SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Speak now or forever hold your peace!

peace_rose
13 years ago

After a zillion different layouts and a winter's worth of minor delays we are *this close* to ordering the cabinets!!! We've built a 15'x23' addition where we are relocating the kitchen/dining room. We've got the electrical and plumbing roughed in, and the dry wall is up. I'm not looking for major layout changes; there's just a few areas that need some tweaking:

1. Those 30" base cabinets on either side of the stove. Can anyone make a good argument for roll out trays? As it turns out, drawers are not all that much more expensive. But should I get base cabs with 2 or 3 drawers? Would it look off-balance if I did one of each? (I'm planning on storing pots/pans/tupperware/serving bowls/casserole dishes/mixing bowls and hot pads near the stove, but not food). I'm wondering if the 2 drawer cabs are too deep and if we'll wind up with wasted space? My hunch is to get one of each; can anyone confirm my hunch or challenge me on that?

2. Question about FORM: The ceiling is 8' high behind the stove but vaults to about 13' high in the middle of the room. Here's a pic of the stove wall:

Partial view of the Sink Wall:

And the Pantry Wall:

I'm trying to figure out how to gracefully place the molding at the top of the cabinets because there will be a gradually increasing space between the top of the molding and the ceiling. Any thoughts?

3. Question about FORM: I intended to place a glass fronted cabinet above the DW, but the cabinet company doesn't offer them in 24" wide. But they do offer them in 18" which would work on both sides of the stove. Any opinions on which place would look better for glass fronted cabs? (I think my husband could ultimately modify a 24" cab but he would really grumble about it). But if you think it would look better above the DW where my dishes will be, please say so!

It's exciting to be this close. We broke ground last August, so working on the finishing touches is both exhilarating and nerve-wracking!

Thanks GW friends!

Comments (25)