SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fisheggs_gw

Old pantry removal...getting cold feet!

fisheggs
16 years ago

Okay all you home renovator extraordinaires out there....We need help!

Here is the little pantry we are pulling out: about 27" deep and 52" wide

In the attic above, there is nothing going up to the roof above this room - just empty space above the ceiling joists. The handyman who came in to give us a quote on adding plumbing here took one look at the pantry and said "oh, that's not structural.

However, after I removed the drywall from the front side, I was met with this:

Isn't that an awfully sturdy-looking header for a door in a non-load-bearing-wall? Should we NOT remove this? Or do they just build non-structural doorways sturdy like that so that they won't rack and let the door get out of alignment?

We still have time to cry a bit and put new drywall up....remember, the guy who is going to cut holes in our exterior walls for windows told us to just demo this ourselves rather than paying him to do it. So it *shouldn't* be bad, I'm just second guessing everything now.

Here's another view. The doorway to the right is in the wall that leads to the kitchen. THAT wall runs across the house and is definitely structural. The pantry is about 5' wide, and we aren't removing the walls on either side, just two short walls within that rectangular space.

Comments (5)