SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dominos

I have cold feet (pics of plans included)!!

dominos
12 years ago

Hi all -

We have paid for arch and eng plans for a small addition/remodel to our 1950s home in California but I am having an attack of cold feet. We will for sure be in this house for the next 3-5 years, possibly longer depending on the economy/real estate market, schools, etc. We have 3 kids (11, 8, 3). So the house needs to work for our family now but we don't want to overpersonalize it so much we can't ever resell in the future. The homes in this area are not huge but it is a good school district.

The home is not of any particular style - it was a small (1200 sq ft) home built in the 1950s and then the downstairs (which includes a family room, office, and bath - 700 sq ft) was remodeled about a decade ago. Here's the current floorplan (K = kitchen 10x14, D=dining, 7x9):

Our goals for this remodel are:

- more open kitchen (I feel like a servant in there going back and forth to the dining table and conversation with people in dining/living is difficult with the wall there) with better prep space, storage and finishes (realtor agrees it needs updating).

- An additional bath space upstairs (ideally this would have been a full bath but there just wasn't room in the footprint so we have compromised with a half bath). We have 3 kids and we all sleep on the main floor (upstairs). Therefore there are 5 of us often fighting for the main bath. Our plan is for kids to get dressed, teeth, etc in this half bath and shower downstairs so we can have somewhat of a "master")

- We can only add square footage in the front (porch) and a little bit on the side of the house due to lot/setback issues.

So here's the plan we agreed to:

The island will be turned 90 degrees vs the picture.

We have debated a whole or half wall to the left of the front door to create more of an entry and a matching cased opening to the one leading to the kitchen (symmetry!)

Dotted line is current house footprint.

My cold feet are:

- We are moving from a living/dining room to a kitchen/dining room . For my family this will be great - more sociable space for cooking, homework, etc, less distance from table to fridge, etc. The new plan has a similar sized (7x9) dining area that encroaches on a walkway (current plan does as well) and a similar sized kitchen but with better storage (island, etc). Plus more of an entry and an open view from living to kitchen. I think anyone else looking at this home would have kids and similar needs to mine but am I going too far? Does it look OK?

If I am making a huge error- I'm not sure what my other options are with our needs. The only other plan we considered puts the dining table further into the living room (where front door is now) and has the front door next to the kitchen (aligned with the hall doorway at the top of the stairs). But in that case you basically walk into the kitchen when you enter the house. And I still have my family eating somewhere that is 10-12 feet from the food/fridge, etc. Just not sure about the trade offs.

I need some objective feedback. I crossposted on kitchens to finalize the kitchen cab layout and started to get some feedback there that led me here.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (29)