SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Pantry cold feet: can you help me plan mine?

aliris19
13 years ago

At the 11th hour I'm having second thoughts about what I'd planned for my pantry.

Here's my starting place: an opening 102"h (8'-6") x 31"d x 64"w . It is off a hallway across from the open doorway to the kitchen itself.

Jumping-off point: I cook mostly from scratch with lots of big bins of flour and many, many clear jars (many old juice jars) of dried beans and then several dozen of those clear glass metal-snap old-time canning jars (there must be some name for the type) with pretty (to me) colored beans and pulses and grains. These are of varying sizes from 3" to 12" high, mostly squarish, some round. I had been thinking it would be pretty to arrange these on upper U-shaped open shelves so they would be visible and accessible.

SO. I had planned drawers in two stacks to a tall height below a counter of about 42"h in one 40"w stack and one 24"w stack.

But I have been worried all along about planning to put dry packaged, bagged and canned goods in a drawer -- you can't really see from on top what's going on in there and there's a tendency, I should think, of everything to just pile up ... it doesn't seem a very convenient solution.

OTOH I've always thought those giant pantry-designed pull-outs while cool, look kinda scary. I'm afraid the stuff would all tip over and out when you haul open the doors, and/or that you'd lose a ton of space up top of the narrow shelves because you needed that empty space in order to lift stuff out, yet then there would be all that wasted air. A friend of mine put one of these in and hasn't stopped complaining about it for 10 years. So I decided against using the pull-out pantry devices.

But -- maybe I was too hasty about this? Do *you* like your pull-out pantry? Don't packages fall out when you open the doors? Are they heavy to heft open? Do they get messy?

Do you have any good ideas of how to design this space?

As far as doors go, I opted out of doing something behind doors because I'm worried about open doors sticking out into the walkway. There isn't room to make a pocket door. I hate folding doors with a passion -- too many icky scary colonial-style tract houses with dank scary closets sporting accordian doors in my youth I think.

However, I am absolutely open to hearing any ideas whatsoever. I would really like to know if you have an idea you think might work with these constraints (size, walkway-adjacent, glass-jar storage).

TIA!!

Comments (13)