SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Backsplash tile ---why not painted wood molding as liner?

Nancy in Mich
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I am finishing up the planning on my secont kitchen. The firs is in the FK Blog from 2003 total remodel. Now I am in a different house, and having done it the expensive way last time, I am trying to save money this time. I bought a kitchen online at Green Demolitions for $3500, got half price new induction range, faucet and counter stools from Craigslist, got single instead of double oven, am doing polished porcelain tile for the island work surface and laminate for perimeter counters. We are using left over tumbled marble from 2003 as field tiles on the backsplash. Our only two splurges are the Marmoleum floor and the tile listello for the back splash. It is a simple pattern with Giallo Venezia on the upper and lower border and one GV diamond every foot. The background tile is off white.

Here is my question. We loved the bronze liner available in resin for the island edge trim, but decided that maple is harder, won't shatter if struck with something, and is LOTS cheaper. Once you paint it bronze metallic and use a dark antiquing glaze, who will know the difference? That leaves me asking the same question about the backsplash. Why can't I use a wooden pencil/rope/beaded liner (primed, painted, antiqued, and sealed) both above and below my listello? It will better define the expensive stone, tying the dark bronze of the pencil/rope/beaded liner into the dark bronze of the Wilsonart HD Luna Crest counter laminate? It also costs maybe $259 less!

The listello is not yet available for a picture, maybe tomorrow.

Comments (20)