SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boredy

Espresso Cabinet, Granite and Backsplash set up

boredy
9 years ago

Hello there,

I am going through almost the same stress that homeowners have been doing a remodel on the kitchen. I need some thoughts, help or suggestions.

We have chosen the espresso shaker style cabinet and after 2 months of granite searching, we have narrowed down to 2 choices. Which granite do you think matches the cabinet better? Also I like the attached backsplash for the Delicatus cream. Thoughts? What type of backsplash goes well with either one of the 2 granites? Our kitchen area is approx 400sq ft, It's a 7 shape kitchen and there is a bay window on the sink area.

#1: Espresso Cabinet with Delicatus Cream
#2: Espresso Cabinet with Hawaiian Bordeaux.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (45)

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the picture of Hawaiian Bordeaux.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the backsplash I am thinking of using for the #1 granite, Delicatus Cream.

• Related Discussions

Quick Poll: Full backsplash or short granite backsplash?

Q

Comments (18)
    From what I can tell, full tile backsplashes in kitchens are a fairly recent trend (with some exceptions -- see the 1928 bungalow thread -- though that was more a tiled room than a backsplash per se). When your corners aren't quite square, it makes countertop installation easier if there is a 1" thick backsplash to cover any gap between the countertop and wall. That said, I agree with the pp's that the short backsplash currently looks a bit dated. That might change in time. After all, I don't know anyone in real life who has put in a new kitchen with no backsplash at all, but I have seen some beautiful no-backsplash kitchens on this forum... maybe that will be the next trend. [grin] I haven't decided about the backsplash for when/if we redo our kitchen. We are old enough and have been in our house long enough to take the long view, so probably we will do something that's either relatively timeless (i.e. white tile) or easily changed.
    ...See More

Granite Backsplash with Tile BS or just Tile Backsplash???

Q

Comments (6)
    My granite supplier advised using tile from the granite up (no granite back splash). She could have advised the other way and made a little more money, so I think she advised based on her honest opinion. I also like the "no granite back splash" look better. Just guessing, I'd say the only reason to use the 4" granite back splash would be if you weren't going to use any other back splash at all (a more low-budget option, in my opinion).
    ...See More

BackSplash Choices, long story, lots of pics!

Q

Comments (14)
    Oh my -- do you have to pick so theoretically? That is, can you get much of the other stuff up and running so that you can see the context a little better, set the tiles up against the counter with the floor in sight and choose *then*? ~one who's expert at delaying choices as long as possible. Speaking of which, it's pulls-time....
    ...See More

Backsplash on top of granite 4in backsplash

Q

Comments (5)
    Bill has posted some pictures of this before. I found some in what I believe to be a portfolio of his. Personally I believe it can work, but I much prefer to tile the whole backsplash and did just that in our remodel. My contractor tried to get me to do the 4 inch only or tile above it, but I didn't like the look. There is one advantage to the 4" backsplash. Granite/quartz creates a very tight dirt and liquid (essentially) impervious corner where the wall and counter meet. If you use tile that corner won't be quite as straight, neat or "impervious", but I don't think it's much of an issue. - Jim Here is a link that might be useful: Some 4
    ...See More
  • Gemcap
    9 years ago

As you're asking for opinions, here's mine.

I prefer the second granite - Hawaiian Bordeaux.The first looks schizophrenic. With either of the granites though, the backsplash should complement and enhance. Right now the backsplash and the 1st granite clash and don't complement the cabinet colour. Try it with a a pale cream colour and see how it looks.

Couple of random thoughts: Remember that when granite is cut to size and laid horizontal, it loses a lot of the oomph factor you see when looking at a 10 feet long 5 feet tall slab propped up vertically.
    Colour preferences reflect personalities. It's your kitchen. What I love may be something you hate and vice versa. If you love bright colours and they pick you up, go for it and ignore all the naysayers.

• sas95
    9 years ago

Of the two, I would choose the second. I don't like the first slab at all. The backsplash is too busy for either granite. If you go with a busy granite you need a plain backsplash. If you want a busier backsplash you should find a plain counter.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Another vote for the Hawaiian Bordeaux, it is lovely and I think many backsplashes would complement it. Do you have some inspiration photos, or a description (Sweeby test) of the look or mood you want in your kitchen? Are there colors used in adjacent rooms which should be considered? Have you chosen flooring?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby test

• User
    9 years ago

Prefer the second. Don't see any of the back splash colors in the granite so I'm puzzled about that choice.

• User
    9 years ago

My friend has very dark espresso cabinets and I really like the granite and backsplash combo she chose. Here it is. I don't know the exact name of the granite, but it looks similar to the second on in the posting.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I think the second choice, the Hawaiian Bordeaux, is beautiful and a perfect complement to your cabinets. The first granite is too frantic for me but maybe you like that. Although I am not a subway tile gal, you might consider it if you go with that first option...I think you will need something much quieter than the tile you picked out.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Huh, goes to show how tastes differ.
    I like the first one more as it has a WOW factor to it and the second is more quiet.

Strayer, your friends granite like looks like it is NVG, giallo napoli, or maybe Santa Cecelia. They all have a similar look and it can be difficult to tell them apart unless you are right on top of them.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I think the Hawaiian Bordeaux looks beautiful with your cabinets. Wait to choose your backsplash until your cabinets & granite are installed. Best to look at samples with the lighting in your kitchen & the granite horizontal and in smaller pieces.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone, Thank you for your kind response.

I haven't chosen a floor tile yet, as I want to pick out the granite first. I am likely to pick porcelain tile over Travertine (my fav) since I have 3 medium sized dogs roaming around. My favorite is the #1 picture I love the cream hue and the quartz on that piece. My other half initially picked the Hawaiian Bordeaux. I think the Hawaiian bordeaux has too much brown in there. I like a contrasting countertop. The backsplash is just a thought.. I would love to hear any suggestions re backsplash. I will post several views of the 2 stones. Oh I have a 6 X 3 island I can display the "wow" of the delicatus cream.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the other view of the stone

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of the Hawaiian Bordeaux. This picture looks lighter than the actual stone. The actual stone has more brown hues.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the granite, tile and backsplash combo the contractor had it set up. The granite he used is "gold persa" however it does not come close to the actual gold persa we saw at the slab yard. The gold persa on the set up has more cream in it, the color is more like delicatus cream. Somehow this piece of stone I posted is also delicatus cream. I fell in love with that blue quartz and that section is for my 6 X 3 island.

What do you think about this setup? Do you think the floor tile compliments either of the 2 stones? I like that floor tiles alot.

What type of back splash do you recommend for either of these 2 stones? We prefer contrast than blending. My kitchen is approx 350 sq ft, and only 1/2 of the kitchen gets alot of natural light which unfortunately is the opposite side of the room where the counters are. It's an "7" shaped kitchen and has a bay window where the sink is.
    Thank you.

This post was edited by boredy on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:15

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes.. one question.. Ideally is the countertop suppose to match or contrast the cabinets? What about the backsplash? Please post any pictures to help me out. thank you again.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i personally love the delicatus but you cant go wrong with the bordeaux either. the backsplash will take the eye away from your centerpiece counter so i would stay very neutral on the backsplash.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

As to whether the counter should contrast or match, it is a personal choice.

Bear in mind that a lot of the people on this board right now are getting white cabinets and quiet marble or quartz counters so they probably aren't going to like a high detail granite.

Choose what works for you but it really is best if you pick one feature to be loud and eye catching and let everything else coordinate with it.

If you love the delicatus cream, then get it! But I would pick a different back splash.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

If you love that backsplash then go for it, but IMO, it's too busy for both granites. IMO, busy countertops and busy backsplashes almost always clash. Your backsplash choice is definitely bold. The only way I would consider that backsplash is if my countertops were solid without any movement or specks...

• annettacm
    9 years ago

I love a busier granite... so I love your choice. I am not fond of that backsplash as I don't think any of those colors are represented in any of your other materials. I think a busy backsplash and a busy granite is like wearing stripes and polkadots with paisleys. Too much. Nothing will be a focal point. Keep the backsplash simple.

• User
    9 years ago

"Do you think the floor tile compliments either of the 2 stones?"

No. Please don't take any more design advice from your contractor. Oy vey! The tile is pink. The granite has a yellow undertone. You're going to need to learn about and pay attention to undertones. Go to a tile store and find a company with a lot of colors like Sonoma Tilemakers and take out all the beiges. What color are they? They are not all beige. Or do the same with off-white paint chips.

Here's my quartz and tile. The colors read pink in photos so it's not true to life, but see how the undertones match? They are not made by the same company but they feel like they could be on a sample board together. Parallel planes of stone that don't compete with each other. No movement paired with movement. You are on the right track with your quiet tile, but the undertones are off.

• annac54
    9 years ago

I agree with the previous poster, the floor has a pinkish undertone and the stone and backsplash have yellow. They will always look off together. The backsplash is very interesting, but I think too busy for either of the granites.

Go to Houzz.com and search for delicatus granite and take a while to look at the different backsplashes and color tones with the granite. There are several there with a counter with a yellow undertone and a backsplash with pink. Also how a busy backsplash works with that type of granite. Don't worry about the cabinet colors, just concentrate on the relationship between the stone and any other tile or flooring surface.

• jesshs
    9 years ago

I love the Delicatus! Concur with others that I would pick a simpler backsplash.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

The backsplash is too busy, remember the person just a while back that had to redo their super busy backsplash? I just do not care at all for that glass looking tile anyway and then with all those busy colors I just think it would not do your counters any justice. I like the second choice as far as granite. Something simple like Strayer posted is nice, could be darker.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I love the Delicatus too as has a wow factor. Second one is a bit ordinary. Let that beautiful granite be the wow factor with a simple tile with some interest. I don't care for that tile with either of your granite choices.

I have Absolute Cream granite with similar creamy tones and used beveled subway tile that has variegated shading of darker cream on the flat area and on edges.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

You would do better with someone at the tile store helping coordinate options and show you things. The person doing the setup for you hasn't a clue. Scarey stuff.

I like both stones in the photos but the cabinet color looks considerably different in each. The first looks to be for a very artsy personality and the second is more traditional.

Don't decide quickly. Work on other materials or projects and come back to it a few times. The longer period of time to rest on it, the better. (Not talking days).

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love both granites and feel the first one you love will look very nice with the cabinets if it is the star and you have a much more neutral backsplash. I love the dark rich cabinets. Just be sure to have a lot of light in the kitchen. My neighbors did cabinets like yours and her backsplash is neutral. The kitchen is stunning.

• poohpup
    9 years ago

I totally hear you on the bold granites. I chose a very bold granite for my kitchen (Magma Supreme) and absolutely love it. Still makes me happy every single time I look at it after two years. I think either granite you've chosen will work. The Delicatus Cream is beautiful and dramatic but the Hawaiian Bordeaux makes your cabinets sing! I think they look gorgeous together.

I've got to agree with everyone else that the BS tile doesn't work. I don't see that going with either granite selection. The colors just aren't working.

Same with that floor tile. May_Flowers is totally right. That floor tile is reading pink and your counters are more yellow. I hate to say it, but they look awful together. And then to throw in that tile. Yikes. Not working. At all.

I would caution you to wait on the BS until after your cabinets and counters are in. I thought I had the perfect BS tile already picked out. Then the counters went in and my BS choice went belly up. It looked awful! The warm, rich color of the tile turned muddy and awful against the large expanse of granite. Once those counters are in, you'll have a much better idea what is going to work. And I don't think you'll be, hmmmm . . . . choosing my words very carefully here, stuck using a plain subway tile just because you have a busy granite. You'll just need to find something that is harmonious with your granite. That BS you're showing fights with your granite instead of working with it. I think the photo that strayer shared is a perfect example of how a patterned BS tile can work with a counter that isn't plain. The pattern is very soft and doesn't fight the counter.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I much prefer the second granite, the first one I don't care for. No to the back splash and no to the floor tile and definitely agree that your contractor needs to stay away from the set ups. Lots and lots of choices out there and you don't want to make a bad one you will have to live with, take time and keep asking!
    I love the cabinets.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Everyone! Thank you for all the overwhelming responses. I have yet to read and digest all of yall comments. Umm.. The floor tiles the contractor laid on the floor is not pick.. it is somewhat cream in color. The picture does not quite reflect the tile floor. I think all of you are correct with the BS. It does NOT MATCH! I knew I can count on yall. I have posted another picture of the floor tile. Hope this gives a better perspective. It is almost like may_flowers's floor tile picture posted. I will continue to respond tomorrow as I am out of town till Friday.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this BS today.. What do yall think? I believe we have decided on the Delicatus Cream.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Both granites are beautiful. The delicatus cream is definitely bold, but I like it. I totally agree with the rest, let that be the star. The first backsplash, totally too much going on there, would look awful with the granite IMO, sorry. As for the latest one, still too busy. The tones are more subdued, which is better, but the delicatus cream is too bold to pair with anything but the simplest of backsplashes.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

The selections you are coming up with to coordinate with the counters are not complementary. You truly need a designer to guide and show you things that will work, especially since you don't want something plain on the backsplash. Even with something plain you need help with getting the undertones right. It seems your taste might be eclectic. That is not an easy one to pull off successfully.

• User
    9 years ago

Nothing is ever cream or beige or any single color. There are always undertones. You need to recognize them. Wait until the granite is installed and then bring the samples home, take pics, and post them.

Your second backsplash selection will look like this homeowners, which she tore out after the consensus here was it was too busy. Yours will be even busier because you have more colors in your granite and bs than she does.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I love both granites and they both go well with the cabinets. What I learned when I did my kitchen is the one star rule. Both of these granites are stars, so the backsplash need to be very quiet. How about a solid color with tiles that are stacked or have a shape?
    There is so much to love out there, and it is so hard to edit. I have a busy stone and solid glass subways for the bs. I had added a border to my bs because I loved the little mosaics so much. It took 10 minutes for me to see what a big mistake I made. The mosaics had to be ripped out. The stone is the star and the simple bs enhances it. I still love the mosaics, but not in my kitchen.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this BS today.. What do yall think? I believe we have decided on the Delicatus Cream.

{{!gwi}}

• romy718
    9 years ago

The backsplash redo for the above kitchen may_flowers posted. The granite is now the star & you can appreciate how beautiful it is.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello there,

We have decided on the Splendor Cream, and after weeks of searching the floor tiles, this is my first choice. What do you think? Does it match with my granite and counter top? Any suggestions/advise is great. I have a 2nd choice too, will also post here.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture #2 of my First choice.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture #3 of the first choice. We have decided on the 12 X 24 instead of 18 X 18. My kitchen area is 250 sq ft.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my second choice. Thoughts?

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture #2 of 2nd Choice.

• boredy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3rd picture of 2nd Choice. Thoughts? thank you.

• User
    9 years ago

Hard to say if it works without the tile being photographed with the slab. Did you do that check? That sealed it for us. If you can put the tile sample in front of the slab and not see anything that looks off, you're good! Would like to see that photo!

But I think the soft flowing lines of the first choice is better than the very modern, rigid lines of the second. I think either will read pretty much as a solid, so there's no advantage to using the second for less competing pattern with the granite. The gray in the tiles should be fine, and the cream seems to be a little peachy like the granite. The granite is very peachy, so you wouldn't want that in your floor tile.

• User
    9 years ago

I would also try some tiles with some darker gray areas. Your cabinets can handle it. It will help ground the space and hide dirt (also enable you to use a darker grout). Your lighting might be washing out the colors on your first choice--can't see much of the pattern--which makes it feel like it'd be suited for a bathroom. Both choices seem a little bathroomy to me. A darker gray would masculine it up more, important because of the peach in the granite.