SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Pantry cold feet: I've planned mine!

aliris19
12 years ago

Hi everyone! There's a thread I'd like to revisit from a while ago when I was trying to finish up my kitchen plans and had left the pantry, with little energy and less imagination. You-all were very encouraging with lots of threads to offer and pictures for inspiration. Some asked whether I would please post back afterwards and so here we go.

Here's my starting place: an opening 102"h (8'-6") x 31"d x 64"w . It is off a hallway across from the open doorway to the kitchen itself.

I started out with many drawers planned in and then realized how very expensive they were. At that price I could buy some snazzy RevAShelf inserts, even. I wound up with something a little like what Marcolo had suggested. I liked that the RAS inserts allowed for deep shelves behind the fold out section. I can put my large bins of flour in there.

Also for the flour I planned a wide shelf pullout. It fits the flour bins well though it's not really very easy to put one on the lower shelf. Moreover flipping back behind the RAS piano-hinged swing shelves isn't the easiest maneuver in the world, but I'm still happy with it.

Here's an overall shot. The countertop is high, about bar-ish height, I forget precisely, but it works well for standing and using a laptop at:

It's not completely done yet, hence the construction stuff all over still. The pullout drawer on the right (there's a shot to follow below) doesn't extend the full depth so to use that space I'm going to put a strip of plugmold against the back wall below the height of the tall counter for chargers. Then I'll run their cords up through a hole drilled in the countertop for the purpose.

I like how the small strip of wood on the upper shelves for security purposes came out. There was an unbelievable amount of drama surrounding this, what turned out to be a very simple solution. I was talking with lamp turnings places for brass turnings, and on and on. In the end this was simple and I hope will be a little effective at keeping all that glass from walking off the shelf edges too quickly in a mild temblor. Major ones and all bets are off.

I love having all my glass jars of staples handy. They used to be stuffed into a couple lower cabinets and I would have to kneel down and unpack the cabinets each and every time I wanted something. Phew. This is so nice. I may feel differently after the first earthquake.

The shelves are fixed in height; larger up above then two at the same height and a larger down below to fit a couple very tall glass jars I have.

I hadn't originally planned on putting books up high but I think this will work out.

The closet door on the right got fitted with an inset cabinet door. At first they mounted it as if the wall were a cabinet box, so the door stuck into the hallway. I tried to accept it but in the end it just looked bad to me and I asked that they recess it, which they graciously did. I'm glad I stuck up for that change.

Here's some of my favorite features: (1) massive drawer below for linen tablecloths. I've never had one large enough not to have to fold them too many times. I've got plastic ones in there right now! (2) a whole drawer on the left for cookie cutters! (3) a whole drawer for cake decorating supplies (4) a drawer deep enough (bottom one) for tall cereal boxes.

And now for the groovy parts -- the RevAShelf components. The middle doors swing out and inside are shelves that are on piano hinges to swing aside as well. In the back are tall deep shelves that fit my #25 flour buckets. Yeah!

On the right is a pullout shelf device that's wide enough to also fit a large flour bucket:

Having been away from my kitchen for two years, things are really not up to speed in it at the moment. I'm a little shocked to spy items that in times past I would never have allowed through the front door. And that nestlé bag prominently displayed is a little dismaying also. I think I'm supposed to be boycotting them. But who else makes teensy chocolate chips? It's amazing what camping out does for one's scruples. Mea culpa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry cold feet: can you help me plan mine?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths