SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Lighting layout...really need feedback on this plan!

homebuyer23
10 years ago

Can anyone help me with my lighting plan? The electrician came today and I tried to mock up on here the rough lighting layout we came up with. He's coming back tomorrow to wire it, yikes! I'm nervous now, I have no idea if this amount of recessed lighting is adequate. They had that "its totally up to you how many recessed lights you want" attitude, not very helpful, but at least not pushy, just...blah.

The small red & yellow circles are 4" recessed lights...I'm supposed to tell them what kind of lighting I want in those cans, but they balked when I mentioned LED, apparently that was not factored into original estimate and they are $50 ea for bulbs. Not sure that's something I want to upgrade to? Does anyone do incandescent lights anymore? They mentioned fluorescent and halogen too...don't think I want those, but how do I know? Any recs for what type of lighting in these cans that wont blow the budget?

The larger yellow circles are wiring for pendants/chandeliers. I know I want wiring for a chandelier over the dining table.

I'm not sure about island vs. peninsula lighting. I'm thinking a single lantern type pendant over my island. My inspiration photos have this. The island is small (24x54) so any more than 1 would be too cramped I think.
But, is that enough lighting? Do I need more cans?/ Would you put pendants over the peninsula or a pendant over the sink? I'll have a 70" window bumpout there, thought a little pendant might look nice...?

But I don't want to over do anything. I like the idea of having one or 2 really nice light fixtures in this fairly open concept.

Please advise!
There will be wiring for sconces flanking fireplace, not sure if I'm going to use them or not.

Oh, and then theres UCL they want me to pick. soon.

I admittedly haven't searched the forum to death on this yet. Everytime I do a search & start reading, this topic blows my mind. I was going to just let the electrician decide but he wasn't as helpful or knowledgeable as I had hoped for. Just hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some specifics, or point me to the best place to quickly educate myself on this...thanks!

Comments (4)