SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Fall Swap - 2010 What are you bringing? What do you want?

Ok, heres the place to post what you are, or hope to be, bringing, and for everyone to ask for dibs on the things that are posted.

You can also post a wish list for things youd really like to have, then, if somebody has any of the things youre looking for they can let you know if they can bring you a start of whatever it is!

Ill start it off with the few things Ive potted up over the last couple weeks. Ill post small pictures to help keep the thread shorter, but you can click on any of them to get the bigger version! This time Im going to put the quantity available in parentheses after the name, since putting it in front of the name was confusing people last time!

Acanthus hungaricus (7)

Acanthus hungaricus (balcanicus), Bears Breeches 36" X 24" Sun or shade Lavender Jul-Aug z5

Thistle-like foliage is soft to the touch, but flower spikes have sharp spines. Reseeds some.

Agastache foeniculum (4)

Agastache foeniculum, Anise Hyssop, Licorice Mint 24-36" X 24" Sun Lavender Jul-Aug z5

Culinary and ornamental herb, strong licorice scent, use for teas and in baking. Reseeds prolifically. Attracts bees.

~ I dont have a picture of this oneand its not a particularly pretty plant, but if you want licorice flavor to cook with or make tea, this is the plant you want!

Alcea rosea, mixed (5)

Alcea rosea - mixed colors, single hollyhock 60" X 24" Full sun mixed Jun-Sep z4

This is technically a biennial, but mine always develop new plants at the base that bloom the next year. Reseeds very easily.

Crocosmia Lucifer (2)

Crocosmia Lucifer 30" X 30" Sun red-orange Jun-Jul z5

Stunning red-orange flowers create a wonderful focal point, fleshy roots spread somewhat underground.

Sedum kamtschaticum Variegatum (4)

Sedum kamtschaticum Variegatum 6" X 18"+ Full sun yellow Jun-Jul z4

Groundcover, will continue to spread anywhere its in contact with soil. Not evergreen, xeric.

Usual note with the hen & chicks! Since I dont know the variety name of most of my hen & chicks, I assign letters to each so I have a way to distinguish them from each other. Get out your sheet that I passed out at the Spring Swap to keep track of which you already got, and please only request varieties you dont already have so I can spread the different varieties around to as many different people as possible. At this swap I will have at least a couple varieties I havent had before, and "I", below, is one of them! Will be doing more soon! I will for sure have at least a couple of the "two-tone" one this time (labeled "L"), and may have a couple of the Cobweb. Can easily do more Icicle too if more than two people still want them!

Sempervivum Icicle (2)

Sempervivum - "I" (4) (Its the chartreuse one on the right in this picture!)

Ill for sure also have at least a couple of the fragrant Aquilegia chrysantha, some of the Ajugas, Royalty, and Chocolate Chip, and plan to pot up a couple of a new Ajuga, Black Scallop. As usual, Ill have at least a few of each of the different sedums I have, and Im not sure what else yet! If you want dibs on any of the things I posted above, or any of the things I havent actually potted up yet, let me know. With the Ajugas and the Sedums, it helps if I know there are a bunch of people who want them since I can pot up pretty much however many I need of those things.

Amaryllis, I have you down for an Anemone sylvestris, but when it comes to the Campanula, I recommend you take Amy up on her offer to give you one. Mine has been flopped on all summer by a tall babys breath that isnt getting enough sun, so its lookin kind of sickly right now, and Im not sure if I could successfully get a start off of it or not.

Amy, have you ever tried to dig up a Callirhoe? If theyre bigger than small seedlings, Im not sure its gonna work for you. After the first year or so, those things have the biggest tap roots Ive ever seen. Ill be curious to see what happens when you try it!

For those of you that have already mentioned things youre planning to bring over on the regular swap thread, please come list them here too, to make it easier to keep track of who has what and who wants what!

Come post what you hope to bring!

Come ask for the things youd like to have!

Skybird

Comments (63)

• mstywoods
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm looking for irises with the traditional bright purple/blue colors. gjmancini - are yours that type? If so, would love to have some if you have enough. A darker purple colored type would be nice as well, though.

jclepine - I have you down for some of my light purple iris. I should have enough for a few others, if anyone is interested. I may have some additional iris, color unknown, as well. Also, if your crab apple seedlings take, I'd like one of those.

Thanks!
    Marj

• amester
    13 years ago

Ok, Redley - I've got you down for iris. Mine have deep lavender standards, purple falls and yellow beards - they are mid-season blooming and fragrant. Any other takers, just let me know!

GJmancini/Mstywoods - I have you down for daylily divisions. I think my 'Stoplight' could take a divide so that would be a red for you both. I have a couple of stunning reds that aren't ready for division yet (Red Volunteer and Crimson Shadows) but I'll keep an eye on them for future swaps. If anyone wants a specific color of daylily (Serpentmoon, Polygonum?) just let me know and I'll see what I can do, though it's mostly the peach and yellows that are ready for dividing.

I also just realized I have a pile of seedlings from Skybird's yellow columbine - it blooms like crazy and is the easiest, happiest columbine I grow. Let me know if anyone wants one.

I'll keep checking in weekly or so and earmarking. :)

• Related Discussions

wanted: 2010 fall mag swap: plants you have list

Q

Comments (11)
    Buddleia (regular) Campanula Punctata Chives Garlic Chives Creeping Jenny English Ivy Giant Hyssop Gold Creeping Jenny Lipstick (?) Strawberry Maximillian Sunflower Mint Mondarda, pale lilac/lavender tall Nepeta Walker�s Low Peach Tall Bearded Iris Persicaria, Lance Corporal Scabiosa Blue Button Rose of Sharon (white w/reddish middle) Sedum Acre Shasta Daisy Alaska Shasta Daisy Becky Sundrops (OENOTHERA Tetragona) Variegated Vinca Major Vinca Major Vinca Minor Yarrow Various Colors mostly white and pink Yellow Evening Primrose (Oenothera�Tall, aggressive) Yellow Fern-leaf Tansy Offer of shovel tour (I have a lot more to share, but I am not currently up for digging a lot up. (e.g., ornamental grasses, tall garden phlox, hostas, azaleas, daylilies, etc.) Jen
    ...See More

wanted: food and stuff list for the 2010 fall mag swap

Q

Comments (9)
    I know people have brought zucchini chocolate bread (like a cake really), but I don't remember zucchini fudge. I'll bring fudge brownies, probably with nuts or rum.
    ...See More

Swap What are you bringing? What do you want?

Q

Comments (150)
    Amserelda: I'd like some hens and chicks, please, to add to my collection. I'm not picky -- anything will do! Serpent Moon and I appreciate the Crown of Thorns cuttings -- she has already requested it for us. Would you like a cutting of Euphorbia trigona? Skybird: We already have some sedums from you, from the fall swap. I'm not sure what Serpent Moon has requested, but I'm fine with you giving some of them to others who request them. ---------- The tomatoes I planted a few weeks ago are still sprouting. I take back whatever I said about the potentially low germination of the Costoluto Fiorentino tomato seeds. Even though I saved the seeds over a decade ago, they are still in good shape. I have 3-4 seedlings per pot, of the 3-4 seeds planted per pot. If you are careful, you might be able to separate out the seedlings and pot them up separately. I don't think any have their first set of true leaves yet. If anyone wants seeds for them, please let me know and I'll package up some for you. Ditto for the seeds from the cherry tomatoes I grew last year from Plant Swap plants -- Black Cherry, Sun Cherry, and Riesentraub. All seem to be germinating well this spring. Costoluto Fiorentino looks a lot like Costoluto Genovese, for those who are wondering. It's a medium to large sized tomato with lots of ribs, rather like an accordion. They're a booger to peel if you're making sauce. The flavor is quite reasonable, and they grew well in my Oregon garden (coolish dry summers, fairly short season). The original seed came from Sementi, a gift from a friend who had visited Italy. I'll go through the thread this evening to write down names of people who've requested specific things. I'll make coleus and geranium cuttings tomorrow, plus maybe a few Euphorbia trigona cuttings in case anyone wants a thorny but vigorous succulent as a houseplant. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!
    ...See More

WANTED: wanted: lists of what you're bringing to cny swap!

Q

Comments (1)
    drop
    ...See More
  • Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, Im gonna try to get updated here too! Actually, I started working on this post a week agoand still havent found time to finish it!

I posted this over on the regular swap thread, but Im gonna start here with it too. Since I wont be able to come to the Fall Swap, Im going to need somebody to take the plants Im getting ready. Ill need them picked up, hopefully by the 5th, but no later than the 6th for sure. Since theyre in small cups, whoever gets them will need to watch them for water for a few days before the swap. And since that would be too early to put the earmarked things in separate bags like I usually do, I guess Ill just need to mark the individual pots with who theyre for.

Im on the north end of Denver at 120th and Colorado Blvd. Its only about 2½ miles east of I25, so pretty easy to get to.

If anybody can do this, please PM me, or email me if you have my address.

Here are the things Ive managed to get potted up in the last couple weeks!

Ajuga reptans Arboretum Giant [2]
    Ajuga reptans Arboretum Giant, Bugleweed 12" X 24"+ Sun or shade Lavender May-Jun z3
    Evergreen to semi-evergreen, will continue to spread if in contact with soil, spreads near surface so controllable. Large leaves with a very narrow purple margin when in enough sun, mostly plain green in shade. Largest variety of Ajuga.
    I still dont have a good picture of the full size leaves on this one, but heres the flowers!

Ajuga reptans Black Scallop [7]
    Ajuga reptans Black Scallop, Bugleweed 12" X 24"+ Sun or shade Lavender May-Jun z3
    Evergreen to semi-evergreen, will continue to spread if in contact with soil, spreads near surface so controllable. Very dark, scallopy looking leavescolor deepens with more sun.

Ajuga reptans Chocolate Chip I havent actually potted these up yet, ran out of time, but Ill have at least 4 or 5 of them.
    Ajuga reptans Chocolate Chip 3-4" X 18"+ Sun or shade Lavender May-Jun z3
    Miniature bugleweed, evergreen to semi-evergreen, will continue to spread if in contact with soil, spreads near surface so controllable. Bronzy-green foliagecolor deepens with more sun. Smallest variety of Ajuga.

Ajuga reptans Royalty [8]
    Ajuga reptans Royalty, Bugleweed 4-6" X 24"+ Sun or shade Lavender May-Jun z3
    Evergreen to semi-evergreen, will continue to spread if in contact with soil, spreads near surface so controllable. Ruffled bronze/burgundy foliagecolor deepens with more sun.

Angelica [1] this is a small one I found coming up where I dug up the whole plant last yeareither from a piece of root that was left or from a seed! Its tiny!
    Angelica species unknown! I got it at the very first Spring Swap but its the herb form!
    (Its probably A. archangelica) Queen Anne type flowers are very prettybut I think they stink!
    Tap rootedplant it where its gonna stay! Blooms early/mid summer. Not at all xeric!

Perovskia atriplicifolia [1] this is a seedling I found coming up in a remote place from my original Russian Sage! I dont have any idea how it got there, but I dont want it there so I dug it up and potted it! Its tiny!
    Perovskia atriplicifolia, Russian Sage 48" X 36" Full sun Lavender Jul-Sep z4
    Does best in dry, poor soil in FULL sun. Xeric, do not feed.

I havent had time to actually pot these up yet, but Ive cut these two sedums all the way down, so I have a whole pile of cuttings and could pot up a bunch of each of these! Since I give these away at every swap, there may not be many people who still want them, so let me know if you want some, and Ill pot up enough for all takersand a couple extra. The remaining cuttings go on the compost pile!

Sedum reflexum Blue Spruce 6" X 12"+ Full sun yellow July z3
    Evergreen, xeric, will drape over a full sun hanging basket, over rocks, or over a wall.
    Can become "unruly" looking cut down to ground and wait for new growth for thick, compact appearance.

Sedum hybridum 3" X 12"+ Full sun yellow May-Jun z4
    Evergreen, xeric, red winter foliage color

Ill also be potting up a few of each of theseand, same as aboveI can make up as many as are needed, but since I wont be coming to this swap myself, and I dont want to make somebody else drag too much stuff around. Ill pot up enough for requests and a couple extra, so let me know if you want some of any of these!

Sedum album Coral Carpet or Murale 3" X 10"+ Full sun white July z3
    Evergreen, xeric, pink to bronze winter foliage color
    Can be aggressive, even the tiniest pieces will root where they fall

Sedum Angelina 5" X 10"+ Full sun yellow Jun-Jul z3
    Evergreen, xeric, patented, drapes nicely in a full sun hanging basket, over rocks, or over a wall.
    Yellow foliage color in summer, turns pinkish-orangey in winter.

Sedum spurium Tricolor 4" X12"+ Full sun pale pink Jun-Jul z4
    Evergreen, xeric, remove any new growth that has reverted back to plain green
    Pink, white and green in summer, mostly pink in winter

And I just cut my chocolate mint back and Im rooting the cuttings in water and will be sticking them in soil in a week or two. Not sure how many Ill wind up with, but 3 or 4 for sure!

I also have more Acanthus seedlings coming up, and I could easily stick them in pots if anybody wants them, but since nobody has requested any of the ones I already posted yet, Ill probably just pull them out unless somebody speaks up pretty quickly.

The same thing with the Alcea/hollyhocks. These things usually go pretty fast, but no requests so far! I have more seedlings I can pot up, but will also throw them on the compost pile if nobody wants them.

I havent had time to pot up any of the yellow columbine yet (same ones Amester said she has coming up all over by now), and Im glad to stick a few in pots, but, if no takers, its easier to pull them outwhich Ive been doing all summer until recently when I let some grow for the swap! Ive been giving this one away at every swap, so maybe everybody who wants it already has it, but let me know soon if you want one!

If I have time, Im also planning to cut my lavender down since its done blooming for the first time, and at one swap I stuck the clippings in bags and people wanted it for potpourri type things, so if anybody wants a bag full of dried lavender clippings (there should be 2 or 3 bags), let me know. Otherwise it goesyou guessed iton the compost pile!

AND, the prickly pear cactus I have is just getting way too big for where it is, so Im gonna cut off some more of the pads! I dont know what color the flowers aremine doesnt get enough sunbut I guarantee theyre really, really pretty! Theyre really easy to start! All you do is leave them lay around for a monthor twoor ten, and then you stick the bottom of the pad into the soil far enough to "secure" itand wait! Needs FULL sun! Great kid-proof and animal-proof plant! I dont know if this is the kind you can eat or not! If you want one/some, let me know! These wont go on the compost pileduh!but Ill find somebody else who wants them if nobody here does!

Ok, heres what I have earmarked for people so far!

First, I only have two of the Crocosmia, so the first two people who asked for them are the ones that are going to get them. The ones I have are very small, and they havent been too happy in pots in this heat, but I think theyll be ok. I dont know who it was, but at one of the first swaps, there was somebody around here who apparently had a BIG one, because they brought some along that were in gallon pots! Maybe whoever that was will show up again and be willing to bring some more! Mine is spreading pretty slowly, but I should be able to get a couple more small starts for the Spring Swap!

Amester, I have you down for one of the Crocosmias! No special care, just give it plenty of sun. I do tend to have a problem with mites on mine every year, but I dont know if thats a "universal" problem or not! When its still small, repeated spraying with soap water would probably help, but when it gets big, I think that would be impossible! I use a commercial granular systemic on mine, something "real" people cant buy (still have it from my parents a LONG time ago!), but the granular systemics you can buy retail would probably work ok if you started using them early in the yearbefore the mites become apparent, if it turns out you do have a mite problem. Depending on your location and growing conditions, you may not wind up with miteshopefully!

SerpentMoon et al, youre down for the other Crocosmia and an Agastache foeniculum.

Redley, I have you down for an Agastache foeniculumand the Crocosmia are gone for this swap. With a little bit of luck you can get one in spring!

GJ, I have you down for a Black Scallop and a Chocolate Chipand ditto what I told Redley about the Crocosmia!

And Amaryllis, Im gonna try to get you an Anemone sylvestris, but Ive potted a couple up for non-RMG people recently, and Im finding they dont like the heat at all, so Im not sure if itll work in summer. If I cant get one growing for you now, Ill have more next spring.

Thats all I have earmarked for right now. If you asked for something and I missed you, please let me know.

Ill be back,
    Skybird

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Skybird - I'm sorry you won't be able to make it to the swap! Hopefully someone lives close to you will be able to bring your plants, but if not, I'll sure try to (I live at border of Westminster and Broomfield near 36).

I would love your Russian Sage, if it is still available!

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

Skybird,
    Would you tag one of the Angelinas for me?
    Thanks!

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

I think I can make the swap but my schedule is still uncertain.
    I haven't got much since I live in an apartment but here is what I can offer:

Sedum- Autumn Fire
    Lemongrass
    Aloe

Seeds- Erynigium planum- Flat sea holly
    Seeds- Cosmos- white with pink picotee
    Seeds- Oenothera lamarckiana- yellow evening primrose
    Seeds- Morning Glory- Star of Yelta (purple)
    Seeds- Dalea purpurium- Purple prairie clover
    Seeds- Mirablis sp.- Mixed four-o-clocks

I'll accept anything that can take half-day blazing afternoon sun and can live in a container. Houseplants are also good.
    From what was listed above, I'd love some of the sedums and the Ajuga Chocolate Chip.

This will be my first swap. I am looking forward to meeting all of you! Thanks!

• amester
    13 years ago

Oh, Skybird, may I PLEASE have an Ajuga reptans Royalty and an Ajuga reptans Black Scallop'? They're beautiful! I am more than content with one of each but am happy to take as many off of your hands as you'd like to get rid of if no one else wants them.
    Thanks!

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

Skybird,
    Skip tagging the one for me, it appears I may not be attending after all (I still may come but I'm not sure). Either way, it looks very likely that I will be moving soon :-(

• flower_garden
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this group and am looking forward to meeting you all at the swap! I have a fairly new home in Castle Rock, so am working on getting new gardens established and am looking forward to my first year of wintersowing ahead.

I don't have much to share yet except some chocolate mint, one spearmint, and some bags of dry soil polymers if anyone is interested (leftover from a 50 lb. bag we used in landscaping our yard). Let me know if you want something!

If possible, I would like:

Aquilegia Chrysantha and hollyhocks from Skybird

Campanula punctata "Cherry Bells" and iris from jclepine

Raspberries (I thought I saw them posted by someone, but can't find it now) and/or other small fruits like grapes, jostaberries, currants, hardy kiwi, etc.

Thanks! Trish

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

we just came back from our vacation 2 days ago so we have some catching up to do! :)

we (Polygonum, chocolatedog, and i) would like:

Lemongrass
    Seeds- Erynigium planum- Flat sea holly
    (from Kvenkat)

Ajuga 'Black Scallop'
    Angelica
    Hollyhocks
    Acanthus hungaricus- bear's britches
    (from Skybird)

thank you!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Time to get caught up again!

Misty, I think youre the only one whos anywhere near me so far thats going to this swap, so I appreciate your offer to take my stuff! Ill email you in the next couple days to make some arrangements. If anybody else who lives closer decides to go in the next two weeks, we can always switch to them if theyre willing to do it. AndI have you down for the one tiny Russian sage. In case I forget to include this with the plant, I think this one will do much better if you grow it on in the little pot at least until the roots are all the way down to the bottom, and completely saturate it when you water it, and then dont water again till its almost all the way dry.

Amaryllis, I did pot up a couple of the Anemone sylvestris for you, but theyre not looking too good with all the heat weve had! Hopefully theyll perk up a little bit more in the next 2 weeks, but however they look, Im gonna send them along for you to give them a try! If I dont, theyll die while Im on vacation anyway! When you get them, I recommend keeping them in the pots for sure till theyre rooted to the bottom, watering on a wet to almost completely dry cycle, and keep them in a mostly shaded spot. They prefer cold, so if they dont get planted in the ground until fall, that should work out just fine for them. And, in case they dont make it, there will be more at the Spring Swap!

GreenBean, I have you down for an Angelina, and if it turns out that youre not able to be there, it can always be given away to somebody else on the day of the swap! So expect to get it if, hopefully, youre able to go!

Kvenkat, I put you down for: Chocolate Chip Ajuga, Sedum album Coral Carpet, Sedum Angelina, Sedum hybridum, Sedum kamtschaticum Variegatum, Sedum reflexum Blue Spruce, and Sedum spurium Tricolor.

Amy/Amester, PLEASE will you take a couple Royalty and Black Scallop Ajugas??? LOL! YES! Of course you may have them, even without the loud "please!" Im not getting many requests for them this time, so I put you down for two of eachand Im guessin there will be some left over for you during the free-for-all too!

Flower, I have you down for an Aquilegia chrysantha and a hollyhock.

Serpent, et al, I added the one little Angelica, Ajuga Black Scallop, Acanthus, and a hollyhock to your stuff.

I did get several of each of the sedums I listed last time potted up, and here are a couple more things I got done! I potted up a few of the Sedum Tricolor if anybody is interested in that one. I did pot up a few of the yellow columbine, Aquilegia chrysantha. And I potted up a half dozen chocolate mintsand the one have has a really good chocolate scent! I also have a couple of the Delosperma White Nugget ice plantthat are looking kind of mediocre right now, but will probably be ok eventually. And a couple of the Delosperma Kelaidis Mesa Verde ice plant that are in about the same shape right now, but it think they too will do ok with some more time in the pots. And, if anybodys interested, the hollyhocks I have this time are going to be REALLY nice! I put one of the seedlings in each pot, and then, since I have SO many of them, I sprinkled a bunch of seeds in each pot along with the seedling! The seeds are now starting to sprout, so there are going to be a bunch of plants in each potto be planted as "one plant," but theyll probably wind up being multiple\-color plants! And since theyre all started this year, they should all bloom for the first time next year! The dried lavender clippings are no longer available! On Wednesday they all went out to the big Archeological Pyramid theyre building out on Tower Road just north of the airport! And if anybody wants some of the prickly pear cactus pads, speak now or forever hold your peace! Skybird
  • amester
    13 years ago

Yay, Ajugas - I'll take as many as are orphaned! I'd also like to put a bid for one of each of the Delosperma - again, I'll take any that need a home once everyone's had a shot at them. :) Thanks, Skybird.

Trish, I'll be happy to bring a raspberry plant for you.

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

We will be attending (Me and DW) from NE Colorado Springs.

Dont have much to share yet as its been a low production year.

This will be my first gardening swap meet, although DW has been active in the local Flower clubs.

Look forward to meeting all of you and listening to stories.

d

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Is it possible to come to the fall swap without bringing anything? I don't have anything different. You folks have it all!! I'd like to meet you all and learn from you!
    Is it like a pot luck or something. I'd be more than willing to bring food to eat!!
    Thanks

• catladysgarden
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    I'll be bringing daylilies, as usual. I also have some tall bearded iris, Crocosmia 'Lucifer', Crocosmia masonorum, and a couple of Crocosmia'Bressingham Beacon'. I'm also bringing some Echinacea, Russian Hollyhock, and Campanula 'Pink Octopus'.
    Karen

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Skybird,
    That is awesome of you. I would love the ajuga and sedums. Thanks!

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

I can bring some light purple irises. (NO idea what the real name is.) But they are very big and healthy.

Some of my catmint.

{{gwi:1217068}}

Some Lady's mantle.

{{gwi:1217070}}

And some dark purple irises.

{{gwi:1217072}}

I'd like to try some hollihocks, and maybe a rose of Sharon.

Thanks!
    Betty

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

sorie6 ~You do not have to bring anything to come to the swap! We will be having a potluck if you'd like to bring some food but you do not have to bring plants. We'd love to have you!

The swap will be at my home in Castle Rock. Send me a message by clicking next to my username "My Page" so I'll have your email address and I'll send out a mass email to everyone with directions to the swap a week or so before.

Charlene

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

b2alicia - I'd love one of your dark purple irises and lady's mantle, if still available!

The irises I'm bringing look like your light purple irises - I didn't get a pic of mine when they were blooming, so handy you did ;^) I may bring a few others to share, but I'm not sure of the color as they didn't bloom this year and they were freebies I got from someone on another gardening group list. They appear to be smaller plants than the light purples.

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

skybird- could we (Polygonum, chocolate, and I) have a chocolate mint? the one we had DIED! :-(

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

mstywoods, yep, I'll save some of the dark purple irises and lady's mantle for you!

I'd also LOVE some of the campanula,! They look gorgeous. And any of the hollyhocks that are left.

Thanks!

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

I have chocolate mint growing in my herb bed that anyone is welcome to take some cuttings of.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

I'm really looking forward to this! We're probably bringing along a friend who has just moved into a new house and could use some starts. Her house in the Black Forest area -- an open pine forest in an area that often gets winter snows. Any good suggestions for her?

All of our mints died while we were out of town. Bummer! So we're looking for new starts of any kind of mint, including catnip. Chocolate mint, orange mint, pineapple mint, etc., would be especially appreciated.

We'd be happy to add some new irises and/or daylilies to our collection. The ones we planted this spring and last fall are growing nicely. I love the old-fashioned irises, purples and yellows and what-not, the scented ones, etc. I don't care if the flowers are big or small. I am fond of all kinds of daylilies, too.

The May Night salvia plants we picked up in the spring seem to love our area. The local critters leave it alone, and it blooms no matter where we've planted it. If anyone brings some, we'd be happy to put more in. (I've recommended it to my Black Forest friend, too.)

I'm always ready to add hollyhocks to our garden. Several have survived even though they do get nibbled occasionally. Maybe next year will be the year they all bloom.

I'd like some of the columbine seedlings, please. And if anyone has a butterly bush seedling (Buddleia), we'd appreciate that, too. The one we got last fall does not appear to have survived, alas.

Although I love the sedums, the local critters love them even more. Not one survived its outdoor journey to what I thought was a sufficiently well-protected area. They did survive the first nibbling, but then the critters returned about a month later to finish them off. So, Skybird, if you have any extra sedum cuttings, I'll try them again, indoors this time. Any kind is fine. They're all cute.

Skybird, if you have some extra sempervivums, any kind, I'd like more starts, please. I have some indoor ones from you that I love. I would like to transition some of them outdoors for their lovely winter colors/forms, and thus a few extras would be great in case they all get eaten.

I'm also interested in adding new houseplants to my collection.

Kvankat: What kind of aloe are you offering? Thank you for bringing lemongrass for us!

It's good to see another houseplant enthusiast! Would you (or anyone else) be interested in cuttings of Euphorbia trigona, the African Milk Tree? It is an easy-care houseplant that enjoys dry sun and tolerates quite a bit of abuse. It does have thorns, and the sap can be irritating to some. The mama plant came from the Denver Art Museum several decades ago.

Also for anyone interested: I can bring small unrooted cuttings of variegated-leaf lemon-scented geranium, a few unnamed varieties of common coleus, and possibly a few other things if I know who might want something. I might have some holiday cactus (aka Christmas Cactus or Thanksgiving Cactus) cuttings, variety unknown (they're usually shades of fucschia).

There is a small chance that I can bring grape hyacinths to the swap. A friend lives in Grape Hyacinth Heaven, and has offered to bring me a bag of bulbs and seeds when she next thins them out.

Serpent Moon, Chcolate Dog, and I are all part of the same family. So, if you've promised something to one of them, you don't need to add another one for me.

Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing everyone again. Bummer that skybird can't make it, though. We'll miss you!

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

Anyone planning to bring delphiniums?

I would love to swap them for some irises, or Lady's Mantle, or catmint.

Thanks!
    Betty

Original Author
    13 years ago

A quick update here! Since Im not coming to the swap, I thought Id have plenty of time to get everything done that I need to do before I leave on vacation, but I cant believe what all I have left to do!

Sorie, like Charlene said, you dont need to have any plants at all to be welcome at the swap. I dont have time to find it and link it here, but check out the original Fall Swap - 2010 thread for ALL the details. Its down on the second page right now.

For those of you who were looking for CROCOSMIA Lucifer, Im still sending the two tiny ones I have for the two people I promised them to, but for anybody whos looking for it, I recommend you take Catladysgarden up on her offer of some! I think she was probably the person who had some big ones (way bigger than mine!) at one of the swaps a couple years ago!

Amester, I have you down for a couple of each of the Mesa Verde and the White Nugget. Theyre not doing very well, which is why Im giving you two (at least) of them! I recommend keeping them in the pots for another month, and let them go COMPLETELY dry for a couple days at least before you water them thoroughly again. Keep them in sun. Hopefully at least one of them will make it!

B2, I have you down for a hollyhock. If I have time, Ill stick a little pack of seed in for you too. If you plant them outside somewhere, theyll come up naturally, and youll have a bunch of them! Or you could winter sow them too!

Serpent/Polygonum, et al, I have you down for one of the chocolate mints. If Charlene is gonna be giving away cuttings, I recommend you get some of those too. Theyre very easy to start in water, then just pot them up into a small pot for a while before you put them outside if thats what youre gonna do with them. That way youd have pretty good odds of some of them making itand youd just have extras if they all make it!

I also put you down for one of each of: Sedum album Coral Carpet, Sedum Angelina, Sedum hybridum, Sedum kamtschaticum Variegatum, Sedum reflexum Blue Spruce, Sedum spurium Tricolor, and Semp I. I never had time to pot up anymore semps, and I only have two of the Icicle, which Im sure youve gotten before, so Im gonna leave those for others this time. Will be bringing more different ones to the Spring Swap again! But I do also have a couple big trays of sedum cuttings3 varieties I thinkthat I need to get rid of before I leave! Ill stick them in bags and send them along for you and you can make as many cuttings/plants as you want, and throw the rest of them on the compost pileor maybe give some of them to others at the swap if somebody wants some. Did you get one of the How to Root Sedum Cuttings sheets at the last swap? I know I gave away all the ones I brought!

I dont think Im gonna have time to "take anymore requests" or to come back here again to acknowledge them, so if you havent asked for dibs on something yet, youre gonna have to go for it in the "picking" or "free-for-all" parts of the swap this time! Except for the Crocosmia, theres still "extras" left of all the things Im sending!

Have fun everybodyas if you wouldnt! Wish I could be there again, but next springIll Be Back!

Skybird

• amester
    13 years ago

Thanks again, Skybird!
    Polygonum, I had you and Serpentmoon down for catmint, iris, daylilies and callirhoe - the callirhoe babies are getting rabbitized (read: chomped down to nothing) but hopefully I will still have a couple by the 11th!
    I also put you/your friend in Black Forest down for salvia, more iris and daylilies, and columbine.
    Can't wait!

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Polygonum,
    I have aloe vera. Nothing exotic.
    Sure, I would love a cutting of your African Milk Tree. How fast does it grow?

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

The Euphorbia trigona grows fairly quickly when it's happy -- several inches per year. It grows vertically, mostly. If a thorn breaks off, it will put out a new branch at that spot. Several times per year, it puts out green leaf-like bracts all along the upper edges of the stem, usually along the new or near-new growth.

They can grow to be quite tall -- our oldest plant is probably about 6-8' tall by now.

It's very easy to root. Stick it in dirt and wait. We get about 80-90% success using that method.

• amester
    13 years ago

Karen, can I put in a bid for a 'Pink Octopus', please? How is Jolie?

Polygonum, I'd also love to try an Euphorbia trigona - what a looker! As soon as I have something cooler than spider plants to share I'll let you all know. :)

Betty, if you could save one of the dark purple iris for me I'd appreciate it.

I think I need to re-post my 'haves' from the other thread - Nepeta 'Walker's Low' catmint, yellow columbine (from Skybird's original - blooms like crazy!), tall bearded iris (lavender standards, dark purple falls, yellow beards), daylilies, centranthus ruber (valerian), a few raspberry plants, 'Cherry Bells' campanula, and a few viola labradorica that I just noticed.
    I also have purple larkspur and pink hollyhock seeds if anyone wants them.

• ragrif
    13 years ago

I will be bringing mint, some Hollyhock and some trumpet vines.
    Rosie

• ragrif
    13 years ago

I need the address of the swap.
    Also, would like to have some Black Eyed Susans and some "small" Sunflowers.
    Rosie

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

ragrif, can we (Polygonum, chcolatedog, and i) have one trumpet vine? please? Thanks!!!!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

I'm probably bringing bulbs, mixed (meaning I don't know the colors) Darwin Tulip and Narcissus bulbs, also mixed. I've really been stumped this summer deciding what to bring. None of my plants seemed division worthy.
    I'd love a daylilly(s), echinacea and iris.
    Charlene, if you need anything set up wise, ask for it. Let us know if we can bring chairs, etc.
    I'm so looking forward to seeing all of you.
    Barb

• jclepine
    13 years ago

Barb, I'll add you to my list for irises! Can I have some narcissus bulbs? I love that smell...

Jennifer

Just to catch up and check-in, here is my list. How's it look, did I miss anyone??

Iris:
    Polygonum, Serpent Moon, Redley Gardner, GJ Mancini, Misty Woods, Tree Barb.

Cherry Bells:
    Redley Gardner, GJ Mancini, Flower Garden.

J.

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

Happy Labor day weekend to all. Skybird, Im so sorry you cant make it, you will be missed.

This will probably be my last time to post and be online, so here is what I have promised and last minute requests. I know its getting late in the game, so if my last minute requests arent answered I understand.

Additional Request/wish from:
    Amester-yellow columbine, rasberry
    Kvenkat-Autumnfire sedum, lemongrass
    catlady-crocosmia-lucifer and masonrum,echinecea, campanula
    B2Alicia-ladys mantle
    treebarb-tulips,narcisus

Promised to:
    Serpentmoon-catmint
    Jen-purple iris
    mstywoods-purple iris, crab apple

Cant wait to see you all.

Gloria

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

I just got back from picking up all Skybird's plants for the fall swap. She has everything very nicely organized - of course! :^) All have care tags, and those that are for specific requests are all boxed/bagged together with your names on them.

I'll do my very best to take care of them till this Saturday!! I may need some help getting all of them from my car on swap day - there are quite a few!!!

Skybird - so sorry you won't be at the swap, but your trip sounds like it will be wonderful! Thanks so much for putting together all of these cuttings for all of us. Hope to see you at the spring swap!!

Marj

Original Author
    13 years ago

RAGRIF, you need to go to Charlenes "My Page" and send her a private messageclick on Send Me an Emailand send her YOUR email address so she can send you her address and directions on how to get there. If she doesnt have your email address, you wont get the info you need.

Happy Swapping, everyone! Looks like the weather should be perfect for you! I hopeweather permittingto be hiking a couple slot canyons in Utah while youre all busy swapping.

Ill be looking for the pictures when I get back home! Somebody take another group picture like we did at the Spring Swap for our "archives!" You can always have Darren do it, since he REFUSES to get in any of the pictures!

Hope to see your place next year again, Charlene!

Have fun,
    Skybird

P.S. For the newbies the pink information slips with my plants are PAPER! If you leave them out with the plants when you plant them, theyll GO AWAY! If you want to know what you have, keep the slip inside and mark the plant with something weatherproof!

• jclepine
    13 years ago

Actually, you (or someone) took quite a few pictures of Darren in the Spring. He liked the one in which he was balancing on the ropes.

He might not be able to make it but I'll be sure to bring and use my camera!!

:)
    J

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

Hi all,

I sent out an email with directions to the fall swap a few minutes ago to everyone who rsvp'd to my personal email (through the forum's MyPage).

If you didn't receive the email and you are planning on coming please email me again and I'll get the info to you asap.

Thanks and looking forward to it!!!

Charlene

Oh, I didn't put in the email but maybe a few more chairs might be needed? I'll have a few blankets set out too. I'm a bit embarrassed because my lawn is dormant and ugly with how dry it's been and we're on a private well (wells have been known to go dry in our neighborhood) so I just can't justify spending the water on the lawn. I'd rather spend my water on the veggie garden and I can't wait to show you!!

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Thanks Charlene!! Got the directions you sent out. I'll bring at least one chair along with me. I'm going to bring a dessert (of course!), but also a savory dish and possibly some watermelon (if ours looks ripe enough!).

I plan on bringing some of my swiss chard leaves to share for anyone who wants some - we have a BUNCH of it, and come to find out, my DH doesn't care for it. I've been giving some away to friends and neighbors, but still have so much left (it is very prolific).

Along with all of Skybirds plants, I will be bringing a few of my light purple iris (one earmarked for jclepine)and snapdragons to swap. I also have some small primrose plantlings and a couple of varigated hostas. They don't look too good right now, unfortunately, as they had been hidden underneath my large hosta and weren't getting much sun and got some bugs chewing on the leaves. But with some care, they should revive!

See you on Saturday.

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward to Saturday!

mstywoods,
    I'm saving some dark purple irises for you, as well as the lady's mantle.

amester,
    I'm saving some dark purple irises for you.

gjmancini,
    I'm saving some lady's mantle for you.

Skybird,
    Thanks for the hollihocks!

I'll still be bringing those light purple irises.. they're very regal-looking and showy. Also, I'll be bringing some of that catmint.

When I thinned out and transplanted my irises last time (Oct 08), I had about a zillion extras, and gave them away to my neighbors and co-workers.

Here's a BEFORE shot.

Then I dug them all up, washed off their little dirty feet, and separated them. Then replanted about half of them.

Here's a RIGHT AFTER shot.

And here we are, 3 months ago.

Oh....um, oops. As you see, I got some of them mixed up. I think I can pick out the peachy colored ones, if anyone would especially like those.

I'll be transporting them the way my momma taught me - bare roots, in a big tub of water. I'll bring ziplock bags so you can keep them wet until you get home. Then, if it will be a day or two until you can plant them, you might want to put them in a big clean plastic bowl with fresh water, just deep enough to keep the roots wet. I'd leave them outside, but not in direct sun. You probably already know the little trench arrangement for putting them in the dirt, but if not , I'll show you on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing all of you!.
    Betty

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

b2alicia: can we (Polygonum, chcolatedog, and I) have some irises?
    thanks!!!

• amester
    13 years ago

Betty, I'll take peach iris too if that's easy for you (they're gorgeous!!) but don't make trouble for yourself. :)
    Thanks!

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

Looks like we might be bringing about 15 named Iris varieties to swap, maybe 3 or 4 of each. Too much typing to enter here, but there will be names and pictures, GLWACDR. Hope to get them Thursday.

Also some 'maters to sample.

• jclepine
    13 years ago

Uggg, I'm not going to be able to make it!!! My car needs new bushings etc. and the car guys did not think it a good idea to drive it. I have TONS of irises that I've already dug up!!

I'm really sorry all but I just don't want to be unsafe on the road.

I'll still have lots of cherry bells for the spring swap because they are spreading and I'll just replant the irises elsewhere and re-dig them in time for the next fall swap.

I'm pretty bummed but they can't fix it right away, I had to schedule it for next week :(

I'm going to miss the whole thing and all of you and those of you I've never even met.

AND, I have tons of utensils left over from the spring swap that I had planned on bringing, so, hopefully someone can bring those.

Sorry all, see you in the Spring...

Jennifer

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Awww, so sorry you won't be able to make it Jennifer! But definitely understand about the car problems - no fun when those happen :^( You are wise not to drive it if it's not safe!!

Maybe someone in the group lives close enough to you to bring your irises that you've already dug up for the swap? If not, there is always the spring swap, as you say!! I will probably have more to bring at that time as well - I have some that didn't bloom this year, so wanted to wait to see if/when they do so I know what color they are.

Take care,
    Marj

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Jennifer,
    Where do you live? Maybe one of us can pick you up?

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

I hope it's not too late to ask for a few of the narcissus.

Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear about your car. I hope that somehow things work out. If not, then we'll miss you, and we'll look forward to seeing you at a future plant swap!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

Polugonum, Not too late at all, I'm bringing over 50 each of Narcissus and Tulips. I've set some aside for you and Gmancini. See you in a few hours!
    Barb

• jclepine
    13 years ago

I should have checked the thread again! I hadn't thought about getting a ride with someone! But, I'm out in Nederland so it is kind of an awkward place to get to...although, I could have taken the bus to Boulder...

Thanks for suggesting a ride, good to know.

I'll be it was a ton of fun and am looking forward to seeing some photos...

Jennifer