beautiful too)

but it is a gorgeous choice nevertheless, aesthetically speaking

as is the colored tile on the floor

you need to listen to your inner voice here i guess, rockybird. rather than ours..as nice as we are here..))

• namarie
    7 years ago

Rocky bird, isn't your plan to have a gorgeous huge window behind your vanity? I so, I think a predominantly white room would be stunning. Let the nature outside your window be the star, particularly with a walnut vanity. My mom has five inch matte white hex tiles in her bathrooms and has for years. Other than needing a grout touchup twenty years after moving in, they still look great.

rockybird thanked namarie
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

sas95 - what tile is that? I love your floor. is it green?

edited to add- I see above you say it is blue green. I am having a heck of a time finding green tile!

rockybird thanked Boopadaboo
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

(Boopadaboo was looking for it but i bookmarked it too ..for the very distant day we'll be redoing this kids' bath..thank you sas95))

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Raven and April-you were right...most of their tiles are not suited for bathrooms. I went to their showroom today. The only one they recommend is the tile they are suggesting for mcm. However, I loved the tile, but think I'll probably stay with fireclay.

engrgirl- I really appreciate your thoughts and I am seriously considering doing something just like that, except maybe run the hex floor into the shower. I also might add the tile to that back wall by the bathtub...just need to think about it some more. :)

sas95-gorgeous tile! I really love that color! What I mean by sacrey is that it's not a small space I will be tiling - almost 700 sq. Feet of colored tile, and very expensive tile at that (by my standards). So it is a big expensive commitment. If the space was smaller, I wouldnt hesitate to do a colored floor.

Namarie - i agree! I am still considering all white. I agree it would be pretty to just let the outdoor colors pop in.

What do you all think of the matte white hex with white grout? I really am not attracted to white floor hex tiles with dark grout. I just need to decide if I should do color in the shower or all white. I really think I am getting closer to a decision. I couldnt have done it without you guys!!!

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

I prefer matte and low gloss tiles to glossy because I'm an organic sort of girl. I'd go in that direction if your focus is on the outdoors.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks mayflowers! I agree! What do you think about this tile for the floor. FIreclay has some pics of it in mcm homes as backsplash. I'm not sure how it I would look butted up against shower with 4x4" block walls? It is 51/2 x4 1/2 inches. I am now seriously thinking of just doing all matte white and painting the back back block wall a bright color (green?) to match the succulents outside. It would only be visible when the door is open.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

i think this is one seriously gorgeous tile..given that's a shape i chose for my own bath lol. so i'm a bit too partial to it. together with that..i feel the tile on the walls should differ more from it, either by being different shape(say a rectangle rather than square?), or different (smaller?)size.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I went back and looked at the pics of your house, aprilneverends and your bathroom tile is beautiful! I really like the tile above. Your home is so perfectly done. I just love everything you did.

I am really thinking that I might just do a matte white shower and floor, maybe floor tile like above, and bring color in somewhere else...maybe paint the block wall in the toilet room a brings color or add a block of tile color under the island in the closet. Any thoughts on this scenario:

- the curvy tile above for floor, matte white

- matte white shower, tile shape undetermined

- bright paint color on block wall in toilet room (maybe green?)

- hang walnut shelves on four foot wall above bathtub (small staggered shelves) and place bright mcm colored objects

- add "rug" of colorful tile (green or turqoise) under island in master closet (maybe I will make/find island on legs that roll, exposed underneath)

- other possibility is to do shower niche in a pretty green or yellow tile

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

I've never seen arabesque on floors. Will the grout be cleanable with a steam mop? I have stain-resistant grout in my kitchen but it still need periodic cleaning separate from mopping. With those curved lines in white it would be a huge chore. But I don't have a steam mop. Personally, I think you need a bigger floor tile than that. The shape seems so far off from all the rectangular shapes of your home and your furnishings. I'd also want to know if matte shower tiles clean as well as glossy.

I like the idea of painting the block wall in one of the blue greens. I'm not sure where it is in the new bath and I keep forgetting about it.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

thank you rockybird, you're too kind. i have a lot of stuff to do in the house yet..well i'll get to it eventually i guess

i'm trying to read your plan..and i'm really poor in reading plans i must say. i can draw one..)) in elevation..)) but i need to think when i see other plans..like, for a long time. lets say much longer than it takes many other people in here

so. i need to think some more

you have so many wonderful possibilities...that what makes it hard

the only thing i'm able to say right away-it will be a pity if you add a "rug" in a very personal space where no one can see it by you. i mean i'd want for something like this to be seen more. but i realize it's very personal. my most favorite paintings right now is in the bedroom, and i don't really want "to show it" so to say. it's a very good work, so i realize it's a pity. but nevertheless..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I have to admit I am not a fan of the all white, I just like color so much. I personally think you were on the right path with the turquoise and blues. Look at the colors you picked for the pool. Pool tile is OK to use in showers too. Even if you don't use fireclay for the floor if you want a turquoise they don't carry you can use them in the other areas. I only allowed the use of the grout that doesn't need sealing and is not as prone to mold. We used Mapai flexcolor grout and matching caulk.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I recently saw these New Haven tiles in a bathroom and it was gorgeous, the back wall was this tile the rest was the solid white.

https://www.tileshop.com/product/615522-P.do

• rockybird thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX