SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arielleeve

Messy Edge Where Mosaic Tile Backsplash Meets Wood Counter

arielleeve
8 years ago

Curious to get people's thoughts on this. We had our butcherblock counters and mosaic herringbone tile backsplash installed "professionally" and I think they did a pretty bad job at the bottom edges where the tile meets the counters, and also behind the farmhouse sink. In both instances they used grout instead of caulk, so soon after everything settled a bit it started to crack. In addition, I think they did a messy job cutting the tiles, although my husband thinks anyone would have a hard time cutting precisely with the tiles we selected, and thinks we just made a poor selection for backsplash tiles. We bought some caulk to match the grout and my husband scraped out the grout and went over the seam with that, which I thought would help mask the imperfections, but I don't think it really made much of a difference. Part of the issue is I think the gap between the edge of the tile and the counter (or sink) is just too big.

My questions:

1) Does this look as bad to everyone else as it does to me? Or am I being nitpicky? Our contractor did such a sloppy job with so many things, it's hard not to get crazy over it all.

2) Is there anything that can be done, short of retiling the whole thing, to fix it, or make it look better? Do you think if my husband had done a better job of the caulk, it would have helped? The sink is clearly the worst, I think it's where the gap was the largest (the dummies installed the tile before putting the sink in, the whole thing cracked, and then they did a totally half assed job to fix it, just patching with grout instead of redoing some of the tile as they should have). Also, he used bright white caulk for that one because he wanted to use silicone, which didn't come in the color to match the grout, as did at the counters. So I think it calls more attention to the imperfections.

Any advice would be appreciated. (And for the record, we have already cut ties with the contractor in question as fighting with him to correct his mistakes was just too emotionally draining, and usually his attempts to fix things ended up worse than when we started, so we gave up.) We are willing to pay someone to do some professional work, but I don't want to end up paying thousands of dollars for what is at the end of the day *fairly* minor.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County